Grand Princess

Traveler1010

Hi All- I am looking at a 10-day Alaska tour from San Francisco on the Grand Princess. Reviews of the ship are mixed- especially about the condition of the ship. How is it- just dated or in rough shape? Big updates expected in dry dock? Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All- I am looking at a 10-day Alaska tour from San Francisco on the Grand Princess.

We're booked on the June 7th sailing out of SF this summer. We were on the Star on the same itinerary in 2014.

We've never been on the Grand, but have heard similar tales. I'm not really worried about it. I'm sure it will be fun. No ship is perfect and they all age; some more gracefully than others. :)

Hi All- I am looking at a 10-day Alaska tour from San Francisco on the Grand Princess. Reviews of the ship are mixed- especially about the condition of the ship. How is it- just dated or in rough shape? Big updates expected in dry dock? Thank you in advance!

She just came out of drydock a few days ago and will have some cosmetic improvements such as carpeting in some areas, etc, but no major alterations to the interior. The main reason for this drydock was required inspection and maintenance to the operational aspect of the ship, such as engines, hull, props, etc.

Don't expect anything dramatic, other than the new hull art.

We'll be on her in June and really looking forward to it.

d080095c62776015bc872f7a31553906.jpg

8027cd7149bfa535e3754fc9b00d82a6.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

Thank you knickearth. Are kids allowed in the covered pool during Alaska trips?

I believe they are. It is the "aft pool" and the "spa pool" that is often adults only.

Edited by Coral

I took the first cruise on the Grand back in l998, was a 12 mediterranean, from Istanbul to Barcelona... started crusing the Grand again, when it was first home ported in San Francisco.

We have done a 7 day California Coast, 1 10 day Mexican Riveria -- the New Years cruise last year... booked again to leave this coming Friday for another 10 day New Years cruises.

My opinion the negative reviews on the Grand and complaints are over blown.

We always book a mini suit forward and are very happy with the cabin... we have found food, service and entertaiment very good on the Grand.

We cruise HAL, Cunard, Celebrity and Princess... so we have a lot of cruises and ship to compare it to. We are booked on the Royal for next October out of Barcelona, will book the Grand again for Jan 2, 2018 while on board.

My advice is avoid the back area of the ship, relative to cabin selection, since this is the area where they had to change when the original disco super structure was too heavy and there are areas where they have some linking at time in that area.

I have read some of those reviews too, but, we are booked for early September 2017 to Alaska..:)

DH wanted a corner aft balcony, so that's what we got.---Aloha or Caribe---can't remember.

I thought I read that the Grand does not have a center staircase, so maybe the aft balcony wasn't such a good idea. :D :D

I think everything is subjective. I was annoyed with the Ruby, but MANY people love her.

I think things will be fine. BTW~~~the new bedding is wonderful.

Patti/SIZE]

No problem with her in my opinion....as you can see we sail on her most of the time.

Always seem to have great staff, and we appreciate Princess having a ship in SF.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Hello Traveler,

I know I am a bit late to the question, but let me echo those who have suggested that you ought not hesitate in sailing the Grand. We were on her last January and the ship was in good shape. If one wants to look for some peeling paint and surface rust, one will find it; as they would on any but a new ship. We liked her enough to have booked Hawaii in February.

I'm sailing on her now. All new decor in Sabatinis, the Ice cream bar has also been updated. All the shops have had a total re-model. New bedding and lots of new carpet. Brand new tenders, hand was stations in the Lido buffett.

Still some signs of wear if you really look but nothing that really stands out. Still some minor water drips around the ship ocassionally.

Overall i think the Grand is fine. Current Cruise Director Dan is a hoot, be sure and catch the R rated Liars club if you can

I'm sailing on her now. All new decor in Sabatinis, the Ice cream bar has also been updated. All the shops have had a total re-model. New bedding and lots of new carpet. Brand new tenders, hand was stations in the Lido buffett.

Still some signs of wear if you really look but nothing that really stands out. Still some minor water drips around the ship ocassionally.

Overall i think the Grand is fine. Current Cruise Director Dan is a hoot, be sure and catch the R rated Liars club if you can

Any changes with the furniture in the hallway outside of the Explorers Lounge, Sabatini's, Wheelhouse on Deck 7? I always found it to be pretty ratty and the cushions sagging. It's an area I always thought truly needed some sprucing up.