Summit St. Thomas to Trunk Bay question?

captdave

I have done this twice on the Summit before (a few years ago).

We would like to spend Max Time at Trunk Bay. We don't want to miss the ferry back to the Summit also.

What are our options?

11637161155_c0bbb49a01_b.jpg

CaptDave

Edited by captdave

I looked into this the last two cruises and found the ship transportation was the safest bet - not that much more and very convenient. It gave us enough time without having to worry about missing the ship. And I never take ship sponsored tours -

I can't seem to find Trunk Bay on Shore Excursions?

14477509810_1d50a57b79_b.jpg

CaptDave

Edited by captdave

We almost NEVER do any excursions...but this is one trip where I think the ship's excursion is the prudent way to go. Between getting to the ferry, then to the beaches, back to the ferry and back to the ship...letting the cruise line take care of it is the easiest way!

The ship excursion is just getting you to St. John - from there you are on your own. We just jumped into a taxi and went to Trunk Bay and back to ferry.

But you are guaranteed the ship will wait for you if your ferry is late whereas if you do it on your own and your ferry is late you may be out of luck.

We have also done the ship's excursion and then a taxi. Also in agreement it's the way to go. We have also gone ourselves ( taxi to red hook, ferry, etc ) but didn't really save very much. We also enjoyed the boat ride and commentary tonSt. John's on the ship excursion..

I can't seem to find Trunk Bay on Shore Excursions?

The ship excursion STE8 All Inclusive St. John Beach & Snorkel

goes to Trunk Bay - "Round trip ferry and ground transportation in St John included."

But it lists the tour duration as 4 hours, so I think it would be better to use the ship's ferry for transportation to St. John, but do Trunk Bay on your own if you can spend more time there that way.

Excursion STO8 St. John Ultimate Island & Nat'l Park Beaches

also goes to Trunk Bay, for 2.5 hours at the beach, but it says that a $6 taxi ride back to the ferry is not included.

Edited by varoo

The ship excursion STE8 All Inclusive St. John Beach & Snorkel

goes to Trunk Bay - "Round trip ferry and ground transportation in St John included."

But it lists the tour duration as 4 hours, so I think it would be better to use the ship's transportation to St. John, but doTrunk Bay on your own if you can spend more time there that way.

I will look that one up,...thanks!!!

CaptDave

It's called self explore st john. 10 am to 4pm. We did it in april and Oct. Worth it

I do have a question about this tour, does the ferry leave from the where the Summit docks (crown bay) or do you still have to get red hook or another ferry terminal?

We took the excursion to explore St. John's National Park back in October. The ferry picked us up a short walk from the ship at Crown Bay. There were a number of excursion takers on the ferry including those who were doing St. John on their own. I was disappointed in the St. John Park tour. ( would have likedto see the areas where more people live on St. John.)I would do St. John on my own the next time.

Edited by hancock

We took the excursion to explore St. John's National Park back in October. The ferry picked us up a short walk from the ship at Crown Bay. There were a number of excursion takers on the ferry including those who were doing St. John on their own. I was disappointed in the St. John Park tour. ( would have likedto see the areas where more people live on St. John.)I would do St. John on my own the next time.

Thank you. That will make it very easy. We are choosing the St John on your own, pricing seems to be about the same as getting there ourselves but we'll have the piece of mind of a ships tour. :D

I've done the Celebrity excursion once and we've gone on our own twice. The ship excursion is the "safest" but I prefer going on our own. For the excursion, we met at 10 on the pier, waited around for the big group to gather. It's a longer boat ride going all the way from the port rather than from Red Hook. It was about 11:30 before we got to Cruz Bay. We got to Trunk Bay and it was so crowded there literally wasn't any place to lay our towels down. We stayed about an hour, had time for a quick lunch in Cruz Bay before we had to be at the boat to come back. When going on our own we make the 9 am ferry and are at Trunk Bay about 9:30. We take the 2 pm ferry back. We have a lot more time there and beat the crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done it both ways, ship and self tours, and the next time we will head to Red Hook and ferry over. I know the Crown Point dock is farther but the ride can get a little bumpy even from Havensight. Plus your time is much more limited on the ship's excursion. Just plan for afternoon traffic over the hills and through town and you will have a better beach or touring day.

We did Trunk Bay last February on a Summit Cruise. We did the trip by ourselves. When we got off the ship in St. Thomas we took a taxi - really a truck with seats on the back - to Red Hook. At Red Hook we took the ferry to Cruz Bay. Once at Cruz Bay there are plenty of "taxis" to take you to Trunk Bay. We spent a few hours at Trunk Bay and did some snorkeling. When we were done, we took a taxi back to Cruz Bay, had lunch and then took the ferry back to St. Thomas.

Trunk Bay is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. The water is beautiful, the sand is white. Just gorgeous.

Go it alone.

The ferries are super reliable and leave St John every hour.

We usually manage to be one of the first in line to get off the ship and where the ferry back runs every hour, we manage to get an extra hour or 2 in vs the cruise line excursion. To us, it's worth it. Just make sure you get the 2nd to last ferry you could get and you'll be fine. E.g, if boarding is 5pm, get the 3 back vs the 4.

Btw, Cinnamon Bay is just a little bit farther down the road past Trunk Bay. Same water, decent changing facilities, they have rentals like snorkel gear, it's much less crowded and, it's free to get in. Only thing it lacks is that reef area out of Trunk Bay but for me, all the other things minus the crowd and fee have made it my new go to place.

If you want the most time there, do it yourself - I agree with the previous poster. I also agree that Cinnamon Bay is great. I recommend going to Trunk Bay once if you've never been - if you get there early. Otherwise, go on to Cinnamon. We actually found good snorkeling out around the island there.

We chose Cinnamon Bay over Trunk bay a couple of years ago, and was a little disappointed. The water was a little murkey, but it was probably the same at Trunk bay due to the sea conditions. Still a great do it yourself excursion with a beautiful beach. Catch a painkiller at the beach bar by the Ferry at Cruz Bay.

We chose Cinnamon Bay over Trunk bay a couple of years ago, and was a little disappointed. The water was a little murkey, but it was probably the same at Trunk bay due to the sea conditions. Still a great do it yourself excursion with a beautiful beach. Catch a painkiller at the beach bar by the Ferry at Cruz Bay.

I LOVE that restaurant/bar! Best BBCs I've had and great chicken wings!