QM2 possible passenger overboard

Roland787

A bit of a somber morning here aboard QM2. Captain Oprey made an announcement that we are "dealing with a serious missing person situation on board." Many calls were made early in the on the public address system asking for a lady to make a phone call immediately. I noticed that we had made a 180 degree turn and were picking up speed according to the voyage tracker on the TV. Oprey said we will retrace our course and begin a search. The US Coast Guard has been notified and may provide assistance. We're currently doing 25.4 knots.

Prayers for the missing lady.

Roland764

A bit of a somber morning here aboard QM2. Captain Oprey made an announcement that we are "dealing with a serious missing person situation on board." Many calls were made early in the on the public address system asking for a lady to make a phone call immediately. I noticed that we had made a 180 degree turn and were picking up speed according to the voyage tracker on the TV. Oprey said we will retrace our course and begin a search. The US Coast Guard has been notified and may provide assistance. We're currently doing 25.4 knots.

Prayers for the missing lady. Roland764

Prayers For Missing Person....

We have a couple onboard celebrating the Holiday Cruise and was looking forward to a happy voyage.

I too am watching the Marine Traffic with Satellite Coverage and noticed this strange event.

Thought it was maybe a Call To Rescue in the Water the Queen is always offering assistance to.

Will be keeping an eye this event and hope for the best outcome.

Best Wishes to all Onboard....

We reached our search area and QM2 has begun its search. The US Coast Guard is also assisting with the search. QM2 was joined by 2 US Coast guard C130 Aircraft. Capt. Oprey has asked people to assist with the search from deck.

Roland787

I'm following updates about this on fb- so terribly sad. If you look at the deck can you can see crew looking over the bow. Must be the absolute worst part of their job. Thoughts to all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Oprey informed us that we have completed the first of our search locations. We are heading south to a second search location where we will continue to search as long as daylight allows. He thanked passengers for their assistance.

We reached our search area and QM2 has begun its search. The US Coast Guard is also assisting with the search. QM2 was joined by 2 US Coast guard C130 Aircraft. Capt. Oprey has asked people to assist with the search from deck. Roland787

So proud of all the those participating (crew & passengers) in the search and rescue of the missing passenger on the Queen. As a retired Emergency Service Member, I would have volunteered my assistance to help search the ship too. The passenger may have also experienced a medical condition and lost their way and still onboard.

Special thanks also to the US Coast Guard and all their technology to search the waters.

Still praying for a miracle outcome it possible.

The passenger may have also experienced a medical condition and lost their way and still onboard.

It would be lovely if this were the case. Unless the cameras have shown she went overboard. I guess they have searched just about every inch of the ship by now though, but there is always hope.

There is no way a person "falls" overboard.

Jumped, yes---- suicide is, of course, so sad.

Thrown over ?? certainly Possible--- which is murder.

But the reality is that no one survives in the cold North

Atlantic in Dec.

Absolutely stressful + heart-breaking for all.

Studied time rates in cold water exposure situations describe loss of consciousness in 15 to 30 minutes at the current water temp in that location. Death in 60 to 90 minutes if drowning has not occurred first. Probably sooner with the age of the passenger in question. Sad but the hard facts of the North Atlantic. Hope they learn why this happened.

I think 3 AM is a reporting error (I know others have said an earlier time as well). But I heard first shipside announcement paging the woman about 6:10 local time, and by 6:30 or 7 we had turned north to begin the search.

About half an hour ago the Captain announced that with nightfall the search has been called off and we have returned to our track bound for St. Maarten.

This is such a tragic situation. On fb someone has said that a body has been found but of course, that could be conjecture as I don't know if they are on board. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 3 AM is a reporting error (I know others have said an earlier time as well). But I heard first shipside announcement paging the woman about 6:10 local time, and by 6:30 or 7 we had turned north to begin the search.

About half an hour ago the Captain announced that with nightfall the search has been called off and we have returned to our track bound for St. Maarten.

I overheard at dinner that apparently her absence was first noticed at about 3 AM, so I guess that must be true. I'm surprised that I didn't hear the Captain paging for her until after 6.

No word onboard about a body having been recovered. I know that we did not stop to recover anything.

Edited by Underwatr

I am so sorry for all concerned. I keep recalling this poem, memorized as a student. I hope it is not inappropriate.

'No Man is an Island'

No man is an island entire of itself; every man

is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;

if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe

is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as

well as any manner of thy friends or of thine

own were; any man's death diminishes me,

because I am involved in mankind.

And therefore never send to know for whom

the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

MEDITATION XVII

Devotions upon Emergent Occasions

John Donne

---------------------

And now, having recited that poem, may I wish Chanukah and Christmas blessings to all.

Pax Vobiscum!

Edited by Salacia

I overheard at dinner that apparently her absence was first noticed at about 3 AM, so I guess that must be true. I'm surprised that I didn't hear the Captain paging for her until after 6.

No word onboard about a body having been recovered. I know that we did not stop to recover anything.

Someone on the Feb post is onboard too and they mentioned an announcement at 4am. Either way, terribly sad for everyone. I hope that you all enjoy the remainder the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk