Dining Package and kids

SSMcruises

I am looking at possibly buying a dining package for the 4 adults - what happens with the kids when we dine? Our friends kids are 9 and 12, and will be reluctant to join in activities etc, so that means they will be dining with us.

My understanding is that if they order off the kids menu it is included? If they order off the regular menu it is a la carte? Is that correct? Or do they need this own dining package?

THanks

SSM

You have it correct. The standard Kids Menu is available at all restaurants for no charge.

If they don't order off the Kids menu, they can order off the adult menu at a la carte prices, or at fixed price restaurants (Teppanyaki, Moderno, etc.) they can pay the cover charge.

I would encourage them to try Splash Academy and you can dine on your own (at least once!). My kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Splash Academy (11, 9, 7). We did specialty dining on our last cruise - 4 night package - and they joined us for Teppenyaki. They were given the edamame, soup and salad for free and then they had cheeseburgers etc. for their main and they got to order green tea ice cream (or whatever is on the kids menu) for dessert. I don't mean to be pushy - but you might find they like the kids club.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One thing to note, the kids menu is pretty boring and repetitive. It's standard kids fare - pizza, cheeseburgers, nuggets, PB&J, chicken noodle soup.maybe mac and cheese? There is no fruit, no veggies, no salad, etc. My 8 year old started refusing it last summer (unless he wanted pizza). He would eat the specialty food instead.

So... if the kids will get tired of crap food, it may be prudent to buy them a dining plan.

Many of the menus are available online. Depends on what specialties you are considering. Try cruisewithgambee.com or just google search for whichever restaurants you are looking at.

Entrees seem to generally range from $15-$25... but apps are much less, could do kids meal plus an app for them to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

Hi,

Have cruised several times with our son and grand children who are now 10 and 8.

For two years they have purchased a dining package for the eldest. She loves seafood and trying different food. She would be upset if she had to pick from the children's menu. The little guy just loved French fries so no dining package for him. It was the kids menu and he was happy. We are cruising again in February and he now likes to eat so ....

Point being if the children enjoy trying foods the dining package may be cheaper.

While adult dining time is nice but showing the kids the art of fine dining may be fun.

Our son (aged 11) can be a bit fussy, and we haven't taken him to Cagneys or Le Bistro, but he loves Moderno and Teppenyaki, and has also enjoyed La Cucina.

Whilst he gets a bit fazed by a big piece of steak, the smaller cuts you get in Moderno or the chicken or steak pre cut in Teppenyaki seem to really appeal to him.

He's started to get used to using chopsticks as well now, which he enjoys.

I'd certainly agree with trying to encourage them to try the kids club, but perhaps mix it up with a couple of meals in the speciality restaurants which most appeal to them.