Mini Bar Charges Post Cruise

Just off Indy yesterday.

I was also charged the 12.37 for the minibar. I left the two bottles of Evian in the same place they left them.

I had checked my statement before I got off the ship and it wasn't on there.

It showed up on the .PDF statement I was automatically emailed.

I'll be calling now.

I don't think it's specific to Anthem.

Our printout when we disembarked Harmony was correct. We then received an email with a PDF attached, and that showed a Mini Bar charge of $10.68. No idea what it was for, as our refrigerator was empty upon boarding. We put our own bottles of water (not Evian) and cans of soda (that we got with our Diamond benefit) into the refrigerator, and drank those during the trip. We actually left a few sodas and waters when we disembarked, so they should have been paying us rather than the other way around ;-)

This $12.37 seems to be a regular occurrence on Anthem since at least September when they first did away with the mini-bar crap. Four months later Royal has to know it's an issue by now with all the call in complaints for credit - yet they still haven't done anything to resolve it.

This $12.37 seems to be a regular occurrence on Anthem since at least September when they first did away with the mini-bar crap. Four months later Royal has to know it's an issue by now with all the call in complaints for credit - yet they still haven't done anything to resolve it.

Why would they? Not everyone checks their credit card statements in detail. They are probably getting away with stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars weekly.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Forums mobile app

Agree. Resolving not to happen again, AND for those who missed the error and have not complained.

I don't think it's specific to Anthem.

Our printout when we disembarked Harmony was correct. We then received an email with a PDF attached, and that showed a Mini Bar charge of $10.68. No idea what it was for, as our refrigerator was empty upon boarding. We put our own bottles of water (not Evian) and cans of soda (that we got with our Diamond benefit) into the refrigerator, and drank those during the trip. We actually left a few sodas and waters when we disembarked, so they should have been paying us rather than the other way around ;-)

Agree, we were on Splendor of the Seas last November and the same thing happened to us. We are going on Anthem the end of February and will only do a cash account that we empty at the end of the cruise.

We are on HOTS in Oct. Hopefully the practice will be stopped by then. Instead of complaining to Royal the FL Attorney General should be notified every time it happens. If you do the math it not a small amount. Figure 5000 x12 =60000 per cruise 50 cruises a year 300000 that just one ship. if it is happening fleet wide could easily go over a million. Figure 10% catch it that still 900000 in profit stolen from guest

Sent from my SM-T817T using Forums mobile app

Was on Anthem pre Christmas, check bill on TV last night, balance was correct, next morning a $70 plus charge applied by the LA, lady on phone said charge would be removed before we dissembarked, and a new bill put outside door, did not happen so as we disembarked, I went to GS to get this corrected, only 1 person working the GS area and had no clue what I was taking about, anyway the charge was for a free galley tour as we are diamond plus C/A members. I just had husband check his CC bill to see if we had any others added. So far nothing, but as soon as I find the final print out I will double check it. Just a word about Anthem, make sure to get all problems addressed before you get off ship, which will mean hours waiting in line at GS not the way you want to spend your Cruise Vacation. So many issues that should not have been issues on this ship. So many workers that said it was not their job to correct problem, missing ordered food, you have to ask juice guy or water guy, for drink. I love Royal, but did not love this cruise experience. Room layouts a great improvement, beds are still hard even when new. Cabin attendant was quick to solve the hard bed issue and hard pillows as well. Enjoy your cruise. It is very crowded on deck 4 and 5 especially when they have the sales tables out which competes at holiday time with Gingerbread display and Christmas tree for space. Going on Navigator in a few weeks so looking forward to it.

We sailed on the Anthem on the 9th of Dec. So far on our roll call 12 cruisers have posted they had an extra charge of either $6.19 or $12.37 added to their bill after they got off the ship. They called Royal and were told it was for the water bottles in the room. Had NOT drank the water..... I know 12 does not seem like all that many... but if you stop and think that not nearly everyone reads CC. Say we had 250 on our roll call (and I don't believe based on the turn out it was anywhere near that), that would be 5 percent of us... now rounding of course... the ship holds 4 K plus, 5% of that is 200 cruises... times say the lower amount of $6.19, that is an extra K in Royal's pocket... ummmmm. I bet most folks don't look at their bill after they get off. FYI

They should be ashamed.

,,,I just stumbled upon this thread today. We are planning to cruise on the Anthem this March.

Last year DH and I were on the infamous Feb 6 sailing that ran into the storm. Our vacation was cut short (disappointment) but RCL reimbursed us for the cruise and expenses. We thought that was fair.

About a week later, my husband was contacted by AMEX about an attempted fraudulent charge in NYC (we live in NJ).

Since we never went to a port during the cruise and we had no need to use our AMEX on the ship itself, we assumed my husband's AMEX was "copied" by one of those credit card reading machines when we were embarking/disembarking at the Cape Liberty Cruise Port.

We have an ID monitoring system on ourselves and purchased some RFID protective sleeves for the documentation we use on vacation.

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if there is chicanery on the Anthem and it's touted "advanced technology". Could it be their original "advanced technology" crashed and burned so badly in the beginning it exposed a weakness in their system?

Perhaps RCL doesn't have an effective "firewall" to protect its systems.

The unscrupulous find ways to work the system to their advantage.

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if there is chicanery on the Anthem and it's touted "advanced technology". Could it be their original "advanced technology" crashed and burned so badly in the beginning it exposed a weakness in their system?

No need to look for nefarious reasons behind any improper charge when simple incompetence will do.

This was happening to me three years ago on Explorer of the Seas so this isn't anything new although it does seem to be happening more frequently now. I changed the title of the thread so more people can post their experiences.

this has happened so much now to us that we sail with a cash account.

I have never looked at this option. Reading it up I see we can just put money in it and when it runs out we put more in. But what if there is cash left over - do we take it back out on the day of disembark? or the night before?

And they are not able to charge this fraudulent amount to a cash account?

Glad I set up a cash account and now not feeling so guilty about emptying the mini bar on the last morning.

Could you explain how the cash account works? Is there still a credit card on file and then you pay it off in cash on the last day?

• 2 weeks later...

Departed Freedom of the Seas on Sunday. Checked my credit card on Monday and sure enough a charge of $16.64 Canadian was charged to my card. No explanation just a reference number. I am not amused. Will do the phone call tomorrow. This is a real turn off after a lovely vacation.

Departed Freedom of the Seas on Sunday. Checked my credit card on Monday and sure enough a charge of $16.64 Canadian was charged to my card. No explanation just a reference number. I am not amused. Will do the phone call tomorrow. This is a real turn off after a lovely vacation.

If it happens to us in Oct I will turn it over to Law Enforcement along with the picture I take before I leave our cabin. I will also turn over copies of this thread. Apparently the Fl Department of Consumer Affairs needs to get involved

Is this a ploy from Royal to get more revenue from telephone charges?

In the UK my phone company charges me 11 pence a minute to call Royal and Royal also charges me 7 pence a minute to receive the call. A 30 minute call cost to them cost £5.40 or $6.75.

So do i ring for $6? Win win win Royal a big rip off

Edited by cas21

Just got off the Freedom on Sunday and I have the exact same erroneous charge on my credit card bill - $12.27 for bottles of water I didn't drink. Sure does feel like a scam. Does anyone know if you can use the contact email link on the RCCL website to ask them to remove the charge, or do you have to call them (and potentially sit on hold for hours)?

Is this a ploy from Royal to get more revenue from telephone charges?

In the UK my phone company charges me 11 pence a minute to call Royal and Royal also charges me 7 pence a minute to receive the call. A 30 minute call cost to them cost £5.40 or $6.75.

So do i ring for $6? Win win win Royal a big rip off

How much does it cost to call the FL Attorney General

Sent from my SM-T817T using Forums mobile app