Question: 22 and 19 year old in own cabin

katmike

I need clarification on Carnivals age guidelines.

My son (22) and fiancée (19) would prefer their own cabin and accompany my wife and I on a cruise. I realize I could book the cruise with my son with me in one cabin and my wife with his fiancée in another cabin and switch once on board, but...

Son is VERY independent and would probably not even consider booking this way. I am the one that's trying to organize this cruise anyway.

As long as someone over 25 is in the "group" would Carnival allow them in a separate cabin ANYWHERE on the ship or would they have to be "nearby"? If so, I assume this couldn't be booked online, correct?

My son (22) and fiancée (19) would prefer their own cabin and accompany my wife and I on a cruise. I realize I could book the cruise with my son with me in one cabin and my wife with his fiancée in another cabin and switch once on board, but...

Son is VERY independent and would probably not even consider booking this way. I am the one that's trying to organize this cruise anyway.

As long as someone over 25 is in the "group" would Carnival allow them in a separate cabin ANYWHERE on the ship or would they have to be "nearby"? If so, I assume this couldn't be booked online, correct?

I believe it is within 5 cabins either way, or across the hall. We always book our twins in a separate cabin.

They can be booked in their own cabin as long as the booking is cross referenced to yours. And the cabin can be where ever they want it to be. Here is the policy from Carnivals FAQ.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

Minors Traveling Together: The policy is slightly different because of stricter*guidelines as follows:

Must have 1 chaperone for every 8 minors

Prepaid gratuities per minor are due at final payment

8 or more staterooms must be booked through the Group Department and a $100 damage deposit per minor will be charged.**

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a*relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.*

If your son is very independent then he should know that's sometimes you need to play the game. If you have to book the way you described, it has nothing to do with his independence.

It is playing the system( game).

But it's a moot point since we can put him in the cabin he wants AT BOOKING, correct?:confused:

That's correct. Any cabin, anywhere on the ship. Just cross referenced to your booking.

I would probably put them on the same booking just reserve 2 cabins.

Please forgive me if I inadvertently cause offence... is this a US thing or a Carnival thing... I am completely confused as to why a 19 and 21 yo are not considered adults on an international cruise..

As an Australian (where the last age of legality for anything is 18) it seems very strange that two legal adults would have restrictions placed on them... after all, what if they were travelling on their own? It is my (possibly incorrect) understanding that most countries outside the US also consider 18 to be adult.

Respectfully, can anyone help me understand why would treat a 19 and 21 yo as minors?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I could be wrong but I believe carnival has had some issues with people over the legal age to drink but not 25. Spring break folks come to mind. If too many people over 21 and under 25 are together there have been some challenges with over consuming alcohol and misbehaving. I realize that this happens with people over 25 as well but I think carnival sees an uptick in bad behavior when groups of under 25 year olds are together

I could be wrong but I believe carnival has had some issues with people over the legal age to drink but not 25. Spring break folks come to mind. If too many people over 21 and under 25 are together there have been some challenges with over consuming alcohol and misbehaving. I realize that this happens with people over 25 as well but I think carnival sees an uptick in bad behavior when groups of under 25 year olds are together

I have heard vaguely of "spring break" but wondered if it was just a movie thing...like the movie "The Hangover" is exaggerated. It's not a "thing" in Australia... usually we just sort this kind of thing out by pricing things out of the uni student market..... I guess that's not so easy in the US

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by KristyEllen

My son (22) and fiancée (19) would prefer their own cabin............

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.*

Since they're both over 18, they can have a cabin on anywhere on the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by SadieN

Please forgive me if I inadvertently cause offence... is this a US thing or a Carnival thing... I am completely confused as to why a 19 and 21 yo are not considered adults on an international cruise..

As an Australian (where the last age of legality for anything is 18) it seems very strange that two legal adults would have restrictions placed on them... after all, what if they were travelling on their own? It is my (possibly incorrect) understanding that most countries outside the US also consider 18 to be adult.

Respectfully, can anyone help me understand why would treat a 19 and 21 yo as minors?

I don't really get it either. I don't think you can rent a car or book a hotel in the US unless you are 25.

I don't really get it either. I don't think you can rent a car or book a hotel in the US unless you are 25.

I completely understand why there are age restrictions. The general rule is that we are victims of those that preceded us. Historically this age group can act like 'idiots'.

Some rental car companies will add a fee for under 25.

Last year our 22yo DD was able to stay by herself in a JFK airport hotel with no problem.

Edited by SadieN

I have heard vaguely of "spring break" but wondered if it was just a movie thing...like the movie "The Hangover" is exaggerated. It's not a "thing" in Australia... usually we just sort this kind of thing out by pricing things out of the uni student market..... I guess that's not so easy in the US

Right, but carnival prices and advertises to that market. 21 is the legal age to drink in the US and the college crowd tends to be 18-21, so the 21 year olds generally buy provide alcohol to the under 21s. People who are finally able to drink + people who are sneaking drinks = irresponsible behavior. Think they are trying to discourage this by wanting someone older who is more responsible associated with the booking.

And yes, spring break is a real thing and full of heavily drinking young adults making fools of themselves.

Edited by sanger727

Car rentals true, but I've never booked or checked in to a hotel and had to provide a DOB. You book 1 adult in to a room (and that's usually 18 or older as defined by them) and that's that.

We booked using a big box travel agency. We were told that the 22 and 19 year olds could not share a cabin, so we split them up with one of them in a cabin with one of us.

My concern with switching cabins is that we will also have to switch key cards, which makes it harder to get on and off of the ship if we are not all together.

If I call Carnival to see about shifting people around, seeing that 18-20 year olds can book anywhere they like, will they try to hit me with name change fees?

Not too easy to price out that segment - for a few reasons. Notably, in the last decade or so, the university has become more of a privilege. Even in public universities, students are highly subsidized either privately (e.g., parents) or publicly (through student loans and such). That privileged and financially subsidized sector contributes to the "spring break" phenomena.

Another large segment of people in the same age group may not attend university right away, and become part of the working (or military) class.

Although neither are minors, there are certainly social and economic differences between these groups. The privileged set would be more likely to be on a cruise. In my view, unfortunately, this segment contributes to the impression that these "young adults" are more properly treated as minors.