Carnival vs Disney

SCAnthony

My kids 7-9 get a longer cruise and a couple more days in a resort in Florida beforehand by NOT taking a Disney cruise. They wouldn't trade that for the equal cost of a shorter Disney cruise and no ocean resort. We'd never allow ourselves to be taken by Disney's ridiculous prices...... ever.

Nope, not one. Save your money and take several Carnival cruises instead.

There is always a crowd that believes if something is X times more expensive then it must be a least X times better . Frankly good for the mouse , and good for me as I own the stock .:D Otherwise if I'm going to pay premium prices , as in a multiple of regular prices, it will be on a premium line.

I was on the Disney Fantasy last Jan. for the first Star Wars at Sea. It was myself, 2 daughters and 2 grandkids. We had 2 of the Family Oceanview cabins with the 2 floor to ceiling portholes. The sitting area and the bed is separated by a half wall with TV's on both sides. This cabin was huge and really felt like a suite. We booked before SWAS was announced, so I thought we got a deal for 3 of us in that cabin for $3400.

I thought Disney did a lot of things really well with little things added into the price. They used to Allow you to bring your own alcohol on board, but that changed to 2 bottles of wine or a 6 pack of beer on, and it can be replenished in ports.

Unfortunately, we missed Castaway Cay due to weather, so can't give my 2 cents on that.

I thought the MDR food was comparable and I liked the rotational dining. I think Disneys breakfast and lunch buffet outshines any other cruise line I've been on.

They have a real movie theater and showed all the Star Wars movies throughout the cruise and all the Disney movie played on the TV's inside the cabin, along with other adult featured movies at no extra charge.

I normally travel solo, and wouldn't cruise Disney on my own, but seeing the joy and amazement in my grandchildrens eyes made it all worth while.

It really was a great product, if that's what you like. if not, there are lots of options out there.

When is the last time you cruised Disney? What didn't you like about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't. I've sailed HAL, CCL, RCCL, Princess, & NCL. What I don't like about Disney and what keeps me off them is pricing. And you'll notice I haven't said anything about cruising Disney other than their pricing which can be proven. What I was responding to was another poster claiming how Disney had this and that that wasn't available elsewhere or how CC was so much better than everything else out there while having never been hardly anywhere else. And yes, I am a firm believer that before making decisions on whether something is good or bad you actually try it first. Kind of like when you mom would tell you to eat your vegetables because you might like some of them and you probably found out you did. Try the same logic with cruising......try it before you gush or complain about it.

I was on the Disney Fantasy last Jan. for the first Star Wars at Sea. It was myself, 2 daughters and 2 grandkids. We had 2 of the Family Oceanview cabins with the 2 floor to ceiling portholes. The sitting area and the bed is separated by a half wall with TV's on both sides. This cabin was huge and really felt like a suite. We booked before SWAS was announced, so I thought we got a deal for 3 of us in that cabin for $3400.

I thought Disney did a lot of things really well with little things added into the price. They used to Allow you to bring your own alcohol on board, but that changed to 2 bottles of wine or a 6 pack of beer on, and it can be replenished in ports.

Unfortunately, we missed Castaway Cay due to weather, so can't give my 2 cents on that.

I thought the MDR food was comparable and I liked the rotational dining. I think Disneys breakfast and lunch buffet outshines any other cruise line I've been on.

They have a real movie theater and showed all the Star Wars movies throughout the cruise and all the Disney movie played on the TV's inside the cabin, along with other adult featured movies at no extra charge.

I normally travel solo, and wouldn't cruise Disney on my own, but seeing the joy and amazement in my grandchildrens eyes made it all worth while.

It really was a great product, if that's what you like. if not, there are lots of options out there.

How many nights long was this cruise?

I haven't. I've sailed HAL, CCL, RCCL, Princess, & NCL. What I don't like about Disney and what keeps me off them is pricing. And you'll notice I haven't said anything about cruising Disney other than their pricing which can be proven. What I was responding to was another poster claiming how Disney had this and that that wasn't available elsewhere or how CC was so much better than everything else out there while having never been hardly anywhere else. And yes, I am a firm believer that before making decisions on whether something is good or bad you actually try it first. Kind of like when you mom would tell you to eat your vegetables because you might like some of them and you probably found out you did. Try the same logic with cruising......try it before you gush or complain about it.

Well, along the same line of thinking, you can't say CC ISN'T better, because you've never been there either.

You should try it. The beach areas are amazing, always available lounges, adult only area, 2 family beaches, separate kids play zone, Pelican Plunge, trolley transportation from ship to the 3 different beaches, 2 barbq joints...I think CC alone makes a DCL cruise worth it. Of course I live in South Florida so don't need to purchase separate airfare, and I also do last minute cruises to take advantage of FL resident discount. So for me, it's worth it.

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

Don't know what line you are sailing but HAL, RCCL, CCL, Princess, and NCL all have theater shows. Can't think of one major line, much less many, that don't have shows.

Again, for dining, NCL is nothing but anytime. CCL & RCCL both have anytime dining.

Coco Cay is an island. HMC is an island. Great Stirrup Cay and Harvest key are islands. Princess Cay is an island (the cruise line just doesn't own all of the island).

As for whether you think Carnival's buffet is good or not, how about actually trying it before making a decision on it. I have (9 times) and I like it.

I am refuting the person who I quoted who stated "Here's what DCL offers that other cruise lines don't:" which is blatantly false. Whether Disney does these things better or not is subjective and neither your view nor my view is factual in basis.

Windstar has six ships, and is my favorite line. No theater shows. I would rather have enrichment opportunities to learn about the world than sit around watching mediocre entertainment which I can get as good if not better at home. Paul Gauguin, National Geographic/Lindblad, Hurtigruten, Ponant, off the top of my head don't offer shows--instead they make the world the show. Who wants to be sitting in a theater when they can be on deck watching the Aurora Borealis or the sparkling night of the Balkan coastline? I'll take the real show any day.

Viking can hardly be called a small company with 64 ships, and I believe they only have production shows on one of them. Perhaps you should stop making statements about ALL ships when clearly you haven't done your homework. The world doesn't revolve around big ships disgorging their herds into the Caribbean every day.

I will never try Carnivals buffet as I will never cruise on a big ship again--unless I am on Disney due to having children in tow. The largest ship otherwise I ever expect to cruise on is a Regent ship for a transPacific in 10-15 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The other reason, I am not doing a Disney Cruise, and will most likely never do one, is their rules for the rooms. My husband does not like to cruise, so it's me and the 3 kids, and on Disney, unlike other lines, they will NOT allow me to book 2 rooms with one adult. I can still get 2 balconies on CCL, NCL,or RCI for much less than one stateroom on DCL. We like the extra room, 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs, etc.

I had originally been looking at a Disney cruise and after pricing out 2 balconies on other lines and realizing DCL wouldn't allow it anyway, it was an easy decision. We like the 2 cabins for 4 people, and now that we have done it that way, I don't see us going back

Obviously many look at pricing as to what constitutes a good cruise. I prefer to look at value. I would rather not have to pay extra for alcohol, specialty dining, a strip steak for dinner if I choose, specialty coffees, soda both from the bar and in cans refreshed daily in the minibar (which I don't drink but mentioning for a true comparison), Frette linens, slippers and robes in the cabin regardless of cabin type or loyalty status, L'Occitane toiletries including shampoo and conditioner, bar soap and shower gel, vanity kit including mending kit/Emory board/ Q-Tips and cotton balls replenished daily, a pillow menu, and small ports where the big ships simply can't go. I would rather have evening talks with an expert on local history, geography, culture, wildlife, or architecture than a show. I would rather have a ship where there is never a problem finding a lounger at the pool, a private nook on deck, an open bridge, and low enough light in the evening to stargaze and see constellations I haven't seen before--often with a friendly crew member stopping by to point things out. I love never waiting in line for anything, and always being able to find a great seat in the lounge. I would take all of that for $3000 for a week in an ocean view cabin over $1500 for a balcony, because I look at VALUE, and there is far more value in the more expensive cruise over and above the bottom line cost.

I have tried big ships (as many as 4000 passengers) and small (302 maximum passengers) so I can make the comparison. Unfortunately I think maybe only one or two on this thread have ever cruised in a ship that holds under 1500 people, so they are not able to make a valid comparison on the VALUE of a small ship. They can only compare the bottom line. That is cutting off a nose to spite a face. Those who haven't cruised Disney also can't make a determination on value, because they haven't been in the line, and base their comparison ONLY on cost. That to me is a sad way of looking at life.

Photos and reviews never do a location justice. Actually going there will tell you whether it's a good place for you or not.

When we were at Labadee, it sucked. Flies all over the place, very crowded, no place to get out of the sun, extra cost for anything except laying on the beach, and the machine gun toting guards made it unnerving to even be there. We took a private excursion to a different beach then came back, walked around for a few minutes, and went back to the ship.

Night and day with Castaway Cay. Better yet, Motu Mahana, which is Paul Gauguin's private Motu, and blows away any Caribbean beach or island. You should take your own advice and go there sometime.

My husband and I, along with another couple, snagged a fantastic VGT (Guarantee Verandah with Restrictions) rate on the Disney Dream a couple years ago. I've cruised mostly Carnival but also RCI and NCL. I must say I was blown away by Disney. I am an average middle-class person and to me, Disney felt like a premium cruise line. The entire feel was very different from the rest, from the service to the food to the rotational dining to the Broadway-quality shows. And Castsway Cay, Disney's private island, was the most beautiful island I've ever visited.

I truly enjoy Carnival and find them to provide a great value. However, as much as I've been trying to convince myself Carnival is a better value than Disney, I truly believe it's subjective. I find myself gravitating to the DCL site trying to find reasonable rates for my family of 6. I would like our 4 children (ages 10-15) to experience DCL just once. They love Carnival and my husband and I love Carnival and I think we'll have many CCL cruises ahead. But I am in the camp right now that believes one Disney cruise for my family will be worth the splurge. Please, no judgment. It's a personal decision based on having experienced both cruise lines.

Obviously many look at pricing as to what constitutes a good cruise. I prefer to look at value.

I do not base my decision solely on cost. Low cost doesn't mean something is automatically good. I make a value decision. If what is offered is what I want, and the price is agreeable, that's a good value for me. It's my preference to cruise more often at a lower price, because to me the additional costs for premium products quickly hit diminishing returns. But I also have a young family and so I don't place as much personal value on luxury items. Could that change in 10 or 20 years? Possibly. When I have the time and funds to "travel" versus just taking 3-10 day vacation getaways I'll likely employ a different value system as to what is important.

Everyone has a different personal value system as to what is important. Please don't mistake those who are price conscious with not being able to look at value.

Edited by LMaxwell

Well, along the same line of thinking, you can't say CC ISN'T better, because you've never been there either.

You should try it. The beach areas are amazing, always available lounges, adult only area, 2 family beaches, separate kids play zone, Pelican Plunge, trolley transportation from ship to the 3 different beaches, 2 barbq joints...I think CC alone makes a DCL cruise worth it. Of course I live in South Florida so don't need to purchase separate airfare, and I also do last minute cruises to take advantage of FL resident discount. So for me, it's worth it.

I never stated that any island was better or worse than the other. CC may be better but since I haven't experienced it, I can't say. Just as you can't say CC is better because you haven't experienced anything else either. That's my issue. I can only give opinions on what I have actually experienced and even then, it's only my experience.

Wouldn't mind going to CC but not willing to pay the ridiculous prices that Disney wants to sail there. Now, if you're offering to pay, I'm more than ready to go. :D

I also live in Florida so no airfare is needed for any cruise. While Disney may be worth it for you, I'd rather take 3 Carnival cruises instead. Not to mention having fewer kids around.

Edited by Computer Nerd

I mainly cruise Carnival and just feel more comfortable on my cruise. I did take my granddaughters on a Disney cruise when I found a great rate. We left the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a Christmas cruise on the Disney Fantasy. I can honestly say it met all of our expectations and we would all do it again. I don't think you find any great rates in the Spring on Disney but the shoulder seasons seem to have them. The one complaint we had was that they put everyone together that is 3-12 and it did seem to overwhelm my 3 year old granddaughter but it was also nice that she was able to be with the older kids who were 6 and 7. I think it is important to go to the club with the child when they let the adults in to show them what they can do and make them feel more comfortable since it is large area with different smaller areas. I also loved the fact the kids club counselors came to the dining room and took them to kids club before dinner was over. The wait staff made sure they had their food and were finished before the adults. The kids couldn't wait to go to kids club instead of sitting through a whole dinner.

Windstar has six ships, and is my favorite line. No theater shows. I would rather have enrichment opportunities to learn about the world than sit around watching mediocre entertainment which I can get as good if not better at home. Paul Gauguin, National Geographic/Lindblad, Hurtigruten, Ponant, off the top of my head don't offer shows--instead they make the world the show. Who wants to be sitting in a theater when they can be on deck watching the Aurora Borealis or the sparkling night of the Balkan coastline? I'll take the real show any day.

Viking can hardly be called a small company with 64 ships, and I believe they only have production shows on one of them. Perhaps you should stop making statements about ALL ships when clearly you haven't done your homework. The world doesn't revolve around big ships disgorging their herds into the Caribbean every day.

I will never try Carnivals buffet as I will never cruise on a big ship again--unless I am on Disney due to having children in tow. The largest ship otherwise I ever expect to cruise on is a Regent ship for a transPacific in 10-15 years.

Perhaps you should try comprehending my words instead of reading two of them and then flying off the handle. I never stated ALL, I stated most MAJOR lines have shows (actually I could probably say ALL MAJOR lines that serve America have shows).

All of the lines you have mentioned are piddle lines and the Oasis of the Seas probably has more beds on that one ship than most of the lines you mentioned have in their entire fleet. Hardly a major line no matter how many piddle ships they have in them.

You want enrichment opportunities, go for it. Most cruisers do not feel that same way.

You may be right. The world may not revolve around big ships in the Caribbean but the money does.

You don't want to try Carnival, that's fine. I don't want to waste money on Regent. But down turn your nose down at an experience or bad mouth a line you've never even tried.

I've cruised carnival 4 times and Disney once. I can probably bet I will never sail Disney again. Not because of a bad experience but because I personally feel the price isn't worth is. My kinds liked seeing the characters but honestly would have been just as happy without. And the lines to see the characters were ridiculous! Waiting hours, even WITH tickets. The food was subpar. I feel carnivals food is much better. Both had excellent staff and customer service. One benefit to Disney is the child care options. Longer hours available than on Carnival so that was a nice benefit for my husband and I. But to me, overall, not worth triple the price.

Obviously many look at pricing as to what constitutes a good cruise. I prefer to look at value. I would rather not have to pay extra for alcohol, specialty dining, a strip steak for dinner if I choose, specialty coffees, soda both from the bar and in cans refreshed daily in the minibar (which I don't drink but mentioning for a true comparison), Frette linens, slippers and robes in the cabin regardless of cabin type or loyalty status, L'Occitane toiletries including shampoo and conditioner, bar soap and shower gel, vanity kit including mending kit/Emory board/ Q-Tips and cotton balls replenished daily, a pillow menu, and small ports where the big ships simply can't go. I would rather have evening talks with an expert on local history, geography, culture, wildlife, or architecture than a show. I would rather have a ship where there is never a problem finding a lounger at the pool, a private nook on deck, an open bridge, and low enough light in the evening to stargaze and see constellations I haven't seen before--often with a friendly crew member stopping by to point things out. I love never waiting in line for anything, and always being able to find a great seat in the lounge. I would take all of that for $3000 for a week in an ocean view cabin over $1500 for a balcony, because I look at VALUE, and there is far more value in the more expensive cruise over and above the bottom line cost.

I have tried big ships (as many as 4000 passengers) and small (302 maximum passengers) so I can make the comparison. Unfortunately I think maybe only one or two on this thread have ever cruised in a ship that holds under 1500 people, so they are not able to make a valid comparison on the VALUE of a small ship. They can only compare the bottom line. That is cutting off a nose to spite a face. Those who haven't cruised Disney also can't make a determination on value, because they haven't been in the line, and base their comparison ONLY on cost. That to me is a sad way of looking at life.

To have value, the items you mention have to matter to the person making the purchase. What holds value to you may not matter in the least to the next person and therefore holds no value.

Actually, yes, people can determine value without having to purchase the product. People do that all day long, every day, every time they open their wallet. Cruise lines are no different. I can read factual information on the cruise's website, see what I get for the money being spent, and determine it's value. To me, Disney or any of the other fancy lines hold little value for the money being spent.

Perhaps you should try comprehending my words instead of reading two of them and then flying off the handle. I never stated ALL, I stated most MAJOR lines have shows (actually I could probably say ALL MAJOR lines that serve America have shows).

All of the lines you have mentioned are piddle lines and the Oasis of the Seas probably has more beds on that one ship than most of the lines you mentioned have in their entire fleet. Hardly a major line no matter how many piddle ships they have in them.

You want enrichment opportunities, go for it. Most cruisers do not feel that same way.

You may be right. The world may not revolve around big ships in the Caribbean but the money does.

You don't want to try Carnival, that's fine. I don't want to waste money on Regent. But down turn your nose down at an experience or bad mouth a line you've never even tried.

Somehow I don't think Viking having 46 ships makes it a piddle line.

There are a number of large Euro based cruise lines who have a lot of ships which never see the Caribbean. Your provincial mindset is staggering. Get off the sandbar and see the world, then you will probably regret most of your comments.

By the way, I live in Florida as well, and don't understand the allure of the typical Caribbean cruise unless you only vacation to eat and drink yourself into a stupor while watching belly flop contests poolside all day. Why pay for what is in your own backyard?

When we were at Labadee, it sucked. Flies all over the place, very crowded, no place to get out of the sun, extra cost for anything except laying on the beach, and the machine gun toting guards made it unnerving to even be there. We took a private excursion to a different beach then came back, walked around for a few minutes, and went back to the ship.

Night and day with Castaway Cay. Better yet, Motu Mahana, which is Paul Gauguin's private Motu, and blows away any Caribbean beach or island. You should take your own advice and go there sometime.

You have misinterpreted my advice. My advice was "Don't try and say something is better than something else if you've never experienced the something else first" and that advice holds true. I have never given an opinion on Castaway Cay or Motu as I have never, nor ever plan to go there and IMO (since that's the only opinion my wallet cares about) there is no way those 8 hour stops could justify the additional costs of the cruise line that takes you there.

You have misinterpreted my advice. My advice was "Don't try and say something is better than something else if you've never experienced the something else first" and that advice holds true. I have never given an opinion on Castaway Cay or Motu as I have never, nor ever plan to go there and IMO (since that's the only opinion my wallet cares about) there is no way those 8 hour stops could justify the additional costs of the cruise line that takes you there.

Your loss. Get out and see the world, you might find it's actually a lot more fun than the same boring ports over and over.

So how can you state this if you've never cruised Disney?

Because it is fine for him to tell people they can't have an opinion if they have never sailed or experienced a particular ship or line, but when the shoe is in the other foot, it doesn't apply to him.