Booking in Euros from UK

UKPete71

Is this an issue? If so what do CC do with the booking?

I'm looking at a transatlantic next year and if I book it via .com in Euros rather than the .co.uk site I can save around £300.

I wondered if the site would convert the rate to GBP when I got to the payment screen but it didn't.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this? I've tried to search the forums but couldn't find anything.

Is this an issue? If so what do CC do with the booking?

I'm looking at a transatlantic next year and if I book it via .com in Euros rather than the .co.uk site I can save around £300.

I wondered if the site would convert the rate to GBP when I got to the payment screen but it didn't.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this? I've tried to search the forums but couldn't find anything.

I did the very same thing in September for a cruise in the Med the price in Euro was a total of £450 cheaper than booking through the Uk or with mt American agent.But the booking went through the French site and all correspondence was in French! Then when the price dropped there was no way they would honor the new price. I cancelled and booked with my usual agent even after the cancellation charge I was still £600 better off, lesson learnt.

So at check-in they don't worry whether residency matches currency the cruise was paid for?

As a UK resident I guess they would expect me to pay for the cruise in GBP rather than Euros.

This is the bit that concerns me a little.

- At least one guest in the stateroom must be a resident of the promotion-eligible State.

- A valid driver's license or state-issued ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility for any applicable Exclusive Rate.

- If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding

Am I worrying about nothing?

So at check-in they don't worry whether residency matches currency the cruise was paid for?

As a UK resident I guess they would expect me to pay for the cruise in GBP rather than Euros.

Given how many Brits purchase though TAs in the US, this simply can't be applied.

You can pay in any currency.

Stuart

Just remember, wherever you book, it won't be as flexible as a US booking ;). As the poster above has pointed out ;)

So I gather, although I've no experience of doing this. The question is whether I book a cruise only deal, or whether I find one that includes a flight.

So I gather, although I've no experience of doing this. The question is whether I book a cruise only deal, or whether I find one that includes a flight.

In the U.K., you pay a significant premium to book for a flight-cruise package. Celebrity UK commonly use low cost airlines yet can charge twice or more the price of booking direct. Even if you fly to the European departure port the night before, to ensure not missing the flight, it's cheaper to book direct.

I believe things are much better flying from the US through the 'Choice Air' system.

Stuart

Check the prices from both sides of the pond and all of the other issues that you need to take into consideration for your particular circumstances (this can be worth more than paying a few extra dollars to some pax) :). If you want price drops, flexibility in moving cabins, extra TA OBC, refundable deposits etc., then book over the other side of the pond - remember that the exchange rate will obviously come into play though. When booking over here, you basically have to be happy with the initial deal because it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to change without being penalised ;).

Regarding flights, we book cruise only and arrange our own. When you are family, the cost saving can be immense, even with paying for an extra night's accommodation ;). I'd definitely say to do the costings for all possibilities and you see which works out more favourable for your particular circumstances ;).

The quote you posted I think refers to special rates for US residents, such as Florida and other states they sometimes get special offers. Like senior rates if you book with these they check your age to see you are eligible.