QM2 possible passenger overboard

Roland787

Studied time rates in cold water exposure situations describe loss of consciousness in 15 to 30 minutes at the current water temp in that location. Death in 60 to 90 minutes if drowning has not occurred first. Probably sooner with the age of the passenger in question. Sad but the hard facts of the North Atlantic. Hope they learn why this happened.

Even in the warm waters of the Caribbean (70-80*F), loss of consciousness can happen in as little as 2-12 hours, and advanced age or poor health pushes that towards the low end. With loss of consciousness comes the inability to handle seas in the face, and drowning ensues. As you say, Jim, these are the facts of going to sea, regardless of where you are.

The BBC article linked above states the ship confirms the person is not onboard, and the USCG has called off the search.

I am sorry to say there is no new news about the missing lady on board beyond what has already been said.

They made two ship wide public address announcements. I can't recall when the first one was exactly as it woke me from a sound sleep. It may have been as early as around 4AM. The second call was closer to 6:00am and as soon as I heard that I looked out my balcony and saw the sun rising on the the starboard side. At once I knew someone must have gone overboard a short while later Captain Oprey made his first announcement that we had reversed course and would begin as search.

I feel that Captain Oprey and the crew did the very best that they could for this woman. I saw Captain Oprey in Kings Court today, but I didn't ask him about the situation.

There are some unsubstantiated rumors going around the ship among passengers about the missing passenger, and her family but out of respect for her and her family I don't feel it would be appropriate to post them here.

Roland764

Edited by Roland787

Though probably just standard procedure after someone has gone missing off a ship, there is a forensic unit aboard the ship today in St. Marten.

I have heard no additional details about the missing lady.

Roland787

Is that why the ship hasn't left yet? I thought it was supposed to leave at 3pm.

• 2 weeks later...