Riviera deck; how is it?

LMaxwell

Wants - Affordable, less movement, dark, QUIET. Chose a Riviera deck interior for both my next cruises. Anything to watch out for on Riviera deck? Sometimes hard to tell what machinery/spaces are beneath them.

The cruises are 4 and 3 days (not B2B) so a window or balcony just is not important for me.

We had no issues in a cabin in the forward of the deck 1. If you are going up to lido or a higher deck, you may be waiting a while for an elevator (only downside I can think off in case that matters). We walked a few times up to lido for example to avoid the wait.

Is there any way to tell which of the 1A porthole rooms has a king bed; or two twins next to each other? Basically just the 1A's that are not a single upper and lower. I'd book one of these rooms if I was assured of not having bunk beds.

Is there any way to tell which of the 1A porthole rooms has a king bed; or two twins next to each other? Basically just the 1A's that are not a single upper and lower. I'd book one of these rooms if I was assured of not having bunk beds.

I don't know about the Victory, but none of the 1A Portholes on Conquest Class ships that I know of have 2 beds (which push together to form a King). Only the 1A insides 6393, 7345, and 8357. My mom had 2217 on Glory and it was one bed and a sofa. It was a 1A with Portholes.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I had a Riviera room on Freedom very forward. It was very loud when pulling into port early in the morning. Nothing unbearable though. Otherwise it was fine & easy for port days.

We also just had a Riviera room on the Splendor about midship. No complaints whatsoever. Nice & quiet & easy to get on & off at ports.

The 1A's all the way forward on Deck 1 & Deck 2 (Rivera & Main) are not bunk beds. Exception is 1212 & 1211. We stayed in 2216 on the Breeze and it was perfect! You get two twin beds (one actual twin bed and the other is the sofa, which is comfortable BTW). These cabins are great and the price makes it better. I would book these if you want a little view when you wake up. None have a king bed which we don't need, but only concerns in these rooms are motion. We don't get seasick, but some do. Midship rooms are known to be less rocky.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the Paradise. My family had Riviera deck outer rooms with windows R93 and R131. It was quiet and we noticed minimal movement. I would have no qualms about staying on this deck again. Biggest disadvantage was being last off the ship!

Why were you last off the ship?

Why were you last off the ship?

because of the zone number system they use for disembarkation at the end of the cruise. my zone number is usually somewhere between 30 and 35 which is the last zone number to be called for disembarkation.

We chose one of those unassigned cabin deals once and wound up on Riviera deck. Noisier, strange sewage like smell in the hallways, and our neighbors yelled at each other a lot. Steward did not seem as happy as on other decks, but could be because one neighbor would quite often yell "Jose!" down the hall at him to get service, even though his name was not Jose. Never again for us. We like to find a deck that is just one floor from Promenade and/or MDR.

We chose one of those unassigned cabin deals once and wound up on Riviera deck. Noisier, strange sewage like smell in the hallways, and our neighbors yelled at each other a lot. Steward did not seem as happy as on other decks, but could be because one neighbor would quite often yell "Jose!" down the hall at him to get service, even though his name was not Jose. Never again for us. We like to find a deck that is just one floor from Promenade and/or MDR.

What does having noisy neighbors have to do with the deck? That can happen anywhere. But I also prefer to be beneath the Lido, near the aft stairwell.

because of the zone number system they use for disembarkation at the end of the cruise. my zone number is usually somewhere between 30 and 35 which is the last zone number to be called for disembarkation.

Ok. That's why I always get FTTF until I reach Platinum I don't have to worry about it.

What does having noisy neighbors have to do with the deck? That can happen anywhere. But I also prefer to be beneath the Lido, near the aft stairwell.

I am sharing my experience and after seven cruises, we've never had noisy neighbors on any other cruise but our one time on Riviera deck we had multiple noisy neighbors - and when I say "noisy" I am being kind in my choice of words. That has been our experience, although I see from others' we are in the minority. :)

Another way to say it would be that we have been unhappy with our cabin 100% of the time we have been on Riviera, but happy 100% of the time we have been on any other deck.

I am sharing my experience and after seven cruises, we've never had noisy neighbors on any other cruise but our one time on Riviera deck we had multiple noisy neighbors - and when I say "noisy" I am being kind in my choice of words. That has been our experience, although I see from others' we are in the minority. :)

Another way to say it would be that we have been unhappy with our cabin 100% of the time we have been on Riviera, but happy 100% of the time we have been on any other deck.

Fair enough to me.

I stayed on Main last year, but in an OV I knew was under guest services desk so not too much noise; a little bit from the musician in the atrium. My interior choices on Main put me either under the theater, or under the dining room. I wasn't too keen on either of those locations for mitigating sound.

I figured Riviera deck at least I have cabins above me, but never can tell what is below me. Midship seemed "safe" in terms of trying to guess what machinery is below.

I have had worse neighbors in Balcony cabins on Carnival than on Deck 1 or 2. So much so that I gave up booking them and prefer insides or OVs on the lower decks. However I am making an exception on the Vista only because it's a Havana Aft Balcony and I really wanted to use the Havana facilities during the day. But when we originally booked, we had an OV on Deck 1. Only about a month ago did the Havana cabin become available as someone must have canceled. Otherwise, I was perfectly happy to stay in my original cabin that I purposefully chose on Deck 1.

As far as Room Stewards, I have never had a bad one.