Epcot: NCL excursion or rent car?

Poipu04

We will be on the Breakaway in Feb. We are two adults and have been to Epcot many times. It's my favorite WDW park. I have already bought the tickets, so we just need to decide if we rent a car or take the transfer only NCL excursion. Which choice allows us to squeeze in the most time?

FYI: We were on the Jewel and rented a car and did Epcot on our own. The only part that was a little dicey was finding a cab after we dropped our car off to Avis. We called but one never showed up!

We know time is short and are happy to have 3 or 4 hours to make a beeline to our favorite 3 or 4 things.

I would like to hear from people who have done Epcot or WDW from the Breakaway and have real life experience because time is shorter on the Breakaway then it was on the Jewel.

We will be on the Breakaway in Feb. We are two adults and have been to Epcot many times. It's my favorite WDW park. I have already bought the tickets, so we just need to decide if we rent a car or take the transfer only NCL excursion. Which choice allows us to squeeze in the most time?

FYI: We were on the Jewel and rented a car and did Epcot on our own. The only part that was a little dicey was finding a cab after we dropped our car off to Avis. We called but one never showed up!

We know time is short and are happy to have 3 or 4 hours to make a beeline to our favorite 3 or 4 things.

I would like to hear from people who have done Epcot or WDW from the Breakaway and have real life experience because time is shorter on the Breakaway then it was on the Jewel.

i would recommend the ship transfer ONLY because Florida traffic is so bad with accidents, etc. even if all goes smoothly with your rental car, if you get delayed, you are doomed. also, unless you have priority disembark, the line to get off of breakaway could take some time. in our experience, people line up early in the stairwells despite being told not to.

Rent a car. You have minimal time as it is, and it is peak season, so the park will be crowded. You can't afford to waste the bus time.

This is a very slow season for the park, unless you are going President's Day weekend, which is always crowded. I think the criteria that I would use to decide is two fold. When does the tour leave in relation to when the ship docks, compared to how long you think it will take you get get and return the renatl car. One other consideration, albeit small is that the tour will let you off closer to the entrance than you can park your car.

You have to do your own calculations based on time. The time you are docked in Port Canaveral is 1pm to 9. I was on the BA last month. You have to be back onboard at least 1 hour before they depart port canaveral.

If you have researched how to get to and from the car rental place from the boat + your travel time then the decision will become easier for you to make.

I was on an excursion (not Disney) and our meet time was 1:15, we left by 1:30.

I assume most excursions leave around then b/c there were several buses leaving around the time we left. The NCL excursion is supposed to be a bit safer b/c the boat waits if the group is late from what I read, but if you're on your own + not back you will be left.

Thanks for the replies. We are going to be there on Valentine's Day, which is the week before President's day. Getting and returning the rental car is the luck of the draw. Last time Avis only had one employee but we were second or third in line.

Epcot has added a new festival that runs through February 20. Festival days run Fridays through Mondays, so there may be increased crowds on those days.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/11/all-new-epcot-international-festival-of-the-arts-coming-to-walt-disney-world-in-january-2017/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Epcot has added a new festival that runs through February 20. Festival days run Fridays through Mondays, so there may be increased crowds on those days.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/11/all-new-epcot-international-festival-of-the-arts-coming-to-walt-disney-world-in-january-2017/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the head's up :) Valentine's day is on a weekday in 2017, and it looks like the festival is on weekends. However, I am seriously considering the NCL transfer to Epcot this time around. I already have the rental car reserved but wonder if I can get off the ship faster with the transfer. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the head's up :) Valentine's day is on a weekday in 2017, and it looks like the festival is on weekends. However, I am seriously considering the NCL transfer to Epcot this time around. I already have the rental car reserved but wonder if I can get off the ship faster with the transfer. Hmmmm.

Unless you feel like you can get off the ship and get the rental car in less than 30 minutes you should probably use the NCL transfer. Remember that if you do rent the car that you will need to be back to return the car at least an hour before sail away to allow yourself to be back on board the required 30 minutes prior to departure.

FYI Valentine's Day is Tuesday February 14, 2017. The park is open until 9:00 that day, and there are extra magic hours in both halves until 11. EPCOT is the only park with extra magic hours that day, so keep that in mind as you plan as it will get busier after 5:00.