Epic- Live December 23-30th. Merry Christmas

BermudaBound2014

Quick check in while I still have internet-

Arrived last night. Stayed at Wyndham in Orlando. Perfectly fine for a one night stay. Be aware of airport ground transportation in Orlando. Some confusion lead to a nice hike in circles around the airport. Twice. Not like I didn't need the exercise. Hotel clean and in a very good location. I'd stay there again.

Used contrans. Class A operation. $20 pp to the port. Arrived on-time. Busy week so we ended up on a full size charter bus with nice comfy seats. 50 minutes door to escalator.

Arrived at port at 11:20. No lines to speak of. Despite a computer crash with our CC, we were sitting in Taste at noon with posh pass in hand. Note- posh pass was $59.00. I pre-purchase a thermal suite pass for $179.00 in October. In November the price rose to 199.00. However; The thermal passes are currently listed in the compass for $246.00 :::gulp:::. How they came up with that number I have no idea. I suspect it's another busy week phenomenon.

Had some tomato soup and a really nice grouper sandwich on a pretzel roll. Service very prompt, but we arrived right as they opened so that always helps. Vanessa is lovely- couldn't be any sweeter. I always admire how the staff can switch gears from goodbye to hello in a matter of a few hours. Mad skills.

I've never traveled at Christmas before. Being from the great white north, this is a bit strange. We had 12 inches of snow last week (snow day from school and everything- woot woot). We had some deaths in the family this year so currently exploring new traditions (aka- avoidance at its finest.) The ship is decorated lovely and Christmas music is piped in. Many of the staff are sporting Santa hats and apparently it's not politically incorrect to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. So far- so good.

Side note- we can't make comedy show reservations via the app. Breakaway and getaway both had an app for that. Epic is in-room TV or kiosk only. How 2010.

Just in case you didn't believe me:

72b67dbfe3ca9b2870834926127a9290.jpg

Quick check in while I still have internet-

However; The thermal passes are currently listed in the compass for $246.00 :::gulp:::. How they came up with that number I have no idea. I suspect it's another busy week phenomenon.

Just in case you didn't believe me:

72b67dbfe3ca9b2870834926127a9290.jpg

By "compass", do you mean the "Freestyle Daily"?

Thank you for posting and have a great week!

Yes-the daily. I can never keep the names straight- compass, daily, get-up-n-go, navigator. All the lines call it something different :).

Oasis is in port. I look forward to sailing past her in the channel. She's on my bucket list.

Breakaway is also here on a day call - and Majesty. I remember when she was huge, now she looks sort of lanky without all the balconies. Almost as odd as this top hat :). I swore I'd never sail on epic just cause I find her a bit ugly- I mean top-heavy. I changed my mind when I found a last minute deep discount holiday sailing. I mean I don't have to look at her once I'm inside and her thermal suite is without a doubt one of the nicest on the high seas with the outdoor aft area and floor to ceiling sauna.

Initial service has been terrific. Maybe too good. Is it bad to have polished off 4 titos n-tonic before muster? That just might be a record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muster went off without a hitch. My last 3 musters have been a bit of a cluster. I sailed Msc divina last April and June. Msc musters are pretty much a joke. You still take life jackets and both my locations were sardine packed. Add everyone talking when it wasn't their language on the PA (and it's rarely your language on Msc) and I seriously considered what it would be like in a real emergency. I also sailed RCL in August. Musters on their baby ships are still held outside in the famous shoulder to shoulder military lines. Hint- Don't ever arrive early or you'll be smashed against steel and gasping for air. Totally reminiscent of cruise days gone by. It was sprinkling too and being outside we got wet- but really, who can date to complain in Venice?

Spent sail away tucked in a clam shell up in posh with another Tito-n-tonic. They came around with little tapa type snacks on trays. One looked like caviar but that can't possibly be. I went for the shrimp w cream cheese on brochette. I must have drifted off to sleep because I didn't even notice the oasis sailing away in the distance. Amazingly, The sail away party was still in full swing by the time I woke up. I can tell this is going to be a Fun sailing because even the wheelchair crowd was dancing in their chairs. Pool band was great at keeping the crowd involved and a ship full of free ultimate beverage package peeps always keeps things interesting.

We didn't feel like cleaning up for dinner so slummed it at the buffet. They served an amazing prime rib! Prime rib is one of my indulgences on a cruise and this was the best cruise prime I can remember. I took the opportunity to go totally carb free for the evening and gouged like the good carnivore I am (should mention dh only eats fish so he is always amazed at how much rare cow I can pack away- and loves me anyway).

From there it was off to the spa for me. I had an 8:00 pm pedicure scheduled and while I couldn't bother to change for dinner I did manage to put on my swimsuit for some thermal spa time. Pedicure was just ok. I try to avoid the $82.80 pedicures onboard but sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. Thermal Spa stays open until 11 (ask me how I know) and after a long circuit in the steam room, hydro pool and heated lounger I was jelloish and went to bed. Dh understands that I need my S.P.A.time and I support his need for I.P.A. time. We are great together that way. He went to howl and said it was fun.

Today is great stirrup cay and the weather cooperated. First time

I was here was on the Norway back in the mid-90s. Happy to report that the "little Norway" is still operational. In the old days they would just ram her up on the shore, drop the gate, and we would storm the beach like Normandy. Now there is a whole canal and docking process. While still beautiful, this isn't a deserted isle anymore. Progress at its finest

I suppose.

An "of-the-sea" was also visiting cocoa cay today which is a much smaller version ncls sandbar ::: sticks tongue out::::. I'll post pics upon return for anyone that doesn't realize just how close these two really are. I could swim it if it weren't for the twenty pounds of prime rib I packed away last night, and sharks. We elected not to fight the tender crowd and just waited the process out. First tender was called at 7:45 am (we weren't scheduled to arrive until 8:00). We chilled in the free version of posh with better views. All the way forward on deck 18. I'll post pics later but it was us and one lady the entire time. Place is kind of hard to find, but be persistent. Totally worth it. Tender for those of us on island time was called around 11:30 so get tender tickets in PC if you want a full day.

Island was fine but, as expected quite crowded. Took a little hike to the lighthouse which is a tradition. Ocean was a bit cool but the sun was hot. Lots of loungers available at the far beach, shade too. Bar was super crowded and we've grown rather fond of the bartender in posh so we were back onboard by 2:30 w/ no wait for tender.

Did a quick lunch at the buffet. They grilled hubby a fish burger without hesitation. The themed burger today was bacon and blue cheese and there was also a Hawaiian burger at the grill. I went for the black and blue hand tossed salad (more carnivore food since I rarely cook meat at home). I'm a sucker for a good tossed salad and ate them everyday for lunch on both Breakaway and Getaway. I know I'm in the minority, but I think NCL has really good buffet food, perhaps the best. I'm simple and the tossed salad for lunch does me perfectly well, but there was also a Mexican station, a pasta station, and a carving station with tenderloin along with all the other selections one would expect. Hot food always hot and cold food always cold. If you manage to avoid peak times the forward facing view is lovely and it's no problem finding a table. In peak times, more challenging.

Speaking of peak times, another thing I like about NCL is that they provide multiple venues for the most important items- ice cream! There are two sections of hard packed AND soft serve inside the buffet two soft serve machines outdoor in the garden cafe area. That makes 4 soft serve ice cream machines with little waiting-ever. Oh yeah, they also have 4 stations for omelets- we walked right up to be served this morning. Much better than my last trip on RCL and MSC where getting an omelet made takes longer than .

Tonight they are offering many Christmas Eve activities. Christmas carol is playing outside at spice. I like outdoor movies while cruising and DH has agreed to attend. In return I promised to close the cavern with him tonight. Did I mention we are good like that?

Santa is doing a story in the atrium and when we walked by the bright eyed little ones were so stinking cute I got teary eyed. There are 3 special Christmas shows in the theatre too.

At 9:00 there is Christmas caroling in the atrium with the captain and crew. Personally I think it would be more fun to put together a Christmas conga line and tramp through the hallways at midnight seeing who can sing jingle bells the loudest but what do I know.

Speaking about how little I know, I should probably give some background about myself for perspective. This is turning into an Epic novel (get it- nudge nudge). Beside, if you've held out this long you obviously have nothing else to do.

I've been sailing since 1987. For the old timers, lines long gone; regency, dolphin, commodore- hell I even made a treks the ginormous SS Norway before she exploded . I'm not new to this gig. Basically I've outlived my first decade of cruise ships which are either in the scrapyard or sitting on the bottom of the ocean. If you knew me you'd know just how Impressive that is.

I go in spurts often taking breaks from cruising for several years. I

consider myself a traveler, not a cruiser. I don't need fancy, and until my travel budget becomes unlimited I look for value. Good old fashion bang for the buck. Even Hostels aren't out of the question for the right destination (can you say Galapagos in August- sooooo flipping excited for that trip). Right now I'm in a cruise spurt with 4 in 2016 and the anthem booked for April. I'll probably take a break after that as my waist line is crying for relief. I'm thinking a 100 mile trek across the Sahara Desert is in order soon.

I'm barely loyal to my own family, so I have absolutely zero brand loyalty. In the grand scheme of things, I believe all lines have more in common than different. We appreciate free style on ncl- and I strongly believe ncl has the best entertainment options at sea. We love Comedy Central, and rarely miss Howl at the moon. Clubs like fat cats, cavern, and the brew house are our style and who can forget 24 hour o'sheehans for the neighborhood bar experience with free food. Oh- and the water slides!!!!! The 3-2-1 capsule-launching-floor-drops-out-from-under-you-heart attack water slides on getaway and breakaway are TOTALLY awesome and I'm looking forward to trying the toilet bowl on epic. The only thing that competes with the Away class trill ride activities is I-fly on Quantum class. Review to come.

One thing that I have noticed is lacking on epic is connection to the sea (knew this going in). The aways have the waterfront which we use to the fullest, but the epic is VERY dark. Much like the stunning MSC divina. I read, but didn't fact check, that the divina was originally scheduled to be another Away before Msc took over and I do see the similarities. My favorite ships from a construction perspective are the Radiance and Vision class with floor to ceiling windows at every turn. But with every yin there is a yang and I manage to dig deep and find something beautiful on every ship I've ever sailed. I'm a trouper that way.

Right now we are sitting outside at Spice with drinks in hand waiting for Christmas Carol to start on the big screen. Normally I watch this in front of my fireplace so it's going to be different. Different is good-no?

Disclaimer- I'm writing in chunks while off line so Please forgive tense errors.

Merry Christmas Eve :)

You where lucky about no lines when I got to the port on th ncl shuttle from Marriott Lakeside there was a massive line. I will remember next time to book my own flight the one I was on from ncl was an indirect flight from Heathrow to Washington then Washington to Orlando. The flight was late taking off and landed about 45minutes before the gates closed so I only just made it in time. As I was runnung to the gate you could hear them calling final boarding, then ther was someone in my seat but I said all I needed was a seat so that didn't matter. It was a frustrating day as I had to pop out to deliver my aunts Christmas present and almost got home when I must hav it a nail or something on the road as I have now got a flat tyre on my front right side (not ncl related but irritating start to a holiday). Great stirrup cay was great brought a snorkelling mad that goes over your face as I had tried tradion all snorkelling and didn't get on with it. Had a lovely time and will do it again as I am doing the Christmas and new year cruise back to back. The Internet has been OK as well. I went down to the Manhatten room saw everyone dressed up so went back and got dressed up and had s nice meal. But as my body is still working uk time went to bed early, a mixture of that and working shifts means I wake up early is why I am wide awake at 3 am in the morning. That happens at home as well you finish you day shift pattern and think great a lie in and bright and early you wake up with no chance of going back to sleep. The cruise is going well so far making up for little irritations like the tyre and flight connections looking forward to seeing what they do for Christmas Day.

Edited by PaulaSB12

Merry Christmas from a beautiful day at sea onboard the Norwegian epic.

Last night the Christmas Carol movie turned out to be Jim Carey's re-make. Slightly disappointing version of a classic. Weather outside was perfect, but why-oh-why can't they keep the lounge chairs out for movies? Drives me nuts. Absolutely insane. Listen NCL (and MSC for that matter); sometimes you have to copy the next guy because it works. ::::chanting:::: We want comfy blankets, loungers, and pillows like MUTS. It can't be that hard. You either put the loungers away at 8:00 before the movie or put them away at 11:00 after the movie. Easy peasy. Surprisingly, There was good table service for drinks during the movie (notice plural) and hubby did a few popcorn runs so all was not lost.

I'm embarrassed to admit we actually went to the 10 pm special Christmas Eve show. It was a one time performance with burn dancers and the cast of Priscilla. It was the best corney show I've seen in a long while. The singers from Priscilla have serious talent and I got teary eyed again at some of the silly Christmas sentiment. Plus, who doesn't like Santa and as a bonus they made 2 inches of snow at the end :::: que vacuum cleaner ::::. Apparently the pope live from the Vatican will show in Epic theatre tomorrow morning. My crystal ball predicted I'm going to miss it just like the last 3 decades. So much for the good catholic school girl image.

Timing was perfect because they were letting in standby just as we walked past, so we watched the late night comedy in headliners with Brad and Heath. Both the comics were good- not laugh till you snort good-but good-good. Brad was from Comedy Central and it showed. We always enjoy the entertainment and it's even better when the entire audience has the ultimate drink package. For those still confused, New York is not in the Midwest.

Show ended at midnight and we hadn't eaten dinner so stopped at O'sheehans for wings and a beer. Correction, I had wings, hubby had fish-n-chips- we both had beer. I make it a goal to have all four types of wings each trip. O'sheehans has the best wings at sea. Went for the Texas bbq and wasn't disappointed. Hubby said the fish was just ok - that's what you get for being a pesky pecscitarian.

Siglo was playing in cavern and we caught their last set. Hubby is a pink Floyd fan and I appreciate any good Zeppelin cover so this was right up our alley. We prefer live music so typically skip Bliss, but walked by around 2:00 am and it still sounded busy. That's a great venue BTW- I'm surprised they don't do more with it.

We woke surprisingly early for Christmas morning. I decided I needed some exercise so headed out to the promenade. It's a sucky one on the Epic, but I managed 5 miles and watched the sunrise between life boats. Hubby doesn't have to consciously exercise. He has the metabolism of a twenty year old. Hate him.

Did breakfast in the Mdr so handsome hubby could get his salmon eggs benedict. He loves it. I had more traditional eggs and bacon and gave away my toast so I could indulge in a mid morning mudslide. Whenever I anticipate bad calorie decisions in my near future I justify them by limiting toast. Denial is an amazing thing.

By the time we made it to posh it

was 9:30 and all the clam shell beds were taken on deck 18 so I found my new favorite spot in a clamshell in the corner of deck 19. You can position the clamshells against the railing and once you put up the cloth it's like your own private world. I'm officially coming back as a hermit crab in my next life.

It was windy all day. I'm talking blow the lime right out of your Tito-n-tonic windy, but the sun was scorching and the shade necessary. DH can only take a limited time in the clamshell so he went to do his thing- he either Found a corner to write philosophy or a football game on TV. I never can predict.

At some point in the day I moved from the clamshell to the spa- rough life but someone has to do it. I love me an act facing balcony and book them often. But when you can't get an aft balcony the outdoor spa area on epic is dreamy!! Laying on the couch, watching the wake, cool breeze = more napping for me. Between my hermit clam shell and the outdoor aft area of the thermal spa this is turning into a one week nap cruise.

We had cagneys booked this evening so I could get my prime rib indulgence, but I'm totally satisfied from the prime on Friday so we cancelled. Tonight we have more comedy booked and then it's howl at the moon dueling pianos- which happens to be one of my favorite venues. I'm sure we will end up at cavern at some point also. The Beatles aren't our favorite (gasp), but worth seeing in a traditional Liverpool venue.

I should mention that Service everywhere has been great! One thing I've learned to maximize enjoyment on the mega ships is to ying while everyone else is yanging, zig when they zag, ding when they dong. So far neither one of us have waited long at any bar (and we've tried one or twenty). Nor have we waited for dining service anywhere. It takes a bit of practice but we've turned avoiding the crowds on mega ships into an art form.

Speaking of service, my two cents on tipping. Disclaimer, I put myself through 12 years of college pouring drinks in a nightclub so I'm openly prejudice. It's hard work and I believe in tipping those who provide an extra touch of service (but don't tip extra than the dsc for marginal service). This year I wrapped a few dollars and tied them to candy canes with cute xmass ribbon. DH rolled his eyes too. Let me say they have been a huge hit!!! Maybe candy canes are harder to come by in other countries- but our servers light up when receiving. I wish I brought more (we travel with carry on only). I only have two dozen and I've already given out half.

An example of what I mean by an "extra touch" was the bartender who wrote my name In chocolate sauce on my morning mudslide. Bam- candy cane cash! Or the coffee refill lady at breakfast yesterday who offered to get me a coffee cup because I forgot mine. Life saver. IMO- rewarding exceptional service encourages more exceptional service :::::steps off soapbox::::::

Off to find evening shenanigans- Christmas in the Caribbean isn't hateful :)

Good morning from another beautiful (unscheduled) sea day aboard the Epic.

Woke to the captain announcing we would be canceling our scheduled stop at Falmouth today due to high winds. Captain has never stopped there as Falmouth port is quite new. It's a pier stop but very unprotected. He stated he tried for Montego Bay but the pier that could accommodate this monster was unavailable.

Personally, I'm totally cool with this. I have posh passes and thermal suite passes so I have plenty of places to avoid the masses. We didn't have anything scheduled in this port other checking out the new Pier area which looks quite nice. When I want to visit Jamaica i go there for a week (or three). I'm partial to Negril and the south coast anyway. I have also stayed in Ocho and Trewany (near Falmouth), so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. As mentioned, I've been cruising for 30 years and missing ports is simply part of the game everyone should be prepared for. Based on the scowls in the elevator I'm thinking guest services will be quite busy today :).

The oasis was scheduled to dock next to us today in Falmouth. If anyone also visits the RcL board I'm curious to know if she makes it in.

According to Scott the CD, a Revised freestyle daily will be put out around 10 am. I won't need it as a clamshell is calling my name :).

Good morning from another beautiful (unscheduled) sea day aboard the Epic.

Woke to the captain announcing we would be canceling our scheduled stop at Falmouth today due to high winds. Captain has never stopped there as Falmouth port is quite new. It's a pier stop but very unprotected. He stated he tried for Montego Bay but the pier that could accommodate this monster was unavailable.

Personally, I'm totally cool with this. I have posh passes and thermal suite passes so I have plenty of places to avoid the masses. We didn't have anything scheduled in this port other checking out the new Pier area which looks quite nice. When I want to visit Jamaica i go there for a week (or three). I'm partial to Negril and the south coast anyway. I have also stayed in Ocho and Trewany (near Falmouth), so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. As mentioned, I've been cruising for 30 years and missing ports is simply part of the game everyone should be prepared for. Based on the scowls in the elevator I'm thinking guest services will be quite busy today :).

The oasis was scheduled to dock next to us today in Falmouth. If anyone also visits the RcL board I'm curious to know if she makes it in.

According to Scott the CD, a Revised freestyle daily will be put out around 10 am. I won't need it as a clamshell is calling my name :).

Yea, this isn't awful. Falmouth is in the middle of no-where. The town is fine, with some nice history. They do have a nice walking "culinary" tour which gives you a nice history of the town and a sampling of some local vendors. Just google "Falmouth Culinary Tour" next time you're scheduled to stop. Otherwise we hop off for a patty and then return to the ship.

How crowded is the pool deck this week? We sail on the 30th, and I'm assuming your cruise is at, or almost at, capacity, like ours. Trying to decide whether or not to get the Posh passes. We really aren't people who like to be tucked away - we prefer to be with the crowds and the "fun", but if it's completely crazy then I will go ahead and get our posh passes.

Loving your review! I like your style, ahh geez no port, oh well Posh and Spa! What could be better than that. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences, we have really enjoyed it.

Jai

Ooops, I was replying on Dan's computer! Back on mine now! Still loving your review and looking forward to more!

Jai

Confession- I'm having a deeply passionate love affair. With a clamshell on deck 19. If this isn't heaven I don't know what is. Hubby is coming dangerously close to being traded in for wicker and an umbrella. Of course, I suspect I must be equally cautious of the relationship building between he and the bartender in posh. I peeked out once to find them both balancing aluminum beer cans on their head in what I assume could only be some soft of manly testosterone competition.

Needless to say, We treated the extra day at sea much like we treat all days at sea. I spent 4 (ok 6.5) hours tucked in my clamshell only coming out for food once (it was hand tossed Greek salad day- yum). Between hubby and the bar staff my drink was always full (I'm tricky that way). I vacillate between Evanovich and napping. Perfection.

At about 3ish it started getting too hot (even in my shaded paradise) so I headed to the thermal spa for a few hours. My sun worshipping days changed with my first Wrinkle. As a woman who pays serious coin to have sunspots tasered off each year, I try to avoid direct sun on my face and upper body. I'm going home sporting an impressive tan from the knees down.

They really did a nice job modifying the daily schedule for the missed port. An extra comedy show was added in the afternoon. Dory played in the atrium. Scattagories, Wi, and extra trivia. A puffy eye seminar in the spa (I'm waiting for the puffy ass seminar). Even A Chinese language class to go along with arts and craft orgami. An extra canvas by u session, and multiple "extra special" sales in the gift shops. I didn't attend but I'm betting the watches were half off.

Oh, they also offered free rum punch at the pool at noon and I suspect a refund for port taxes will be forthcoming. Nothing has posted on my account yet and no notice on the door when we came back to the room to shower.

This evening we have Burn the floor tickets, a Caribbean deck party, and then we plan to see Siglo in Cavern. Tomorrow is grand Caymen and we are swimming with the stingrays. Been there, done that, want to do it again. Love barb dodging.

Sissa- I'm not a great person to ask about crowding. For me, deck 18 of posh is too crowded so I moved to a tucked away corner on 19. I do think the Epic handles the crowd around the pool MUCH better than getaway and breakaway. There seems to be more layers for chairs and the pool deck itself seems bigger to me. From my vantage point I have a great view of the hidden public deck space on 18 and even that was full today by noonish. I'll snap a few pics of the pool and post them for you when I get to upload-able internet first thing Friday morning. You should be able to view them before boarding and make your own decision. I will say this, the bar service is Posh is terrific so if you have UBP I think posh might be worth it just to get drinks in a timely fashion. I viewed some seriously intimidating lines at the pool bar today and being from the Detroit area I'm typically only intimidated by rapid gunfire.

Brklynfinest- I'll do a white Hennessy run for you- you have good taste :)

Brklynfinest- I'll do a white Hennessy run for you- you have good taste :)

Aaawww thanks so.much its so smooth and can't get it here in the states ..ugh!!! ..lol.. BTW Im so loving your review .. everytime I see your post I get excited!!! .. I'll be on her in march for my anniversary excited!!! But I just found out there will be a radio personality that doing a cruise with his listener and a paralegal conference on the ship with us which don't make me to happy as I feel it going to be crazy and I booked this cruise to relax... so hearing all your relaxing tips make me happy... I will have access to posh, haven courtyard and plan on getting a 2 day pass for the spa so hopefully that will help me escape all the madness when I want too. .. I'm still super excited no matter what!!... can't wait to read more of your review

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Edited by bklynfinest77