A couple of Celebrity Rants

Hlitner

"Non hot" food would be cold food, so it sounds like you got what you asked for!

Well first we asked for non-spicy. That didn't work, so we asked for non-hot. That didn't work either. In addition, the food was all cold as though it had been sitting forever on the counter. And there was no language barrier either. I don't think the waiter had actually ever eaten the food he was serving.

Although reading back what I wrote makes it seem as though we asked for cold food :)

You can have some great meals on Celebrity ships, but unfortunately, reports vary from ship to ship, restaurant to restaurant and cruise to cruise. We just got of the equinox and the fish and beef in the MDR were some of the best we've been served...the lobster was moist, the fish not overcooked...the surf and turf (beef wellington and lobster tail) was terrific. But Tuscan couldn't seem to get their act or their food together....service was slow (I'm being kind) and the food was OK, but not worth extra. On other cruises, I've had great meals at Tuscan.

Not sure why the variability....one would think recipes would be written down and not say things like "season to taste" which of course means very different things to chefs of various ethnicities or just experience. I've never been able to figure out why the seasoning is great on one ship and not so great on others.

We've had similar experiences in Aqua...mostly very good food, but occasionally, for whatever reason, they can also turn out some tasteless or overly salty food.

I wouldn't worry too much about reviews here....between celebrity's variability and of course the different expectations and taste buds of passengers, take the reviews as individual reviews.

Aqua is an excellent choice, although the menu seems to never change...but that only matters to someone who cruises often in Aqua....and if it's your first time or second time, why do you care if it changes or not.

I'll add that if you choose to dine in Select dining, you can run into problems getting to the shows....it depends on how busy they are, how quickly they serve, etc. If you really want to see all of the shows, I'd recommend early or late seating where you won't have any scheduling problems.

You can have some great meals on Celebrity ships, but unfortunately, reports vary from ship to ship, restaurant to restaurant and cruise to cruise. We just got of the equinox and the fish and beef in the MDR were some of the best we've been served...the lobster was moist, the fish not overcooked...the surf and turf (beef wellington and lobster tail) was terrific. But Tuscan couldn't seem to get their act or their food together....service was slow (I'm being kind) and the food was OK, but not worth extra. On other cruises, I've had great meals at Tuscan.

Not sure why the variability....one would think recipes would be written down and not say things like "season to taste" which of course means very different things to chefs of various ethnicities or just experience. I've never been able to figure out why the seasoning is great on one ship and not so great on others.

We've had similar experiences in Aqua...mostly very good food, but occasionally, for whatever reason, they can also turn out some tasteless or overly salty food.

I wouldn't worry too much about reviews here....between celebrity's variability and of course the different expectations and taste buds of passengers, take the reviews as individual reviews.

Aqua is an excellent choice, although the menu seems to never change...but that only matters to someone who cruises often in Aqua....and if it's your first time or second time, why do you care if it changes or not.

I'll add that if you choose to dine in Select dining, you can run into problems getting to the shows....it depends on how busy they are, how quickly they serve, etc. If you really want to see all of the shows, I'd recommend early or late seating where you won't have any scheduling problems.

But isn't that the same anywhere? You could have some of your favorite restaurants on land that you think hit it out of the park every time and then you go to Trip Advisor and see a number of negative reviews. Sometimes places have an off night or a staff member is having an off day. Doesn't mean the whole place is a lost cause. I see many complaints here about Tuscan but some of my best meals on Celebrity have been in that restaurant. In fact the only thing better so far that I've encountered has been Luminae, which was amazing night after night on our cruise this past January. And yes, I have eaten in Murano multiple times. It gets raves from most here but I've always found it pretentious with underwhelming food (save for the Chateaubriand which is top notch).

But isn't that the same anywhere? You could have some of your favorite restaurants on land that you think hit it out of the park every time and then you go to Trip Advisor and see a number of negative reviews. Sometimes places have an off night or a staff member is having an off day. Doesn't mean the whole place is a lost cause. I see many complaints here about Tuscan but some of my best meals on Celebrity have been in that restaurant. In fact the only thing better so far that I've encountered has been Luminae, which was amazing night after night on our cruise this past January. And yes, I have eaten in Murano multiple times. It gets raves from most here but I've always found it pretentious with underwhelming food (save for the Chateaubriand which is top notch).

Exactly my point...too many read the reviews here, including mine, and take them as gospel when they are one person's view of one restaurant on one night. I posted that Tuscan was terrible last week but...I might have hit a bad night or my taste likes may be very different than someone elses.

And yes, the Chateaubriand is wonderful (and they will often make an exception and make it for just one)...the only dish I prefer to that is Steak Diane, only available on request with 24 hours notice (not on the menu)...it they'll do it for you.

While we can all discuss/debate the level of quality, there seems to be little disagreement that the overall quality of Celebrity has been somewhat degraded in the past 2-5 years. Our last two cruises in Aqua have convinced us that Blu is no longer worth the extra cost of Aqua. We used to rate Blu as worthy of about $30 per passenger day (and we posted that opinion in years past) but would now rate it is worth less then $20 per passenger day. For us, it now makes more sense to simply book a regular balcony cabin (at a substantial savings over Aqua) and eat more of our meals in alternative restaurants.

But, "Queen" Lisa should be cognizant that the good will and loyalty built up by Celebrity with many customers is very elastic, and at some point many folks will gravitate towards the better product. Our most recent 3 cruises on Princess have exceeded the quality (in cuisine and some other areas) that we now enjoy on X. Ironically, it was about 6 years ago that we stopped cruising on Princess (for about 4 years) because its quality had been terribly degraded. But now, Princess has corrected many of their problems and we would rate them (overall) slightly higher then X.

Somebody posted that Princess buffets are now better then Celebrity...and we can confirm this conclusion. Both lines use a similar open floor concept in their Lidos (on the larger ships) with a similar set-up. But Princess now has a better lunch selection and we never found empty items on our recent Regal Princess...unlike on the Eclipse where multiple items would be empty or missing at lunch. Breakfast buffets are about equal on both lines. And, Celebrity still has the far better alternative restaurants....especially if one excludes the Tuscan.

Hank

Staff cutbacks are evident in all departments of Celebrity, and Royal as well come to that.

The increased levels of Select/Mytime dining also has an effect on the staff in that section of the MDR as many tables especially 2 tops can be used for 3 sittings (occasionally 4) a night as opposed to the 2 sittings in traditional dining, thus the staff work harder in Select/Mytime.

Upstairs in the buffet whereas each food station used to be manned throughout that service, that is no longer the case, hence empty dishes and waits for refills whilst the roving staff try to keep up.

As to food quality and preparation, some of that depends on Miami ordering, some on the Executive Chef on that ship, but a lot on the lower ranks of chefs who change regularly as contracts start and finish - put all this together and you have the variable standards we all experience across the fleets.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Asking if there are any discounts is hardly "negotiating". That's all I have ever done and been offered very favorable discounts. Nobody has suggested anything more and complaining about negotiating is giving an incorrect impression.

This may vary from sailing to sailing. In this thread someone remarked that they asked about discounts and were told $30 and then they offered $25 and it was accepted... that is haggling. Have seen other reports of people asking for a discount and being told no and going back every day asking if it was available yet until they got a yes. There's are the practices I'm referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For those so reticent about what they call "negotiation" (which might take a whopping 30 seconds out of your day), do you pay full price for your cars? Accept the trade-in value blindly? Pay full price for your houses? If so, the money you are not saving on specialty restaurants rather pales in comparison.

Not sure where the "negotiation is not part of the American culture' mindset comes from. It sure is part of mine (if needed).

Houses and cars are unique circumstances and huge purchases. I've never gone into a restaurant and saw a steak for $50 and offered them $30 for it. I've never gone into a Target and seen a product marked at a certain price and said, well if I buy 2 can I get 10% off.

Do whatever you like, including paying full price.

By idiot level I mean anyone can do it. Don't have to train or practice. Just smile, be polite and ask a simple question.

And no, it has nothing to do with being "culturally insensitive" :D It has to do with common sense. They have seats to fill. If they cannot fill them at full price, they will lower the price. If they don't lower the price, we pass.

BTW, when the specialties were at reasonable price ($25) we never asked or needed a discount. The prices now are unreasonable and the highest in the industry.

Of course the restaurants are overpriced. My response isn't that I pay full price. It's that I keep my $25-$30 and enjoy the MDR dinner I already paid for. Was pointing out that I feel very weird about walking up to a person an item at a marked price and asking for a discount, so since celebrity doesn't advertise the discounts they lose the sale from me. I also think beer in the sports stadiums are crazy overpriced. I just don't but then, Never tried offering $5 for a $9 beer.

Edited by sanger727

There are, in fact, many car dealers who now deal in "no haggle" pricing exactly because many find the practice distasteful. It still requires that you do research to figure out the price you're willing to pay, but it is no longer true that you now always have to negotiate to get a good deal. The last car I bought had a firm price and they wouldn't entertain any exceptions.

I'll admit that I did pay full price at a specialty restaurant on my first Celebrity cruise because I would have never even thought to ask if the price was negotiable (did not come to Cruise Critic to research because it was a last-minute cruise). I think Celebrity banks on that revenue from first-timers or people who have lots of OBC and don't mind paying full price because of it. Unfortunately, it means they have to place pricing games to get repeat customers through the doors in a volume large enough to make money.

I'll admit that I did pay full price at a specialty restaurant on my first Celebrity cruise because I would have never even thought to ask if the price was negotiable (did not come to Cruise Critic to research because it was a last-minute cruise). I think Celebrity banks on that revenue from first-timers or people who have lots of OBC and don't mind paying full price because of it. Unfortunately, it means they have to place pricing games to get repeat customers through the doors in a volume large enough to make money.

Exactly, it's just odd to me. Generally in the US a marked price in a store/restaurant/service is the price. So how is anyone supposed to know that you pay the price listed (including the normal specials) for spa treatments/passes, and drinks, and in the stores, and for photos, and for shore excursions... but should only pay $25-$30 for the $45-$50 specialty dining. I do like the new dining packages because they are simple and upfront.

Edited by sanger727

Sanger, not sure why you keep defending your actions...which are quite fine. As we said in an earlier post, if folks want to pay full price then that is entirely fine. No need to defend yourself and the cruise line is happy to accept the money. And we thank you for helping boost the bottom line. But for those of us willing to ask, "can we get a discount" there is often a path to getting a discount. Seems to me that this policy makes everyone happy. You are happy to pay full price, and we are happy to get a discount. What could be better?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Is there any first hand experience?

In NYC where I dwell, a steakhouse meal is always around $150 per person. Steaks from $52 to $125 depending on ageing and if Waygu or from the midwest cornfed etc.....Not to mention $15 sides and $20+ appetizers. IF the upcharge steak is THAT GOOD.....and we get 40-50% off the cover charge, it could be a win win for us!

Will check it out on our next cruise and report back.

Safe sails all!

Is there any first hand experience?

In NYC where I dwell, a steakhouse meal is always around $150 per person. Steaks from $52 to $125 depending on ageing and if Waygu or from the midwest cornfed etc.....Not to mention $15 sides and $20+ appetizers. IF the upcharge steak is THAT GOOD.....and we get 40-50% off the cover charge, it could be a win win for us!

Will check it out on our next cruise and report back.

Safe sails all!

The issue I think with these upcharges is that one pays for ones evening meal or otherwise as part of the base cruise fare. One is then asked to pay a premium to dine in Tuscan for example which is touted as the Italian steak restaurant and then is again asked for a further upcharge for a steak. One has to wonder when will it end.

Sanger, not sure why you keep defending your actions...which are quite fine. As we said in an earlier post, if folks want to pay full price then that is entirely fine. No need to defend yourself and the cruise line is happy to accept the money. And we thank you for helping boost the bottom line. But for those of us willing to ask, "can we get a discount" there is often a path to getting a discount. Seems to me that this policy makes everyone happy. You are happy to pay full price, and we are happy to get a discount. What could be better?

Hank

I'm not defending anything. Pointing out the silliness of the whole thing. And what I already pointed out is I don't pay full price, I simply don't pay at all, and clearly I'm not the only one that feels this way. So this crazy system is most likely causing them to loose more sales than they gain.

On my last celebrity cruise we spent $5 pp on specialty dining (lunch at the one with paninis) because we weren't going to pay $45-$50 pp for dinner)

On my last NCL cruise we spent $45 pp on specialty dining because their charges were reasonable.

Edited by sanger727

On my last sailing, late seating, traditional dining began at 8:30, too late to attend the late show, which was scheduled for 9:00. (Is late seating for traditional dining typically 8:00?)

Late seating is timed to be after the early show which is usually around 7 PM.

I'm not defending anything. Pointing out the silliness of the whole thing. And what I already pointed out is I don't pay full price, I simply don't pay at all, and clearly I'm not the only one that feels this way. So this crazy system is most likely causing them to loose more sales than they gain.

On my last celebrity cruise we spent $5 pp on specialty dining (lunch at the one with paninis) because we weren't going to pay $45-$50 pp for dinner)

On my last NCL cruise we spent $45 pp on specialty dining because their charges were reasonable.

I used to do the $5 pannini lunch at the Porch, on Reflection in October I found that place is now a normal speciality with a high cover charge and consequently nobody whatsoever in for lunch embarkation day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Try the solarium lunch buffet. ( forget what it's called)

It is called the Spa Cafe. Plenty of salads there!

Whoever posted that there is no lettuce at the Oceanview buffet is just trying to cause trouble. There is plenty of lettuce, 2 or 3 different types, and all the fixings to go with them at the buffet.

Edited by El Crucero

Unless you have many more cruises than are listed on your profile, your cruising experience is very thin.

Thanks, but I will take Hank's advice (who may cruise more in one year than you have in your cruising life) since he as always been more than forthcoming in his analysis--good and bad--of hundreds of topics. He graciously posts much information on ports, ships, different lines, and more.

I am confident that he really is in no need of crying for attention from you or anyone else.

Seriously? You are complaining about the amount of cruises listed in a person's signature, but praise the advice from someone who doesn't have even one listed?

In my opinion......NO ONE should go on the advice of what the food is like from any one person. Everyone's tastes are different.

Also should have mentioned the Sushi on 5. We were two of rare fans of the Cafe on 5 and were not particularly happy when they changed to the new Sushi menu. After looking at the menu we decided to skip the venue and noticed that nearly everyone else also skipped Sushi on 5. The place was pretty empty whenever we looked during lunch or dinner. We suspect the a la carte pricing is a turn-off to many cruisers.

Hank

We were also B on 5 fans...we skipped sushi a la carte as did many on our cruise as well...( not much for a non sushi lover with allergies to orher fish as well. ) We tried the buffet, MDR, found AQ spa cafe too crowded...sure wish B on 5 would return!

I suspect Sushi on 5 will last 2-3 years tops. From all accounts I have read it is mostly staff that use the venue as very few passengers seem interested in it. Bistro on 5 had some great options when first introduced, but constant cutbacks in menu variety and increases in pricing sealed it's fate. Celebrity has never quite gotten that particular venue to work as a whole and not sure what the solution to it really is.

Hlitner, I don't eat meat so can't comment on that. My hubby and I are pescatarians (like vegetarians, but we eat fish). Over a few days, I had become very disapointed in the limited and repetitive fish dishes in the buffet restaurant. I spoke to the manager on duty who became very animated in seeking to ensure that we found something hubby and I would enjoy. He clarified that there was another fish that I had missed. Fish was located in different locations. He was ringing the chef whilst looking, asking what choices fish he could cook for us there and then. That has to be indisputably excellent service. Perhaps if you had asked, lettice would have been brought to you and they may have even offered other cold meat.

We also don't like the loud carry on around the pool, or what was a quiet bar being taken over by bingo with a manic cheerful guy on the mic (our experience on a recent cruise). However, many others do like noisy goings on and there are many quiet places on a ship. Live and let live we say. Best not to stress or rant, but just to do your own thing, let others theirs, and if you want something, ask.

Happy cruising 🙂

Seriously? You are complaining about the amount of cruises listed in a person's signature, but praise the advice from someone who doesn't have even one listed?

In my opinion......NO ONE should go on the advice of what the food is like from any one person. Everyone's tastes are different.

I don't need to look at Hank's cruise history since it is way too extensive to list on a silly CC profile. We don't have any of our 65+/800 days listed either. So yes, I will praise the advice of someone who knows of what he speaks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I don't need to look at Hank's cruise history since it is way too extensive to list on a silly CC profile. We don't have any of our 65+/800 days listed either. So yes, I will praise the advice of someone who knows of what he speaks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

ROFL! We do not even know our own cruise history other then we have way over 100 cruises which total far more then 3 years on ships. Once we started to do long cruises (several over 60 days in length) we lost track of total days. We have started to realize that those that post their cruises in signatures really do not have that much experience....or they would not even be able to remember their cruises :). One factor that makes us different from many posters is that we have managed to cruise on 14 different lines plus 2 River boat lines and a small yacht cruise company. These days we still manage to cruise 70-100 days every year...which pales in comparison to some we have met who cruise over 250 days a year. As to Celebrity we only have about 960 points...and honestly have no clue as to how they even come up with the points. Doubt if we shall live to get to Zenith....since we still prefer to mix it up and travel on different lines.

So do we know about what we speak? Probably not....but its sure fun thinking we have learned something over the years.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner