First PH on Riveria

cruisun

Are there special perks we should look for? What do people generally ask of the butler? We know about ordering from specialties but most likely will not take advantage of a full meal as we like to eat outside the cabin other than breakfast on the balcony. Can we order just a dessert or an appetizer from a specialty even when dining elsewhere?

What are your favorite perks?

My best advice would be to speak to the Butler in open ended sentences.

Ask questions such as "What is wonderful for dessert tonight?", rather than ordering something from the menu.

If permitted, the Butler guide you down the best path.

On that same principle, avoid the urge to micromanage. The Butler has experience on the ship and knows how things work. State what you want to accomplish and allow the Butler to head scratch the details.

Thirdly, don't be timid. The Butlers are there to improve your cruise experience, and it is amazing what all that they can do....and will do.

Ask pleasantly, and make it clear that you are open to alternative suggestions....the Butler system may just rock your World. ;)

f9192b3a5756218410e69341d2608b4d.jpgOur favorite perk is Room Service Breakfast on the morning of disembarcation

210845.jpg

Edited by JimandStan

I've only taken two Oceania cruises, both times in PH, and I'm still a bit baffled by the butler.

I've read the posts here on various threads, but I generally am perfectly happy using my pre-booked specialty restaurants and eating otherwise in the GDR and the Terrace.

I don't want my bags packed or unpacked.

I do order room service breakfast almost every morning and will occasionally have a sandwich sent to my room (neither of which requires a butler).

I'd be perfectly happy without one, but I like the space in the PH.

f9192b3a5756218410e69341d2608b4d.jpgOur favorite perk is Room Service Breakfast on the morning of disembarcation

210845.jpg

Is that the amazing Xavier in the top photo (right)?

We miss him.

He's the best!

One other thing the Butler can help with is if there aren't extra evenings available in any (or all!) of the Specialties, then just have the meal of choice served en suite.

Yum.

(That can be more of a problem on crowded holiday sailings.)

What can a Butler do for you?

He can contact other locations on the ship that you can't.

We had the usual reservations at the specialty restaurants. Toward the end of the recent Atlantic crossing on the Riviera, just before a scheduled dinner, one of us wasn't feeling very well due to a sinus headache. We decided we needed to make other plans and at 6 PM tried to call the restaurant to let them know. We couldn't get through (got a recorded message) because they had blocked the phone just before the dinner rush.

Later we mentioned it to our Butler, Titus, and he suggested the next time, we could contact him, and he could contact the restaurant for us.

*Oceania Riviera, Nov-Dec 2016; transAtlantic, Barcelona to Miami

Edited by Shining Clem

Better question would be: what can the butler not do?!? We are very low maintenance folks. We rarely order room service or look for extra dinners in the speciality restaurants. In our experience, the butler excels in getting "things" done without the appearance of any effort. Examples:

1. After a shore excursion to Petra, our hiking boots were so filthy, we just left them outside the door. Our wonderful butler managed to get them to look almost new again.

2. In a crunch, our butler arranged for us to get on an early tender, even though we did not have a ship excursion booked. This was a very exceptional situation.

3. We do not drink soda pop, except for club soda. Our preferred drink in the afternoon is juice with club soda and ice. The butler made sure that our frig always contained a glass of each of orange juice and cranberry juice.

4. Once, we had problems with our toilet and had trouble getting maintenance on the phone. One call to our butler and the plumber showed up in five minutes. Ditto for an air conditioning issue.

5. When we met new friends on the ship (don't we all), the butler managed to coordinate a couple of dinners in speciality restaurants so we could eat together.

At times, the butler can be a little over attentive. However, although we did not NEED a butler, it sure was nice to have one!

Our wonderful Butler Churchill organised a delicious Indian meal in the suite for us one evening.

Great Butler Sandeep set up a cocktail party (he bartended!) and a dinner party - we and our friends had a lovely evening.

Best though I think is the course by course dining in the suite with courses from a couple of different restaurants...