A couple of Celebrity Rants

Hlitner

We sailed on the Summit in late August. There are only two specialty restaurants (if you don't count Bistro on Five/Sushi on Five). Qzine and Tuscan.

We found our second experience at Qzine to be totally horrible. The food was cold and overly spiced, despite our repeated requests for only "non hot" selections. The first time a year earlier was great.

We had lunch at Tuscan on a sea day. It was fabulous. I had the Branzini and it was cooked and flavored to perfection. Although the spinach was very heavy on the garlic and next time I would request far less. My mother's meal was also fabulous. Well worth the $20 pp and we look forward to eating dinner there next time around.

Requesting the everyday classic items from the MDR in Blu is not a hardship. The kitchens are co-located on the Summit. The wait staff even announces the everyday selections when they greet you in Blu.

We enjoyed every meal in Blu with the exception of the "top chef at sea" night. It was really terrible. We both had halibut (I believe) cooked in parchment with a lobster stew sauce. Very odd to have a sauce that has potatoes and carrots in it. The halibut was so over cooked it was difficult to cut. The appetizers and deserts were equally odd and unappetizing. Whole meal was poorly conceived. However, every other night there were delicious options. Not the very best cuisine I have ever had, but quite well done considering the price and circumstances for preparation. Remember too that they can not source locally in most ports. Unlike land based restaurants that can change their menus to match what is in season and grown locally, and sourced daily.

I second the branzina. We also went for lunch as we had obc t spend!

We sailed on the Summit in late August. There are only two specialty restaurants (if you don't count Bistro on Five/Sushi on Five). Qzine and Tuscan.

We found our second experience at Qzine to be totally horrible. The food was cold and overly spiced, despite our repeated requests for only "non hot" selections. The first time a year earlier was great.

We had lunch at Tuscan on a sea day. It was fabulous. I had the Branzini and it was cooked and flavored to perfection. Although the spinach was very heavy on the garlic and next time I would request far less. My mother's meal was also fabulous. Well worth the $20 pp and we look forward to eating dinner there next time around.

Requesting the everyday classic items from the MDR in Blu is not a hardship. The kitchens are co-located on the Summit. The wait staff even announces the everyday selections when they greet you in Blu.

We enjoyed every meal in Blu with the exception of the "top chef at sea" night. It was really terrible. We both had halibut (I believe) cooked in parchment with a lobster stew sauce. Very odd to have a sauce that has potatoes and carrots in it. The halibut was so over cooked it was difficult to cut. The appetizers and deserts were equally odd and unappetizing. Whole meal was poorly conceived. However, every other night there were delicious options. Not the very best cuisine I have ever had, but quite well done considering the price and circumstances for preparation. Remember too that they can not source locally in most ports. Unlike land based restaurants that can change their menus to match what is in season and grown locally, and sourced daily.

I found the service in the M DR on the summit very lacking last summer. I complained to the Maitre d about the Sommelier who rarely came to ask if we would like drinks until we were on at least our second course. The pre paid gratuities allocated to him were removed from our bill. So it pays to point out any deficiencies. I think service has gone down as they know they will get prepaid gratuities and are not working for tips like they used to. Also I feel staff ratios have been cut even though the stats don't reflect this.

Please note I do not have any cruises listed in my signature but It DOESNT MEAN I HAVENT CRUISED BEFORE!!!

Hi,

we have been on the Summit (Aqua) three times in the past year. While we have never been "given" a MDR menu I have asked for items off the menu and have never been refused. I get waffles for breakfast at least 2 times a cruise.

We did the same thing as above when we sailed on the Equinox. We just asked and our server provided.

I don't need to look at Hank's cruise history since it is way too extensive to list on a silly CC profile. We don't have any of our 65+/800 days listed either. So yes, I will praise the advice of someone who knows of what he speaks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

You missed my point. It doesn't matter how many cruises a person has been on. Everyone's tastes are different.

You were the one who compared the amount of cruises that were indicated. One can praise the advice of an experienced cruiser but we all have different ideas of what tastes good.

There are things my husband eats that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole and vise versa....and we've been married for 30 years.

I didn't mean to offend.

The issue with wine service, in Blu or the MDR, can be a bit frustrating. But we follow a very simple rule. We do not order any food until we have our wine. The waiters quickly understand and usually make sure we quickly get the Sommelier in Blu or pours in the MDR.

Hank

The issue with wine service, in Blu or the MDR, can be a bit frustrating. But we follow a very simple rule. We do not order any food until we have our wine. The waiters quickly understand and usually make sure we quickly get the Sommelier in Blu or pours in the MDR.

Hank

We have done the same with the same effect...:)

Just back from 14 days on the Eclipse (been on this vessel 6 or 7 times) which was, overall, a great cruise. But we do have a few rants (not new issues).

1. The sandwich bar/lunch meats in the Lido buffet. To be kind, the meat selection is near rubbish! If you except roast beef, decent corned beef. pastrami, good turkey, decent salami, Italian meats, etc.. you will be disappointed in a big way. What you get is often "mystery" meats which even baffle the servers (if you ask them what it is). Perhaps it is "Olive Loaf," or some other cheap cut....but most of these meats would be shameful on a real budget line!

2. Salad bars without lettuce or Romaine? It happened on numerous days...not to mention empty salad dressing bottles. And the quality of ice cream in the Lido has really gone downhill in the past couple of years.

3. My final rant has to do with constant annoying loud noise on the pool deck during most afternoons. There is simply no need for the cruise director's staff to do loud play by play for a pool game attended by 4 passengers...while several hundred others are trying to relax, chat, listen to their own music, etc.

4. We have probably done our last cruise in Blu (Aqua Class). We love the venue and the staff. But the dinner menus leave much to be desired and one can quickly grow tired of repetitive stuff such as osso bucco, short ribs (as both a main and a starter), ravioli with short rib filling, lamb shank (that was just like the short ribs and osso bucco), etc. They did serve prime rib one night, which was less then an inch thick and covered with a brown gravy (yuck). We are certainly not new to Blu, but its now history as we think even the MDR has a better menu.

Otherwise it was a great cruise. To end on a positive note we thought Murano was beyond excellent (had 2 dinners and lunch) and Qsine was marvelous as always.

Our advice would be to avoid Aqua Class, book a better located balcony (many Aqua cabins are in a lousy location just under the pool deck with a balcony in a giant shadow). The money you save by not booking Aqua can then be put to better use by enjoying some of the alternative dining venue.

Hank

P.S. The most expensive dining venue is now the mediocre Tuscan Grill...if one partakes of the "add-on" steak options. Think of it. First you pay for your cruise....which includes food. Then you pay extra (up to $50 per person) for better food (which is often about the same quality we saw in MDRs many years ago). And now, they want you to pay additional ala carte add-ons! We expect that Celebrity will soon have a sur charge for metal cutlary (with plastic being the default).

Hank

Hank,

Glad that you still had a nice cruise. I hope you put ALL in your " comments". I just came back from 10 days on Equinox and already express my opinion of BLU on these boards, and also noticeable decrease in variety and quality of some food in OV: we had decent selection or sandwich meats, but selection of cheeses was a disgrace. American cheese, and maybe one or two unknown cheeses, not once we had good ( gourmet??) cheeses, not even a brie. No more dry fruit either.

We still had a nice cruise, but will rethink a booking cabin category.

You absolutely correct - money saved, can be used in specialty restaurant.

I think it is X goal. Murano was completely booked on our cruise.

Saw a friend recently in Infinity who is from food services at a Miami HQRRIS. He told me that the Blu menus are scheduled to be the next to be updated. I am in AQ twice in January and I'll see if there are changes. On the Silhouette TA dinners in the MDR were consistently excellent, at least for my choices and taste. The Executive Chef was on loan from Azamara and took some of us on a special Galley tour.

2 weeks ago on Equinox we were told that new menus in BLU should be out in about 3 months. Hopefully they change awful dessert menu in BLU.

Hank

Brilliant idea! I'm going to try that one😜

Just back from 14 days on the Eclipse (been on this vessel 6 or 7 times) which was, overall, a great cruise. But we do have a few rants (not new issues).

1. ...If you except roast beef, decent corned beef. pastrami, good turkey, decent salami, Italian meats, etc.. you will be disappointed in a big way. ....

Hank

I certainly wouldn't except those, as roast beef is my favorite, and a good pastrami is a close second. So, thanks, I'll be looking forward to some delicious stuff next month.

I certainly wouldn't except those, as roast beef is my favorite, and a good pastrami is a close second. So, thanks, I'll be looking forward to some delicious stuff next month.

You mis-understood. You WILL NOT find any of those products (Roast Beef, Pastrami, or decent corned beef) at the Lido Sandwich station :(. What you will find are unnamed luncheon meats (things like Olive loaf or lousy baloney) and perhaps some cheap luncheon turkey. The only edible stuff we have found at the sandwich station is the chicken salad (quite good) and tuna salad. If you want a decent roast beef or pastrami sandwich you will have to buy it before you board your cruise ship.

Hank

You mis-understood. You WILL NOT find any of those products (Roast Beef, Pastrami, or decent corned beef) at the Lido Sandwich station :(. What you will find are unnamed luncheon meats (things like Olive loaf or lousy baloney) and perhaps some cheap luncheon turkey. The only edible stuff we have found at the sandwich station is the chicken salad (quite good) and tuna salad. If you want a decent roast beef or pastrami sandwich you will have to buy it before you board your cruise ship.

Hank

You mean like these meats in the Oceanview on Equinox last month?

IMG_1835_zpsrluacywk.jpg

Below, that's the corned beef on the far left. Or what they refer to as corned beef. :eek: Then moving right, turkey, ham, mystery & salami.

IMG_1836_zpsy3rg93dq.jpg

A closer look.

IMG_1837_zps8cxbspqp.jpg

The bottom right is the corned beef, then ham on the left. Top left is salami and the crew member didn't know what type of meat the top right was.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I prefer the turkey, ham, or beef at the caving station.

First all the wine by the glass are undrinkable and now the sandwich meats are uneatable?

What is next? Shows that are unwatchable? Music that is unlistenable.

Or perhaps people that are uncruiseable? There will certainly never be a forum that is uncomplainable.

Excuse me I am still working on my first cup of coffee.

I prefer the turkey, ham, or beef at the caving station.

You are correct. Those meats at the carving station were juicy and very good. I never connected them though as for sandwiches.

That's a great idea. Just grab a roll at the sandwich station and use the carving station meat. I'll use that suggestion on my Eclipse cruise later this month. Thankx!

Thanks for the photos Steve. The salami on the left looks like Genoa, & the one on the right looks like cooked salami. As far as taste goes, I wouldn't know, I've never tried on board cold cuts. I will say that no one should expect NY deli cold cuts on a ship,it ain't gonna happen. In general, if it's not Boar's Head, I stay away.

Edited by richsea

You are correct. Those meats at the carving station were juicy and very good. I never connected them though as for sandwiches.

That's a great idea. Just grab a roll at the sandwich station and use the carving station meat. I'll use that suggestion on my Eclipse cruise later this month. Thankx!

That's what I do, Roast beef baguette with some onions (usually some cooked onions on the buffet somewhere), tomatoes and good dollop of Colman's English Mustard - delicious!

Edited by DYKWIA

I will be looking for you.

Don't forget the better choices of breads for toast in the morning as well.

i do agree with Hank that the chicken salad is very good.

Thanks for the photos Steve. The salami on the left looks like Genoa, & the one on the right looks like cooked salami. As far as taste goes, I wouldn't know, I've never tried on board cold cuts. I will say that no one should expect NY deli cold cuts on a ship,it ain't gonna happen. In general, if it's not Boar's Head, I stay away.

Boar's Head.....no. But HAL used to have pretty decent Pastrami, corned beef, roast beef and salami. But they have recently changed over to pre-made sandwiches...which is a real bummer for those of us who cruise that line.

And by the way, as an ex New Yorker we want Katz's pastrami and salami :).

Hank

Boar's Head.....no. But HAL used to have pretty decent Pastrami, corned beef, roast beef and salami. But they have recently changed over to pre-made sandwiches...which is a real bummer for those of us who cruise that line.

And by the way, as an ex New Yorker we want Katz's pastrami and salami :).

Hank

Never had the pleasure of Katz's. BTW, did you hear that the Carnegie Deli closed for good on December 31st?