Steakhouse 50% off wine on first night question

Shroy

Hi,

We booked the steakhouse on our first night on the cruise as a treat but also for the free bottle of wine or 50% off wine.

I have read a few threads and heard that some people have purchased several bottles of wine on the first night.

Can you bring these back to your room after if you purchase them? Does the 50% off apply to all the bottles you buy or just the first one? Is there a limit?

I am thinking of buying 5-6 bottles to last the whole cruise. Has anyone been able to do this and is it frowned upon or is the staff ok with it?

Thanks

Last year, on the Conquest, we got a free bottle of wine for dinner AND we were able to purchase a half price bottle at dinner on the first night. We brought the bottle back to the room. I know there have been people who have purchased more than one bottle, but I think every ship might have their own rules on this stuff. When we leave again tomorrow on the Conquest, we'll find out if the rules are the same this year. It was great to have another bottle in the room, and we might try to have a couple bottles this year. Good luck.

On our last cruise on the Magic in Oct. we went to the Steak House the first night. Were ordered 3 bottles of wine at half price. We took all 3 back to our room and brought them to the MDR to have with dinner. If the bottles do not have screw off tops they may want to open them and re-cork them for you. Why they want to open them ??? good question. We actually drank half of one of the bottle with dinner the first night.It worked out great and we saved some money. It was a great dinner and the wine was good as well. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by woodman

• 2 weeks later...

Is the 50% off wine in the steak restaurant offered on all ships and sailings? We haven't cruised Carnival since 2012, and I'm trying to get a handle on some of the specialty dining discounts that are offered. RCCL offers quite a few prior to embarkation.

Cindy

As far as I know it is offered on all ships that have a steakhouse.

I consider it one of the good deals offered. You can take it to your cabin, or you can do as I do and have all the bottles transferred to the MDR for consumption at dinners throughout the rest of the cruise.

I have a question on this topic. We are cruising on the Breeze in July and have always done the steakhouse as a couple the first night and gotten the free bottle of wine. This time there may be two other couples joining us. Does each couple get the free wine? Or is it per table? Or per check???

I have a question on this topic. We are cruising on the Breeze in July and have always done the steakhouse as a couple the first night and gotten the free bottle of wine. This time there may be two other couples joining us. Does each couple get the free wine? Or is it per table? Or per check???

They do it by reservation. So if you're at the,same,table it may only be 1 bottle. I have never been with more,than 1 other person, but have had others,tell me they only got 1 bottle at a table for 4.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

It should say per table,

We meet some folks at embarkation, We both had a reservation at the steak house the first night,

When we got there we ask to sit together. No problem.

but only one bottle. Even though we had 2 reservation.

I joked and said can we sit at the next table and just yell at each other so we could get 2 bottles

On our last cruise on the Sunshine we bought 5 bottles the first night at 50% off.

We drank one and took one to our cabin.

The other 3 they kept and served it to us in the main dining room thru out the cruise

Just off the Conquest and here is the latest info on 50% off wine or free wine. We did the steakhouse on the first night. The new rules seem to be EITHER 50% off a bottle of wine OR a complimentary bottle at the steakhouse dinner on the first night. Our waitress told us that Carnival was receiving complaints because some ships offered one thing, and then another offered something else, so Carnival has tried to standardize the wine deals. Don't know if there is a limit to the amount of wine you can purchase at half off, but they told us they had to open our wine in the steakhouse and then we could take back to our room whatever we didn't drink --- OR have the wine sent to our table at MDR dinner.

• 1 month later...
Anyone know if they there's a cap on the discount? I'd really like to be able to get the caymus or Rothschild half off!

I've enjoyed it with Caymus, Dom Perignon - if it's on the menu, it's fair game. I have not seen Château Lafite Rothschild on Carnival in years. First time I ever tried it, it was on the wine pairing menu on Celebrity. They dropped that option long ago. I bought a few bottles at sea since then, but once you get in the few hundred/bottle $ range, there's diminishing returns - at least that's what my palate tells me! :D

Tom

Just off the Conquest and here is the latest info on 50% off wine or free wine. We did the steakhouse on the first night. The new rules seem to be EITHER 50% off a bottle of wine OR a complimentary bottle at the steakhouse dinner on the first night. Our waitress told us that Carnival was receiving complaints because some ships offered one thing, and then another offered something else, so Carnival has tried to standardize the wine deals. Don't know if there is a limit to the amount of wine you can purchase at half off, but they told us they had to open our wine in the steakhouse and then we could take back to our room whatever we didn't drink --- OR have the wine sent to our table at MDR dinner.

I can confirm this. It was this way on our Conquest sailing last year and the steakhouse confirmation I received from the steakhouse for this year's Vista sailing says the same thing. I even asked last year if I could purchase more than one bottle at 50% off and was told no. I'm going to ask again this year as well.