Using 50hz appliances on Board (at 60hz)

emee_18

This will be my first time cruising (will be on Pacific Jewel) and need to know if I need to/ can buy an adapter for my mobile charger and nebuliser.

Nebuliser runs on 50HZ and the advice from P&O was that it could be damaged.

What have others done? Thanks

Your mobile charger will work on 120 or 240 Volts and either 50 or 60 hertz.

Your nebulizer will also be okay on 60 hertz. It just may run a little differently.

"Could" the 60 hz cause a problem? Maybe but highly doubtful.

If it was mine, I wouldn't be concerned. I do work in the electronics field. Not that I can prove it though on a forum such as this.

Thank you very much for that. I should be okay without it for the few mornings if it doesn't work and well if it breaks I will just have to get a new one afterwards (with battery option)!

Nice to have some confirmation of what I was thinking.

The critical thing is to look at the label on the actual "device" (be it a charger or the item itself) and see what it says regarding input power.

For example, my computer "brick" says:

"100-240V~1.5A 50-60Hz"

As long as your "device" falls within both the voltage and frequency ranges, you should be fine. I would wager large sums that your nebulizer fits those ranges.

My own personal rule - if the "device" won't operate over a wide range of voltages, it doesn't get classified as a travel device. (I gave up on carrying voltage converters YEARS ago).

There are different types of nebulizers. Some use a compressor to compress air to aerosolize the medication, some use ultrasonic oscillators to do the same thing. Which type you have affects how the machine may react to changing the frequency of the supply current. The best advice is to contact the nebulizer manufacturer directly and ask this question.

As flyertalker says, the first step is to read the label on the device to see if it is designed for varying frequencies.