TA Pros and Cons

canaltraveler

Having read host Annes sticky Re TA's, can I as a newcomer to to the world of cruising, (just the one on Aurora this April/May), ask what is the view of using TA's to book rather than direct with the company. Any pointers appreciated.

BTW loved Aurora.

Paul M

PS Just seen this, would still appreciate views though.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=1749

Edited by canaltraveler

Having read host Annes sticky Re TA's, can I as a newcomer to to the world of cruising, (just the one on Aurora this April/May), ask what is the view of using TA's to book rather than direct with the company. Any pointers appreciated.

BTW loved Aurora.

Paul M

PS Just seen this, would still appreciate views though.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=1749

A good TA will offer you additional OBC over and above what the cruise line may be offering. For my next cruise, I am getting $400 OBC from the cruise line and an additional $490 OBC from the TA. If I had booked directly with the cruise line, I would be losing that $490 OBC, which could end up costing me the equivalent amount out-of-pocket if I do a lot of on board spending.

A good TA will have a working relationship with the cruise line and often can use that influence to resolve a situation that the customer won't be able to. They will go to bat for you if problems with your booking occur. Problems such as changes in itinerary, changes in stateroom location or category, etc. They sometimes can also help you take advantage of promotions even if you may not qualify. On a past cruise, we had booked months in advance. Several months later another couple decided to join us. When they booked, they had the advantage of a pretty good promotion going on that we did not qualify for. Our TA contacted the cruise line and was able to talked them into giving us the same perks, even though we technically didn't qualify for them.

A good TA can help you with pre and post cruise travel arrangements, from booking air and hotels, to arranging for guides for those stays, and arranging for transfers to and from the ship. Our TA helped up arrange all travel and accommodations for an 8-day visit to Macchu Piccu, Peru and Chile prior to our South America cruise.

And a good TA may have a surprise waiting for you if you are celebrating a special event. We had a bottle of Champagne waiting for us in our stateroom upon boarding, and specialty restaurant reservations on our 30th anniversary. We have been using this TA for many years, so we may have gotten those surprises due to that long term relationship.

Edited by sloopsailor

If you do decide to go with a TA, you may have a hard time finding a good one. And we can not mention any names here.

When we first started to travel many years ago, we tried several TA's before we found a good one and we have had her for over 25 years.

We like getting the extra perks she gets us. Also, since we book using American Express Platinum card, and her company pays the yearly fee for customers to get extra perks via the card for cruising, we like getting an extra $300 per cruise. Booking directly with HAL and even using our card, HAL will not give us the extra $300 shipboard credit.

Our TA's company also does not charge a cancellation fee should we need to cancel a cruise. That is something you need to ask of a TA you might think you want to book with.

We like being able to call her anytime we want or go an see her. She has had to take care of a few problems that have crept up over the years.

BUT -- I prefer to book our own air fares (which are cheaper than she get us) and hotels as we use points many times to pay for them.

Only Con to using a TA is that you lose some control, in that to change anything you have to contact your TA to do it.

Finding one who monitors price drops and added Promos that come up after you have booked is a bonus, otherwise you need to pay attention to offers that may come up. Then you have to contact them. Mine just contacted me about a Promo on our Spring Cruise that dropped the cost over $1000. Last fall she Contacted me about a Drink Package Promo on a 20 day Princess Cruise I had booked for next month. Had to rebook at a few hundred dollars more in cost, but two Drink packages for 20 days costs over $2000.

A TA that is responsive to these changes is key, added OBC is a big plus too as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We check the TAs on line for special offers... and sign up to the big cruise TAs for last minute cruise emails.

So- seeing as you're an Aurora person- we received an email from a TA offering a last minute cruise on Aurora, with an automatic upgrade from inside to outside, and 100 minutes of free wi-fi. :cool: .. and it was a great cruise even though we'd little time to pack!

One cruise we're doing next year is through a TA who is offering transport from home to Newcastle, for a Fred Olsen ship. That makes an enormous difference to us, living in an awkward place. :rolleyes:

Look for UK cruise TAs, and you'll soon see what I mean.

Happy Hunting! :)

Since the OP is located in the UK, there are different "rules" that do not always apply on our side of the pond. Some cruise lines, such as HAL, generally require those in the UK to book through UK agencies....which operate with some different rules (and EU consumer laws) then do agencies in North America.

But over here (USA/Canada) there is some competition and one can usually save money (at least 7%+) by simply shopping around among reputable cruise agencies. In our case, we have saved thousands of dollars (on a single cruise) by simply using an agency that had good deals on that particular cruise. I would also mention that we have never understood those who insist that they maintain "control" by booking directly with a cruise line. Personally, having booked far more then 100 cruises (with 14 cruise lines) we feel much more in control by using a good agency...who has some clout with the cruise line. Cruise line employees work for the cruise line and have only their interest at heart. But a decent agency, who really wants to build a customer base, is working for the cruiser...not the cruise line. So you have an additional advocate. And for those of us who utilize many different cruise lines, a single agent/agency can help sort through the various options with multiple cruise lines.

And finally, for us it is a matter of easy access. If I have an issue or question about any of my future cruises (3 currently booked with 2 different lines) I can simply send an e-mail directly to my agent or agency. This only takes a few seconds of my time and will generally get me a very fast answer...or action. When dealing with most cruise lines I would have to telephone them, often be stuck on hold for some period of time, and often get the wrong answer. It is sometimes amazing how little cruise line booking folks know about their own cruise line. At one time dealing directly with Celebrity, I had a question about Aqua Class (several years ago) and called three time, got three different agents, and three different answers (none of which were correct). Once, when dealing directly with Princess, we received incorrect information about Visa requirements for Brazil. These days we have 4 major cruise agencies on our personal "short list" and price out any cruise with those 4 agencies....and often 1 or 2 others. This process usually takes us no more then 30 minutes and the savings can be quite amazing...especially on longer more expensive cruises.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner