How strict do they check the boarding rooms for adults?

googlaoo

hi all,

i'm a minor, and my family (mom, dad, younger sister & i) were going to the Carnival Victory cruise to the Bahamas on the 26th to the 1st. however, my mother last minute figured out she can't go.

now we have one room for my dad, and one room for my sister and i. we can't have that room unless we have someone over 21 in that room according to policy! it costs a lot of money to switch people into rooms and stuff like that.

i'm trying to think of ways around this...they don't check rooms at night or anything right? is it possible that my mom check into the cruise with us and then leave (will they get suspicious)? how does the boarding process work? can you think of any way around this!

hi all,

i'm a minor, and my family (mom, dad, younger sister & i) were going to the Carnival Victory cruise to the Bahamas on the 26th to the 1st. however, my mother last minute figured out she can't go.

now we have one room for my dad, and one room for my sister and i. we can't have that room unless we have someone over 21 in that room according to policy! it costs a lot of money to switch people into rooms and stuff like that.

i'm trying to think of ways around this...they don't check rooms at night or anything right? is it possible that my mom check into the cruise with us and then leave (will they get suspicious)? how does the boarding process work? can you think of any way around this!

I think you need to talk with your Mom and Dad and see what they have figured out. :)

You do not necessarily have to have an adult actually in the room with you as long as your parents are next to you and responsible for you.

I am sure your parents are sorting this out.

Have you asked them what the plans are?

But no, they do not do a bed check at night. ;)

I think you need to talk with your Mom and Dad and see what they have figured out. :)

You do not necessarily have to have an adult actually in the room with you as long as your parents are next to you and responsible for you.

I am sure your parents are sorting this out.

Have you asked them what the plans are?

But no, they do not do a bed check at night. ;)

haha yeah! though, my parents actually have no idea what to do; they're asking me to ask around! do you board by room?

Why not how Carnival and ask them what you should do? Several cruises ago we did have four people check in and one did not board because he had to go to work at the last minute and they would not let him be off. So the only option Was to check in and then be a no-show. There wasn't any problem.

Edited by nol4am

Why not how Carnival and ask them what you should do? Several cruises ago we did have four people check in and one did not board because he had to go to work at the last minute and they would not let him be off. So the only option Was to check in and then be a no-show. There wasn't any problem.

We called them and they said we could switch my sister and I to my dad's room which would mean we would basically give up the second room--but they said this would cost $800 (700 something), which we'd really like to avoid

haha yeah! though, my parents actually have no idea what to do; they're asking me to ask around! do you board by room?

:eek: Then basically do your online check in and have Mom be a no-show. Easiest way around. Play dumb. "She's coming later. Running late" Whatever.

Do not have Mom show up and check in and then try to sneak out. Too many issues and questions. It might delay boarding, sailing, who knows what!

No. You do not board by room.

You will be given a boarding zone number and board with everyone else that has the same number.

Please let us know how this all plays out.

We want to know. :p

Check in is similar to hotel check in. The only limitation would be if Staggered Check In is being done at your embarkation port.

As stated above it's easiest to have Mom no show.

How old are you and your sister? It makes a difference. Only need to travel with, not necessarily occupy the same cabin with someone over 21. If your sister is too young, they should be able to switch sister to your dad's cabin and put Mom in yours before the cruise.

Here is the policy from Carnivals FAQ.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

Minors Traveling Together: The policy is slightly different because of stricter*guidelines as follows:

Must have 1 chaperone for every 8 minors

Prepaid gratuities per minor are due at final payment

8 or more staterooms must be booked through the Group Department and a $100 damage deposit per minor will be charged.**

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a*relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.*

Edited by SadieN

hi all,

Does your booking meet this criteria?

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

If so, it's no problem because this is Carnival's official rule. Read the details here:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

Just be sure to act responsibly and you'll have no problems.

That being said, be sure to just let your mom be a no-show and do not notify Carnival she's not going. Otherwise, your dad could have to pay a single supplement equal to 100% of his original fare. I have personal experience with this, and it works okay as long as you treat it as a no-show.

Edited by winddawn

we have booked 2 rooms many times one for my husband and i and then for my girls (ages 12 & 9 at the time). We were told they can be in their own room up to 3 rooms away with no issues. Do the no show and don't worry about a thing.

^^this^^

Thanks so much!! I think we're just gonna go for the no-show for Mom. (FYI I'm 15 and my younger sister's 14).

Keep it simple with a no show at check in. Once it's been determined she's not there at sail time, taxes and port fees will be credited back to credit card. Her fare will remain in place because there's no cancellation.

now we have one room for my dad, and one room for my sister and i. we can't have that room unless we have someone over 21 in that room according to policy! !

As long as you have one parent onboard you are good to go. That rule is in place for minors who do not have a parent onboard

She can't check in then leave. Your card has to be scanned when you come in the go off. If she scans then goes off they will be looking for her since she already checked in.

Yes you can - I did it. Needed that 10th cruise to get to the next Loyalty level when that system was grandfathered. Checked in, and boarded. Walked around an hour or so. Then went to the Purser's and told them that due to work circumstances I had to debark and would not be sailing.

I walked off the ship - they scanned that so no issues. And I got credit for the cruise.

Probably happens as well when people realize they forgot something in the car after boarding; a relatively simple matter to debark and then reboard.

As long as you are an adult in room with your sister. Do not have your mom check in unless she is going on cruise - your dad is an adult - you will be fine- you cant trick cruise line --they would hold up ship for "missing" person and may kick you all off because of scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As long as you are an adult in room with your sister. Do not have your mom check in unless she is going on cruise - your dad is an adult - you will be fine- you cant trick cruise line --they would hold up ship for "missing" person and may kick you all off because of scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She CAN check in if she wants credit for the cruise!! But she needs to "check out" as well.

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

Family (sans mom) checked in, boarded ship, went into our rooms. Three hours after we left shore they call us into Guest Services. We tell them that there's no way mom can make it, so they just move me into Dad and sister's room. No charge! So not bad.

An update:

Family (sans mom) checked in, boarded ship, went into our rooms. Three hours after we left shore they call us into Guest Services. We tell them that there's no way mom can make it, so they just move me into Dad and sister's room. No charge! So not bad.

:):):):):)