Australia questions

The International drivers permit is needed as it is a translation for those countries where the language is different to the one the licence is in (which is also required).

As a United Nations sanctioned document, an IDP provides identification details in 9 different languages, is a useful form of photo identification and allows you to drive internationally without any further tests or applications.

Sun 4-ever who mentioned the International Licence is from USA so I assumed they would have American driver's licences (in English). Even when we have hired vehicles in countries other than English-speaking ones, they have never been interested in the International Licence, only our Australian one.

I just mentioned this because getting the International Licence is more bother and an extra cost. :) They might still want to get them. :)

I just read all your responses to my husband and we have a few more question now.

Once we get off the ship how far is it to the train that would take us to katoomba? Also does this train have a ramp to wheel luggage on or would we have to climb stairs carrying out luggage? Once the train gets to katoomba how far to the nearest car rental it are they right there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just read all your responses to my husband and we have a few more question now.

Once we get off the ship how far is it to the train that would take us to katoomba? Also does this train have a ramp to wheel luggage on or would we have to climb stairs carrying out luggage? Once the train gets to katoomba how far to the nearest car rental it are they right there?

Only a few hundred yards to Circular Quay Station, you may need to change trains at Central.

There are lifts, you may need to go up or down a few steps once on the train, there are limited seats at the entry level if they are using double decker trains.

Once we get off the ship how far is it to the train that would take us to katoomba? It is around 250 metres from the Overseas passenger terminal to Circular Quay railway station Also does this train have a ramp to wheel luggage on or would we have to climb stairs carrying out luggage? There are elevators to take you to the platforms and the train doors open up at the level of the platform. Once the train gets to katoomba how far to the nearest car rental it are they right there?

See answers above.

My husband likes to drive and has no problem with traffic and he seems to think driving on the opposite side of the road won't be an issue for him. I sure hope he is right.

NO NO we drive on the left ;)

As per above, but you definitely have to change trains at Central. Lifts at both Circular quay and Central (which is the main interchange station), and you'll see many passengers getting around easily with trolleys or luggage. Very common here.

As per above, but you definitely have to change trains at Central. Lifts at both Circular quay and Central (which is the main interchange station), and you'll see many passengers getting around easily with trolleys or luggage. Very common here.

I thought some City Circle trains went on to the Blue Mts, just recalling a lecturer I had years ago who would get on at St James and I thought she stayed on the same train.

I thought some City Circle trains went on to the Blue Mts, just recalling a lecturer I had years ago who would get on at St James and I thought she stayed on the same train.

The train I normally catch from CQ is going to Cambelltown (via St James) and heads out on the East hill line and picks up the airport stations, it leaves every 15 mins.

There may well be a train heading the other direction that goes to the mountains (via Wynyard).

Unlikely now. Blue Mtns are all interurban, which leave from Central.

They 'simplified' the network some years ago where trains that used to go cross-sectors were removed.

Edited by The_Big_M

More the need to change trains, which can sometimes be a hassle. I've been through some interchanges overseas where there are long walks, stairs or worse. Shanghai was one of the worst - you actually had to leave the barriers to change, then go for a massive walk through an arcade! Plus stairs..

Fortunately, changing at Central is easy with a fairly short walk, and escalators and elevators available everywhere. No need to climb stairs.