Koningsdam - Large Interior Stateroom (I) for 3 adults ~ experience? photos?

Dogstar

Hi All,

Anybody have any experience or photos of the K'dam's "Large Interior (I)" stateroom 3-person configuration, please?

* 4104, 4115, 5108, 5125, 6112, 6127, 7097, 7104, 8092, 8109

They are marginally larger than the 2-person configuration due to the addition of a sofa(bed) but for the life of me I've been unsuccessful in finding either a confirmed layout diagram or photo.

Also, are we absolutely nuts in even considering trying one with 3 adults? Believe me, it's been a number of years & cruises since Mrs. Dogstar & I sailed in an Inside, & back then it was with a very very young Dogstar Jr., so I'm really struggling with the idea of an 11-day cruise without so much as a porthole to the outside world. The ol' saying "once you've sailed in a balcony stateroom ..." is so true, & having had the good fortune to also try out a Signature Suite (Nieuw Amsterdam) earlier this month it's a really tough concept to now wrap my head around an Inside stateroom.

But Mrs. Dogstar & SIL would like to vacation on the longer cruise itinerary next year (Southern Caribbean Wayfarer; 11 days) while saving stateroom $$$'s to put towards a Retreat Cabana instead ... so who am I to argue? If it makes them happy then I'm happy. [emoji6]

Any help, thoughts, input &/or condolences are sincerely appreciated.

Cheers. Dogstar.

Edited by Dogstar

Haven't seen photos of how these rooms are configured but you seem to understand what you are getting into. They all seem to be in a good location, all midship. If they really do have a sleeper sofa they can't be too much different in size from the insides of the older ships, no chairs or table though? Maybe the small table that can be either a coffee table or eating height?

Realize that you can use the shower and bathroom facilities of the spa, so you might want to consider a room up high near the deck with the spa for convenience. Also closer to your cabana.

It will work if you all want it to. We've had many inside rooms and have done just fine. Having the couch to sit on will help a lot. The regular insides on K'dam are really tight. Use the bow cam as your window to the world - on K'dam the screen is really big! Could even leave it on during the night, mute the sound, so you have the nightlight at night and the "daylight" when the sun comes up. I, on the other hand, use an eyeshade, even in an inside.....

Closet and drawer space? Are you all light packers? I hope so.

Happy planning, m--

I like your idea of saving money and using it towards a Cabana, we were able to secure a cabana on sea days on our Baltic Cruise and we Loved It. They have family corner spots that should give you all the sun and space you will need.

I did get to observe cabins 6112 and 6127 during our cruise. Was able to walk in as it had been vacated and ready for new pax. It's compact, good use of space but IMO it will be tight for three adults.

Across the hall there are two cabins that are interior and larger but are labeled handicap. Little different configuration of space.

They all seem to be in a good location, all midship ... Realize that you can use the shower and bathroom facilities of the spa, so you might want to consider a room up high near the deck with the spa for convenience. Also closer to your cabana ... Having the couch to sit on will help a lot ... Happy planning

I like your idea of saving money and using it towards a Cabana ... I did get to observe cabins 6112 and 6127 during our cruise ... It's compact, good use of space but IMO it will be tight for three adults.

RMLincoln & ZSandy25, thank you. Definitely sounds promising that we can make it work in conjunction with a cabana, plus using the spa shower/bathroom facilities if needed.

The site with Facts about HAL has a picture of 8092.

Look on this site for pictures of various HAL rooms.

http://halfacts.com/

1ANGELCAT & Ken the cruiser, thank you. Found it ... 8092 – Koningsdam . Definitely cozy! Note to avoid Deck 8 (Navigation) due to noise from Deck 9 (Lido) above.

8092 ~

1c904ad840515ee2577ff6873e21bb39.jpg

13e8c93c3dfc09b63c32caf32ee7d781.jpg

82dfa05e8fa1ae83d439626d0bd4fdd4.jpg

Edited by Dogstar

Wow, that looks really tight! And I don't think they let people sleep in the cabanas, but it'd be tempting.

How much more is an OV? At least they have a couch with space in front of it and you can sit on it and see the TV (it's not behind you).

Only you 3 can decide what's worth it for you but I think I'd consider all my options. Did you look at the Family Rooms with the double sleeper couch (probably ok for one) and an extra shower and sink room? Either the OV or the Family would probably be cheaper than an inside plus a single room but I'd look at every way possible!

I hope you find something that works. m--

How much more is an OV? ... Did you look at the Family Rooms with the double sleeper couch (probably ok for one) and an extra shower and sink room?

Compared to the 3-pax Large Interior Stateroom (I), currently an available:

* Ocean View is Family Stateroom (FB) = extra $1400 CDN total;

* Balcony is Verandah (VH; obstructed view) = extra $1300 CDN total.

I'm playing with all of the cabin permutations but Mrs. Dogstar & SIL are insistent that the stateroom $$$ savings be put towards a cabana instead ($499 USD). They're not concerned with the tight cabin living quarters as much as I am about the loss of cabin view/balcony ~ they'd much rather have their space, (semi) privacy & pampering "topside".

Maybe, just maybe, I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this trip ... try the Inside to test for ourselves if the cost savings are/were really worth it. I really enjoy balcony staterooms but am in the minority of this travelling trio.

And hope that maybe, just maybe, a decent OV/Balcony fare reduction comes along, the Upsell Fairy &/or the Upgrade Fairy visits, or that we win the lottery jackpot making vacation travel budgeting a moot point.

< fingers crossed >

Cheers. Dogstar.

Edited by Dogstar

Inside cabins, per se, aren't necessarily all that bad. I have found them quite comfortable. When I have had a balcony I haven't gotten out and enjoyed activities, nor met other people. There's an "up" side to having an inside.

However, the inside cabins can be tight for three people under the best of conditions. I would not consider the Koningsdam the best of conditions. As the newer classes of ships have come along, cabins in comparable categories have gotten smaller. The S- & R-ships have larger insides than the Vista & Signature ships. The Pinnacle class is smaller still. This is true for the largest of the "large inside" cabins.

You may have to bite the bullet so your wife has the opportunity to decide that for three people, the inside is not the best choice in the future.

We had a large group on the Nov. 13 Koningsdam cruise with a single friend across the hall from us in 6127. It is a TIGHT fit with the couch along the side wall. The TV was hung above the couch and the desk area at the end of the bed. She even said that the bathroom was tiny. She didn't spend a lot of time in the cabin.

Dogstar, one of our roll call members had this cabin, a category I inside. I can't say if all of these are the same, but 1111 was 'large.' In this cabin, I think you could be okay. 5108/5125 do not appear (based on the deck plan) to be as large as 1111. I would encourage you to look at 1111/1115/1124 or 1128.

My dear dad traveling as a single had cabin 5063, an inside J. That cabin is smaller than the cabin we had on a Viking river cruise and we would not have been happy in that with two, can't begin to imagine three!

I hope this helps!

Arie

UGH - Edited as I just noticed that those larger cabins do not show having a third bunk. Don't know why...

Edited by StartrainDD

Inside cabins, per se, aren't necessarily all that bad. I have found them quite comfortable ... However, the inside cabins can be tight for three people under the best of conditions ... You may have to bite the bullet so your wife has the opportunity to decide that for three people, the inside is not the best choice in the future.

We had a large group on the Nov. 13 Koningsdam cruise with a single friend across the hall from us in 6127. It is a TIGHT fit with the couch along the side wall .... She even said that the bathroom was tiny.

Thanks RuthC & janmitch, appreciate the input. I'm preparing myself to bite the bullet on the cramped quarters, but maybe if I share all of this feedback with Mrs. Dogstar & SIL they will change their minds towards selecting an OV/Verandah instead. [emoji6]

Edited by Dogstar