Cruising with a toddler

acct1975

Hi,

So I have a wonderful opportunity to go on a family cruise this spring. This will include my 2 1/2 year old. I'm curious to know if other people have cruised with toddlers and what their experience was.

Little things. Did you need to bring your car seat for transport to the port for embarkation, if so will the ship store it for you during the duration of the cruise?

We're looking at Royal Caribbean specifically, how did you feel about their tots program and how kids were on board in general?

Any other tidbits you think would be helpful to know would be so appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Kristi McIntyre

If you use shuttle buses, you won't need a car seat...if you are using taxis (in the US) you will need a car seat.

Children have to be 3 years old to partake in Adventure Ocean...but some ships have "nursery" care for kids under 3....which ship will you be on?

Anyone in diapers is NOT allowed in ANY pool. Some ships have a "baby splash area" for the diapered ones.

Be sure to bring any and all potential medications for kids...the ship doesn't sell pediatric meds. Something for fever/pain, stuffy noses, runny noses (and other ends!), cough meds, etc....just in case! You don't need huge amounts...but do bring what you need.

Also, a blow up tub is useful for bathing kids who aren't used to showers...only suites have tubs!

Edited by cb at sea

Looking at the Allure of the Seas or Oasis of the Seas. It's good to know about the pool restrictions though sad. Put a kid in swim diapers and they usually are pretty good but rules are rules.

Smart thought about the meds!

Hi,

So I have a wonderful opportunity to go on a family cruise this spring. This will include my 2 1/2 year old. I'm curious to know if other people have cruised with toddlers and what their experience was.

Little things. Did you need to bring your car seat for transport to the port for embarkation, if so will the ship store it for you during the duration of the cruise?

We're looking at Royal Caribbean specifically, how did you feel about their tots program and how kids were on board in general?

Any other tidbits you think would be helpful to know would be so appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Kristi McIntyre

Hi Kristi

First, congrats on the opportunity to take your first cruise - we took our son on his first cruise (and ours) when he was 3. We have found cruising to be a great family vacation, and recently booked our fifth for next year.

Second, it terms of car seats, we did not bring one - but if you do, it will be staying with you in your room during the cruise. Some people bring strollers - our son outgrew his by time we sailed, but something to consider.

Third, we have only sailed Royal Caribbean and our son loves the kids club - but not all ships are created equally. For you specifically, you will want to ensure that the ship you are on has a nursery - this is for kids 6 to 36 months. Some ships have a nursery - a place where you can drop off kids (for fee), so you and your SO can eat dinner or catch a show. Others have a Royal Tots Program, which is basically a play date for you and your child.

Finally, kids are kids. If you travel during school breaks or summer, you will find a lot of them on board. In general, they are well behaved, but you will always have some who are not. It is the same everywhere.

Good luck with your decision, and have a great cruise if you decide to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took our son on the Allure of the Seas when he was right at two and half and we had a wonderful time. Highly recommended! We traveled with my parents so four adults to one toddler made for lots of helping hands. He loved exploring the ship and of course the Allure has a free, rarely used merry go round that he rode multiple times a day. It was easy to feed him at the buffet or in the main dining room. We did not use the nursery but it looked clean and nice.

We opted not to bring a car seat because we didn't want to lug it on the plane/deal with it in the cabin. It made me nervous but worked out.

Edited by mkschles

Oasis and Allure do have small splash areas that allow swim diapers.

I took my 20 mo old on Oasis last winter and it was the best ship I could imagine for taking a toddler. We spent tons of time on the Boardwalk, riding the carousel and letting her walk and climb on the little boats there for children. There was also a nice playroom in the kids club where parents could play with their babies/toddlers. We only used the nursery once for 2 hours and she slept most of that time, so I can't comment much there.

The staff doted on her. We are a few nights at the buffet for ease. The main dining room was a bit long for her. The Mexican restaurant was excellent for all of us, though.

We did take a car seat and used it in the taxis to/from airport, port, and hotel. We also had a cab in Cozumel with a seat belt. We stored the car seat in the bottom of one of the closets.

My daughter is now nearing 3, and we are going on another cruise soon, though this is on Carnival due to the wishes of family members.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them! (And if you haven't already, check out the Family board.)

Cruising with little kids is far and away the easiest way to vacation. No rigid schedules, the buffet is easy for feeding them healthy food, most passengers love little kids and will smile/wave at them and I swear the slight motion makes them sleep better! You'll have a wonderful trip.