Snorkeling In Bonaire

trev71

Going to Bonaire here on my next cruise and I would look to book a Snorkeling trip here soon since I always wanted to snorkel in Bonaire.

Any suggestions for companies or are they all pretty much the same. I've never had a problem booking with Royal excursions before. I did see on my roll call people talked about Woodwind, but looks like they are all booked up for the mornings. I've snorkeled many times at all ports of calls i've been too so just wondering

Thanks

The Woodwind's schedule for cruise passengers can be found on its website: https://www.woodwindbonaire.com

The Sea Cow (http://www.seacow-bonaire.com/index.htm) also provides excellent trips to Klein Bonaire. Unfortunately, it provides exclusive service to some cruise lines and can only be booked as a ship's shore excursion at an inflated price. Still, a very good option if you can't get on the Woodwind, and I don't know what arrangement, if any, they might have with RCI, so you might be able to make a direct booking.

Another alternative is to take the ferry out to Klein Bonaire. You can make arrangements with the skipper to pick you up further down the island after you enjoy a leisurely drift snorkel.

If you go it alone, take a piece of bread in a zipped baggie to improve your selection of fish.

No bashing about taking food off the ship please. All you need is a small amount. :)

NO! NO! NO!

Other than the fact that feeding marine life anywhere within Bonaire's National Marine Park is prohibited, the marine life is so plentiful that chumming is totally unnecessary. As someone who has scuba dived and snorkeled Bonaire's waters for many years, I have a great appreciation for the work put into maintaining the Marine Park and the rules that have been implemented to make Bonaire a premiere destination.

The prohibition is based on two primary concerns:

1) feeding fish foods that aren't part of their natural diets and

2) altering fish behaviour in how they interact with humans.

If you disagree, feel free to take it up with the Bonaire National Marine Park. :)

Edited by Fouremco

NO! NO! NO!

Other than the fact that feeding marine life anywhere within Bonaire's National Marine Park is prohibited, the marine life is so plentiful that chumming is totally unnecessary. As someone who has scuba dived and snorkeled Bonaire's waters for many years, I have a great appreciation for the work put into maintaining the Marine Park and the rules that have been implemented to make Bonaire a premiere destination.

The prohibition is based on two primary concerns:

1) feeding fish foods that aren't part of their natural diets and

2) altering fish behaviour in how they interact with humans.

If you disagree, feel free to take it up with the Bonaire National Marine Park. :)

Please don't bash me, you are correct. We took a ships tour, the Samori Sail and were told the spew about feeding the fish etc. and what do they do? Feed the fish bread!!

Actually saw nothing until they started feeding them..then the fish that showed up were amazing!! :)

Please don't bash me, you are correct. We took a ships tour, the Samori Sail and were told the spew about feeding the fish etc. and what do they do? Feed the fish bread!!

Actually saw nothing until they started feeding them..then the fish that showed up were amazing!! :)

No bashing intended. :o

Edited by Fouremco

Then the guide catches a fish and pretends to eat it so "Thong Girl" can take a picture!!

Others with underwater cameras were taking pix of "Thong Girl" :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. Just a little ancy on doing an Afternoon tour it says 1-4pm and the ship leaves at 5. Ive never cut it that close before espically on a non royal excursion.

What is up with the "Thong girl" comments what am I missing out on

We were on Jewel last month and took a tour with Woodwind and it was the most flabbergastingly wonderful snorkeling expedition ever! As others have noted, they do run morning and afternoon outings so maybe you can take advantage.

We were on the morning snorkeling but I wasn't done for the day. There's nice opportunity by the ship. When you exit the ship, turn to the left towards the direction of the craft markets. There are some bars and restaurants there and you can easily swim and snorkel and it's like being in an aquarium. My husband had a cheap beer at one of the bars while I swam and it was a great afternoon for both of us. We love Bonaire!

Last question I got an email from (Woodwind) and they said they only have afternoon room left. my only concern is the tour says it is from 1-4pm and the ship leaves at 5pm. am I able to make it back to the ship in time ?

its only one hour and I never pushed my luck this far before

Edited by trev71

We were on Jewel last month and took a tour with Woodwind and it was the most flabbergastingly wonderful snorkeling expedition ever! As others have noted, they do run morning and afternoon outings so maybe you can take advantage.

We were on the morning snorkeling but I wasn't done for the day. There's nice opportunity by the ship. When you exit the ship, turn to the left towards the direction of the craft markets. There are some bars and restaurants there and you can easily swim and snorkel and it's like being in an aquarium. My husband had a cheap beer at one of the bars while I swam and it was a great afternoon for both of us. We love Bonaire!

What she said...just got home yesterday Sunday.....and it was the most amazing trip...drinks on the way out...food and drinks on the way back..an hour in the water....live coral and so many fish I couldn't decide where to look...If you can't get on The Woodwind...get on something and enjoy...crew on the Woodwind....the best ever

Last question I got an email from (Woodwind) and they said they only have afternoon room left. my only concern is the tour says it is from 1-4pm and the ship leaves at 5pm. am I able to make it back to the ship in time ?

We are doing the afternoon tour on our Feb navigator cruise.

Nervous as well for timing but they are very sure it won't be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This just happened to us..we were on the morning sail but the other ship got in Late....this had us leave and hour late but we were still back before one...just make sure they know when you must be back and what happens if it is late...just got home yesterday....

Like so many tour providers, they know the time limitations and work to them day in and day out. You don't get to be #1 by not meeting your passengers' needs, including getting back on time. Don't worry, you'll be fine. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. Just a little ancy on doing an Afternoon tour it says 1-4pm and the ship leaves at 5. Ive never cut it that close before espically on a non royal excursion.

What is up with the "Thong girl" comments what am I missing out on

Our underwater tour guide seemed attracted to a young lady in one of the skimpiest of bikinis who we nicknamed Thong Girl.

If you are leaving at 5, all aboard will be at 4:30. You should be fine. Have a great cruise!!:)

You should have no problem.

I also agree about woodwind. Have used them twice.. Very professional and caring

Here's another vote for Woodwind. It's the only snorkeling tour I've been on where masks with corrective lens were offered for those of us that can use a little help enjoying the beautiful sights below the surface.