Little Havana & More; Our Vista Cruise

Rosethorn40

Thanks for your informative review! I will be on the Vista on March so am getting really excited and reading all the reviews I can!

I always buy the thermal suite pass on board (I don't recall it ever being available ahead of time online in the past) but it seems that buying it ahead of time gives you a little discount? This time I'll just be buying it for myself as my niece isn't old enough yet. $109 for 6 days sounds like a pretty good price!

Do buy it ahead of time, as it will save you some money. If you sign on to the Carnival web site, and go under manage my cruise, look under the spa options. For us I had to go to page 8 (The last page). I saw it listed only as a couple's pass months ahead of time, then it disappeared for a while, came back as a couple's pass, and finally, about a week before we sailed I saw single passes available.

Have a great cruise!

Hi there,

I'm enjoying your review. I'll be on the vista in a week or so. Can you tell me what's in the Bali sunset? I also wonder if the havanna bar has a drink menu of items not normally served at the other bars. Thanks

Yes they do. I tried a Cuban Ice Team (Long island tea, only a bigger focus on rum).

There was one more area of the ship I particularly liked, and that was the library. There is a bar there, but I never saw it*opened. What I did like about it was the two chess tables set up for playing. My husband is very good. Me, not so much, but I gamely played several games with my him, losing every single time (But I did get a few "That was a surprisingly good move" or "Now you're annoying me"). Fortunately there were some decent chess players on board, and my husband did manage a few games with worthy competitors.*He still won, but at least they gave him a run. I was gratified by the number of young people I saw playing chess as well. They also had tables for board games and cards, and I saw a number of families taking advantage of the facility.

Outside of the library, on the lanai (Deck 5) there were some nice padded loungers, perfect for reading a book.

The lanai area had several nice areas for relaxing, and looking upon sea views, including one for smokers, and the other side, smoker free.

My favorite place to get a drink was the Rum Bar on deck 11, by the main pool. My favorite drink from there was the Beachcomber. Very potent.

Husband like the Stout in the Red Frog Pub.

IMG_3994_zpsomgqcfza.jpg

IMG_3993_zpsanbkyfee.jpg

IMG_4031_zpsk4qjcs0k.jpg

IMG_4032_zpsu6zclpse.jpg

IMG_4151_zpsw5az4atk.jpg

On our last day we went to Cherry on Top, as I wanted to get my husband a birthday sundae. It was very busy (About 4:30 pm). I guess people needed their candy fix. The line moved very slowly, but finally we got our sundaes. They were $2.50 for a small, or $3.50 for a large. Fee free softserve was available on the lido.

I was a little disappointed that while we got a special dessert on our anniversary, There was no recognition of any kind (Special dessert, a note, nada) for husband's 60th birthday, and this was the main purpose of the trip.

Next up: Final thoughts and Wrapping Up

IMG_4159_zpsgidtfikk.jpg

IMG_4155_zpsszaefzfs.jpg

IMG_4154_zpsy1gxngsx.jpg

We didn't go to any shows, or the Piano Bar (Always meant to, but we are getting old, and seem to turn into pumpkins by 9:00 PM).

I didn't think the elevators were as bad as some have stated. Yes, its true that when you pushed a button an open, empty elevator didn't immediately appear, but we never had that long of a wait. Compare that to the Royal Princess in which you may have to wait for several elevators to come to the deck you were on before you could actually get on one, and then they stopped at Every.Single.Deck.

Overall I thought the service was good. Were there a few times I thought it could be better? Probably, but again, one needs perspective. If you worked 7 days a week, 12+ hours a day, would you be "on" for every single minute. If you are truthful the answer would be no. Five years from now I won't remember the service, heck, I'll be so old by then I probably won't remember anything.

So, did I like the Vista? Short answer is yes, I thought it* a beautiful ship, with lots of options for activities and food, in fact so many, there were parts of the ship we never saw (Like deck 4). Would I sail on her again? Probably, but only if we had a Havana cabin on deck 5. I would also try to pick a week without so many kids. Was this my all-time favorite cruise? No, but it was far from my least favorite cruise either.

That's it, all I have to say (At least for this year). Happy sailings and a Happy New Year to all.

IMG_4145_zpsdftbd7oe.jpg

I was a little disappointed that while we got a special dessert on our anniversary, There was no recognition of any kind (Special dessert, a note, nada) for husband's 60th birthday, and this was the main purpose of the trip.]

did you tell your waiters? they would have bought out a candle in his dessert

NEVER ever leave it up to others to just know its a special occasion just because you put it on the booking. Most people will not even see your booking

Thanks for your review!

Do you know if you can go to JiJi's and grab a drink at the bar? I don't know that I'll make it there for dinner, but I'm intrigued about this Bali Sunset....

I didn't see a bar because we were seated so close to the entrance, but it must have been near by because the drinks came fast. I would guess the rum bar could fix it as well.

did you tell your waiters? they would have bought out a candle in his dessert

NEVER ever leave it up to others to just know its a special occasion just because you put it on the booking. Most people will not even see your booking

It was the night we did the Chef's Table and it was in the notes because the maître 'd commented on it when I confirmed our reservation. Its not a big deal (Didn't ruin my cruise or anything), but I've never had to say anything before (Carnival or other lines) when celebrating a special occasion at sea, and they did give us a special dessert on our anniversary without us saying anything.

We were on the Magic and with you in port in San Juan and Grand Turk (even though we were supposed to have the beach to our self that day! Grrrr. ;) Kidding. Mostly. :P )

Thanks for your review. I'm surprised they didn't do anything. My brother in law was on the Glory in 2015 for his birthday and we boarded the literal day after his birthday this time. Both times he has a card, a card for a $50 discount on a spa treatment, and a $10 gift card to Pixels (2016) or Cherry on Top (2015).

The reviews of the Vista have calmed my urge to try her out as soon as possible. We had a great cruise on the Magic, and I'm quite happy to stick with Dream or Spirit class at this point. :D