Eclipse- Chef's Market Discoveries- Help w/choice

tnfcruise

Our 14-nighter is coming up in March and I'm really interested in doing one of the Chef's Market Discoveries. The choices for this sailing are St Lucia $139pp or St Maarten $259pp. In reading the excursion descriptions, I understand the difference in price and experiences, but they each sound really great in their own way.

I'm looking for help and advice from you CC folks who have tried one (or both) of these. I only want to try one, and the friend who will be joining me is leaving the choice to me.

Tina

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did the Chef's Market Discovery in St. Maarten while on Eclipse in March. We really enjoyed it, good food both off and on the ship for dinner, but it was only $199 pp when we did it. I'm not sure that we would do it again at $259 pp.

Our original choice was St. Lucia but it was cancelled due to vendor issues. This month we wanted to do it in Jamaica and it too was cancelled due to vendor issues. It seems the more developed islands, are better equipped to handle this type of excursion.

We did the Chef's Market Discovery in St. Maarten while on Eclipse in March. We really enjoyed it, good food both off and on the ship for dinner, but it was only $199 pp when we did it. I'm not sure that we would do it again at $259 pp.

Our original choice was St. Lucia but it was cancelled due to vendor issues. This month we wanted to do it in Jamaica and it too was cancelled due to vendor issues. It seems the more developed islands, are better equipped to handle this type of excursion.

Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if there's something added to this sailing's St Maarten offering, compared to the one you had, or if Celebrity has just jacked up the cost. Guessing it's the latter.

Did you find out, prior to sailing, that St Lucia was cancelled? And, whenever it was cancelled, is that when you opted for St Maarten? How many ended up on the St Maarten Discovery?

I still hope to hear from other CCers, particularly St Lucia participants.

CHEZMARYLOU, I searched for other Chef's Market threads and found a number of your posts regarding the St Lucia cancellation and changing the booking prior to sailing. I'm going to sign up for St Maarten. If I hear positive remarks about St Lucia, I may do that one too, but I'll wait until I'm onboard and use up some of the many OBC $ I've got.

We found out about St. Lucia from the shore side concierge prior to our sailing and switched to St. Maarten before we sailed.

I looked at the current description for St. Maarten and it is the same. The only thing that might be different is the cooking demo in Phillipsburg at the fish market. Our demo and tasting there was ceviche. Ours did include wine at dinner even though descriptions state it did not. Maybe because they knew everyone had a beverage package they just poured wine.

We had 20 in our group, plus 2 chef's and a staff person from shore excursions, one of the biggest groups they have had. Dinner was split into 2 tables.

Our 14-nighter is coming up in March and I'm really interested in doing one of the Chef's Market Discoveries. The choices for this sailing are St Lucia $139pp or St Maarten $259pp. In reading the excursion descriptions, I understand the difference in price and experiences, but they each sound really great in their own way.

I'm looking for help and advice from you CC folks who have tried one (or both) of these. I only want to try one, and the friend who will be joining me is leaving the choice to me.

Tina

We did this once on Curacao. It was outstanding. We went to a local chef's house & cooked a complete meal. My spouse is a chef, so I'll leave it up to him to choose.

We found out about St. Lucia from the shore side concierge prior to our sailing and switched to St. Maarten before we sailed.

I looked at the current description for St. Maarten and it is the same. The only thing that might be different is the cooking demo in Phillipsburg at the fish market. Our demo and tasting there was ceviche. Ours did include wine at dinner even though descriptions state it did not. Maybe because they knew everyone had a beverage package they just poured wine.

We had 20 in our group, plus 2 chef's and a staff person from shore excursions, one of the biggest groups they have had. Dinner was split into 2 tables.

Thanks-- I really appreciate the additional information. We're definitely signing up, even though the increased price seems a bit excessive.

• 1 month later...

We are considering the Chef's Marketplace" tour in either Helsinki($239) or Berlin($329) but am hoping to gain confidence that this is worth the money. Any comments will be appreciated from those who have ever taken this tour on a Celebrity cruise.Thinking it has to be great considering the cost.

Tina

We're on board with you next month and are doing the Chef's Discovery on both St. Maarten and Barbados. Friends did the St. Maarten one in November and loved it. They had 9 people and dined in the wine room in Muranos. They had about 5 different wines with their dinner. Sounds good to us even at the increased price.

Have you heard about the Progressive dinner on board where you do a different course in different specialty restaurants? We're going to inquire about that when we get on board. They don't always do them, but if they get some interest, they will. In the past, it's been $99 pp. I'm going to post on our roll call to see if anyone else is interested.

Rose-Linda

• 3 weeks later...