Logistic Questions for first timers

FirstRodeo

Hi guys and gals. I surprised my mom with a 3-day Bahamas cruise (this upcoming January!) for her birthday. Neither of us have been before - on a cruise, to the Bahamas, or to Florida. I have a few first timer questions regarding logistics and what not... Thank you all in advance for being of help to us. :)

We are flying in to Fort Lauderdale, FL because it was much cheaper. Our cruise leaves from the port in Miami. We are hoping to get a hotel the night before to avoid any stress or rushing. Have any of you guys done this before? What is your suggested means of transportation to get from Ft. Laud airport to Miami?

Any recommendations of hotels to stay in Miami that are close/in downtown that allow you to walk around and explore?

It seems that a lot of the hotels may offer a free shuttle to the port in Miami? Not sure if this is true!

Thanks again guys. We are so excited to spend this time together!

Hi guys and gals. I surprised my mom with a 3-day Bahamas cruise (this upcoming January!) for her birthday. Neither of us have been before - on a cruise, to the Bahamas, or to Florida. I have a few first timer questions regarding logistics and what not... Thank you all in advance for being of help to us. :)

We are flying in to Fort Lauderdale, FL because it was much cheaper. Our cruise leaves from the port in Miami. We are hoping to get a hotel the night before to avoid any stress or rushing. Have any of you guys done this before? What is your suggested means of transportation to get from Ft. Laud airport to Miami?

Any recommendations of hotels to stay in Miami that are close/in downtown that allow you to walk around and explore?

It seems that a lot of the hotels may offer a free shuttle to the port in Miami? Not sure if this is true!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Another good source for your questions can found under "North American Homeports". Here is the Fort Lauderdale link. You will find Miami info there also. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=672

Edited by davekathy

stay in FLL then get a shuttle service like QLS or SAS to the port of Miami in the morning

There are not many hotels in Miami that offer a shuttle service to the port unless it is out by the airport

A taxi is cheaper anyway from hotels neat POM

check the Florida forum lots of info there