Dress code at Royal Court Theatre on Queen Victoria

highlands1234

I'm glad to say that I've seen the dress code enforced on all three Cunard ships, including a man turned away with black jeans in the MDR on an informal night. If people really don't want to dress for dinner and respect their fellow passengers they should choose another cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Mumsysailor

I would be surprised if the dress code was enforced in the theatre. On the last too Cunard cruises I did entertainment staff and guest entertainers sat in the theatre in shorts, t shirts and leisure clothes. After one performance Amanda Reid introduced the entertainers for a later evening as they sat in the audience. Until that point I thought they were scruffily dressed passengers.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You do surprise me here , re the members of the entertainment staff. Not only is it well known, but it's mandatory for any customer facing crew member, particularly those who have, what is known as 'Guest Privileges' to follow the dress code of the evening. (orders from the bridge & hotel department)

Cunard entertainment staff, whether on duty or not, (and at the same time enjoying guest venues/privileges in the evenings) are the face of the company and have always been known to conform to standards of dress.

Shorts & T Shirts :confused: where on earth where you sailing .

First off, I have never been able to enjoy Cunard. But from what I have read on their website, the no blue jeans after 6:00 applies to the Lido/Winter Garden or KC/CL. In other words black jeans would work there but not in the full dress code areas of the ship. Am I correct?

Judging by your listed cruises on your blog, yes, I would say Cunard is not a good fit for you.

Judging by your listed cruises on your blog, yes, I would say Cunard is not a good fit for you.

But Keithm a girl can dream! I could easily follow the dress code and enjoy it. Also, I don't think I would wear shorts to the mdr for lunch or breakfast either. Since you like to do that maybe you should try Carnival. ;)

Edited by mawvkysc

But Keithm a girl can dream! I could easily follow the dress code and enjoy it. Also, I don't think I would wear shorts to the mdr for lunch or breakfast either. Since you like to do that maybe you should try Carnival. ;)

:D:D:D ;) Apparently from what I hear, Keithm has a good pair of legs and can be forgiven for wearing shorts before 6pm. ;)

First off, I have never been able to enjoy Cunard. But from what I have read on their website, the no blue jeans after 6:00 applies to the Lido/Winter Garden or KC/CL. In other words black jeans would work there but not in the full dress code areas of the ship. Am I correct?

I would like to rephrase my first sentence please.

First off, I have never had the pleasure of traveling with Cunard.

I think I may have been misunderstood.

They call Carnival the "Double Wide" at sea for a reason! Go to YouTube & click in Cruise ship fights. You'll see the vast majority are on Carnival. You would find shorts the norm on Cunard at Breakfast/lunch(in the Caribbean, which is where we cruise)Around 4PM the transition to the evening's dress code starts.

I'd say nice black jeans would probably pass muster in the rest of the ship, provided they were really nice(no holes, bleached areas etc.)

Edited by keithm
redo

:D:D:D ;) Apparently from what I hear, Keithm has a good pair of legs and can be forgiven for wearing shorts before 6pm. ;)

Yes, actually I do! Betty Grable should have had such legs! LOL! We've only cruised Cunard in the Caribbean. The normal dress was shorts(nice ones! No Cargo type)at breakfast/lunch. On port days we wore shorts, as we were frequently heading right out to excursions. On sea days we usually wore khaki pants at that time. Not having done a T/A or European, I'd tend to think the dress was a bit more formal in the morning. That being said, overall everyone started the transition to the evening dress code usually after 4PM.

Why oh why do people book a Cunard cruise and then spend their time prior to their cruise actually sailing, wondering how they can "buck the system" or not comply with the cruise standards. Everybody has the freedom to choose whichever cruise they wish, but having done so, should then have the grace to comply out of respect to those who have chosen a cruise for those very cruising standards.

David

Why oh why do people book a Cunard cruise and then spend their time prior to their cruise actually sailing, wondering how they can "buck the system" or not comply with the cruise standards. Everybody has the freedom to choose whichever cruise they wish, but having done so, should then have the grace to comply out of respect to those who have chosen a cruise for those very cruising standards.

David

I don't think it is trying to "buck the system" but merely trying to find out about the system of their chosen cruise.

I doubt very much that one can rent a single jacket and a Tie, full formal wear (black Tie/Tux) yes, but not just an odd jacket.

Appreciate you may live in a hot climate, surely your other half can find a tie or jacket lurking around at the back of the closest ? ......How does he managed with an invite to a wedding or funeral ;)

Please don't even think of embarking on your Cunard cruise without at least a jacket , sitting in your cabin or dining in a self service area each evening is no fun ......so much to see and enjoy in the evenings onboard any Cunard ship.

i laughed when i read your post....

have you ever been to relaxed countries?

people go to both weddings and funerals in casual clothing...

nobody thinks it odd..

if someone shows up in a suit and tie, they would look exceedingly odd..

a few years back, my mom and i went to a funeral...she was very upset she hadn't brought a skirt or dress with her on her visit to us, only trousers...

i said, 'seriously mom - everyone at the funeral will be in jeans or less, along with the mourning family"....i was right....

anyway...not everyone in the world dresses the same way..

and no, he does not have a suit lurking anywhere in the back of a closet..

we probably still have some ties from 30 years ago shoved in a drawer somewhere....but nothing to go with it...a tie with a polo shirt? probably not too cool, eh?

David

i was thinking of cunard not as a "cruise", but actually taking the QM2 for what she was built - a transatlantic voyage....

last time i did the atlantic was in 1963 on the 'real' queen mary...

Edited by alaska_planner

I don't think it is trying to "buck the system" but merely trying to find out about the system of their chosen cruise.

All they have to do is read the brochures, the website information about clothing and general decorum and they will know exactly where Cunard is looking to set the tone. To come on here or elsewhere with their envelope pushing shows a certain level of boorishness not at all welcome by the vast majority of Cunard customers.

All they have to do is read the brochures, the website information about clothing and general decorum and they will know exactly where Cunard is looking to set the tone. To come on here or elsewhere with their envelope pushing shows a certain level of boorishness not at all welcome by the vast majority of Cunard customers.

The OP did read the brochure or website. They were just asking for a clarification and some advice. That is what these boards are for.

Notice the kind attitude of Host Hattie in the sticky with helpful links:

"Welcome to the Cunard board, here are some links which you may find useful when planning your trip. Of course, nothing can substitute for personal experience so please feel free to post questions on the board and someone will be along to answer."

Edited by mawvkysc

This is an example where real life clarification would be helpful to someone.

The U.K. FAQs says shorts for lunch are welcome in the Lido only.

The U.S website does not mention that.

So I apologize to Keithm for my sarcastic remark.

Edited by mawvkysc

This is an example where real life clarification would be helpful to someone.

The U.K. FAQs says shorts for lunch are welcome in the Lido only.

The U.S website does not mention that.

So I apologize to Keithm for my sarcastic remark.

No, that's fine. I actually like really good sarcasm. It shows that one put some effort into a good pithy put down. By the way I really do have nice legs!

I've been following this and am getting pretty confused. Here is what the Cunard website tells me is suitable during the day:

"During the day

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth)."

So my husband can wear "casual shirts and shorts" but then it says that there is a "casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch".

Could someone tell me what the casual wear dress code is? It is not specified anywhere. Thanks :)

Originally Posted by Dajo5601

Echoing Swindens reply, dont think anyone it trying to "buck the system". Actually I think any Violet Crawley types would appreciate the effort to get clarification on what is expected, and it is not always clear. For example, below is the "what to wear" guidance right from my Cunard voyage personaliser;

What to Wear

To assist with packing, we would respectfully request that you read and follow the on board Dress Code policy detailed below. Your consideration for fellow guests and co-operation in adhering to this Dress Code helps us to maintain that unique and special ambiance which our guests enjoy on board a Cunard ocean liner.

Daytime Attire

During the day, stylish casual-wear, including shorts and smart jeans, is fine on board, in keeping with the ship's elegant surroundings. Swimsuits, micro shorts, sarongs and gym wear should be reserved for pool-side, on deck or in the Spa and Fitness Centre and we do request that swimwear be covered up before entering any enclosed areas. For Shore Excursions, please remember to respect the cultural dress norms of your hosts when visiting shrines, temples and churches. During the winter months, in the Mediterranean and Atlantic Islands, we suggest that you pack a waterproof jacket and clothing that can be layered, so you can be comfortable in all conditions from sunny afternoons to chilly nights.

Evening attire

1. FormalDress code video

Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

A range of gentlemen's formal wear is available to hire on board ship.

Evening or cocktail dress for ladies

2. Informal

Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen

Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

Any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship.

You can view each evening’s attire on your Voyage Itinerary. Each evening’s attire will also be specified in the ship’s Daily Programme which will be delivered to your stateroom every evening. On voyages of less than four days, not all dress codes may apply.

I will be wearing appropriate wear after 6pm as I want to watch the shows. However in the day, I may wear cargo shorts as they make sense to me (e.g. carrying smart phones etc...). Based on the guidance above, nowhere does the guidance say I cannot wear cargo shorts, in fact, based on the fact that "micro shorts" are not allowed, I should be extra safe :). I am sure I will get some disapproving glances from some passengers on the cargo shorts(i will live), but dont think I will be in violation or bucking the system based on Cunards' own guidance.

Edited by highlands1234

I've been following this and am getting pretty confused. Here is what the Cunard website tells me is suitable during the day:

"During the day

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth)."

So my husband can wear "casual shirts and shorts" but then it says that there is a "casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch".

Could someone tell me what the casual wear dress code is? It is not specified anywhere. Thanks :)

"Casual wear dress code" means trousers and a shirt. The word "however" above shows shorts are not appropriate for the main restaurants. This doesn't mean they will necessarily be rejected (elsewhere I have pointed out I have seen jacket-less [gentle]men wearing baseball caps in the theatre after 6pm and nothing was done) but they are not appropriate and anybody wishing to respect the code and their fellow passengers will avoid them.

"Casual wear dress code" means trousers and a shirt. The word "however" above shows shorts are not appropriate for the main restaurants. This doesn't mean they will necessarily be rejected (elsewhere I have pointed out I have seen jacket-less [gentle]men wearing baseball caps in the theatre after 6pm and nothing was done) but they are not appropriate and anybody wishing to respect the code and their fellow passengers will avoid them.

It seems to me, there is an ambiguity here regarding Casual Wear.

In their brochure and online, Cunard states during the day 'stylish casual wear' includes the wearing of shorts, adding swim/gym wear/micro shorts, sarongs etc be reserved for poolside/deck/gym/spa.

That indicates during the day, [most] shorts, along with decent [my interpretation] jeans are accepted wear throughout the ship.

Evening Casual Wear is an altogether different code.

I realise these two codes are open to personal interpretation, and my husband never wears shorts in the restaurant which is his choice but unless I've been looking in the wrong places, no where does it state shorts cannot be worn in the main restaurants during the day. As an aside, I find more shorts are seen in warmer climes than the cooler waters.

I have always worn shorts to breakfast and lunch in the MDR (weather dependent) and have never been pulled up about it, on all three Queens. It never occurred to me that it would be otherwise given the number of people in there wearing shorts.

In fact I would be very miffed if I was, I actively dislike buffet dining and if I was on an excursion or taking part in an activity like fencing, then I wouldn't want to get dressed for breakfast and then have to go back to the stateroom to change back into something more suitable after.

In as much as there appears to be a lot of misunderstanding about the Cunard dress code, about we all agree to solve it by dressing at ALL times to the top of the code not the bottom. Everyone should appear like those in the brochures. jackets for men at tea time. No shorts of any kind in the dining rooms and always a tie for casual evenings with the blazer. Ladies will wear dresses or gowns after 6 pm and even during the afternoon tea dresses would not be out of place. Seems pretty understandable to me and what a wonderful up grade it would take all of Cunard's ships.

In life there should be a few times when everyone makes the effort for better rather than worse in societal behavior. So far we certainly have not left the kids and grand kids anything to be proud of.