Is Cruising to Cuba Really Worth the Extra Costs?

lovelights

We actually decided some time ago to .....do a land vacay instead since it's WAY cheaper and we will get a lot more time to explore Cuba. Flights to Cuba from Philadelphia are dirt cheap (like under $300 round trip cheap) and B&Bs in Cuba are $30/night with extra meals there also being dirt cheap.

The trade-offs are that, yes, you do get more time to explore Cuba and meet Cubans without being isolated on a ship and a tour bus. The people are the best reason to travel to Cuba, a great joy to spend time with.

The flip side is that you really must rein in your expectations. The rooms can be (more than) somewhat uncomfortable (Cubans don't have access to more comfortable furnishings, unless maybe a relative brings/sends things from the US--a plus about a cruise is that you get to sleep on a comfortable mattress) and the food can be not-very-good and with little variety; both are much lower quality than for roughly equivalent money than in some other developing countries.

As long as you do a reality check on expectations and are ready to roll with the punches, giving thanks for any conditions better than those described, you should be OK.

Enjoy.

The trade-offs are that, yes, you do get more time to explore Cuba and meet Cubans without being isolated on a ship and a tour bus. The people are the best reason to travel to Cuba, a great joy to spend time with.

The flip side is that you really must rein in your expectations. The rooms can be (more than) somewhat uncomfortable (Cubans don't have access to more comfortable furnishings, unless maybe a relative brings/sends things from the US--a plus about a cruise is that you get to sleep on a comfortable mattress) and the food can be not-very-good and with little variety; both are much lower quality than for roughly equivalent money than in some other developing countries.

As long as you do a reality check on expectations and are ready to roll with the punches, giving thanks for any conditions better than those described, you should be OK.

Enjoy.

I'm not telling others to do what we've chosen to do. Those that enjoy the comforts of cruising should stick with that form of travel ��. Personally, I love luxury travel for some land vacations, I've enjoyed mid-range land vacations, the budget friendly cruises that I've been on have been fun (Carnival and NCL). However my favorite vacations have been when I've just "winged it" through Europe, Africa, etc. For example, I've stayed overnight in people's homes that I've met that same day in the countryside of Western Africa in small villages with no electricity. Some of the best conversations and best experiences of my life. I'll have my 11 year old and my 70+ mom with me, but considering that my mom taught me how to travel since I was very young and I have passed that on to my daughter who has little desire to spend time on a beach while on vacation (we live at the beach at home) and would rather go to museums or talk to people about their culture....I'm pretty sure we'll be fine. I never said that I was looking for great food or anything like that. Not sure why you seem to think I need to "reign in my expectations" or give myself "a reality check" but thanks for the tip anyway.

Edited by Thrilled2012

Booked the 5 day Key West-Cuba-Cozumel out of Tampa for October while on the Majesty in April. Happened to catch the 1-2-Free sale, and it worked very reasonably compared to the prices I had been seeing such as quoted above. So keep your eyes out for sales. Sailed the Empress last October, and was quite happy with her, but I personally prefer the smaller ships.

....I'm pretty sure we'll be fine. I never said that I was looking for great food or anything like that. Not sure why you seem to think I need to "reign in my expectations" or give myself "a reality check" but thanks for the tip anyway.

Because many who have visited Cuba recently report online that they were unprepared for the living conditions (one piece mattresses through which one can feel the springs, for example; no windows or only interior ones in rooms, for another) and poor quality/variety of food in restaurants, unless carefully chosen.

If someone is expecting what they might get for equivalent money in, say for example, Mexico or Brazil or even Central America, they may (depending on where they choose to stay and to eat) be in for a surprise.

Sorry if you still feel after you come back that you did not need to know that. Forewarned is forearmed though, IMO.

And btw, despite any of that, I chose to return for subsequent trips to spend time with friends I made there who become dear-er every time. Hope you are able to meet some Cubans about whom you feel the same.

Because many who have visited Cuba recently report online that they were unprepared for the living conditions (one piece mattresses through which one can feel the springs, for example; no windows or only interior ones in rooms, for another) and poor quality/variety of food in restaurants, unless carefully chosen.

If someone is expecting what they might get for equivalent money in, say for example, Mexico or Brazil or even Central America, they may (depending on where they choose to stay and to eat) be in for a surprise.

Sorry if you still feel after you come back that you did not need to know that. Forewarned is forearmed though, IMO.

And btw, despite any of that, I chose to return for subsequent trips to spend time with friends I made there who become dear-er every time. Hope you are able to meet some Cubans about whom you feel the same.

Well maybe you shouldn't make assumptions about people before being so judgmental based upon other peoples' "recent online reports". If those people were naïve, that is a shame but I, personally, would never aim to generalize that everyone else planning a Cuba vacation has the same expectations that those few people did. I am glad that you have maintained relationships with friends that you have met through your travels. I, too, have lifelong friends as a result of my travels. Happy travels to you and yours.

It's a reasonable "assumption" that until a few months ago hardly any US tourists who are flocking there now knew anything at all about contemporary Cuba. Most guidebooks are a couple of years out of date and there are few travel forum posters with longtime experience to draw on. So it's a logical conclusion that many still don't.

Please come back after your trip and give us a detailed trip report, including your daughter's impressions and those of your mother. I'm sure future tourists would benefit.

It's a reasonable "assumption" that until a few months ago hardly any US tourists who are flocking there now knew anything at all about contemporary Cuba. Most guidebooks are a couple of years out of date and there are few travel forum posters with longtime experience to draw on. So it's a logical conclusion that many still don't.

Please come back after your trip and give us a detailed trip report, including your daughter's impressions and those of your mother. I'm sure future tourists would benefit.

I suppose I forget that some people don't do as much research as I do prior to planning vacations lol. Yes, Cuba has only recently become more accessible as a vacation destination for Americans. But it has been opened visit (even more so since we still have some restrictions) for others during all of that time that those restrictions were placed upon Americans. I have read much about vacations that non-US residents have taken there over the years and I have had in-depth conversations with several different friends (non-US residents) about their trips to Cuba. I don't know why or how people could be so uninformed prior to their trip, as you say. I'm sorry that I got defensive! I can't assume that you know anything about me...just like you can't assume that you know that I've done my research lol.

Anyway...yes I do plan to come back and do a trip review 😁. I think it will be interesting to see the different takes on the country (we plan to go to Havana, Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Santiago de Cuba) as seen through the eyes of an 11 yo, "40-something" yo and a "70-something" yo. I know it's a lot to try to do in 8 days but we want to get a "birds eye view" and then decide from there where we want to come to later on in order to spend more time (kinda like going to ports on cruises)

Thrilled2012 you are correct Most guidebooks are a couple of years old and out of date but chatting online i found a new guidebook called ( 12 Hours in Havana) the ebook is about to release 5/20/17 for Kindle Or Ipad. i talked to the Author Greg shapiro he was a Crew member on Fathom Cruiseline and was part of the 1st wave of cruises heading to Cuba he has a new unique insight into a day inport in cuba. you can Pre_order it on Amazon for $4.99

51Kvap3MLwL_zpsbfs5wpkl.jpg

There seem to be a few new guides to Havana that have fairly recently (after the direct flights started in September of 2016)been published.

Everything Havana

Insider's Havana Travel Guide

Havana Tips and Tricks (by the same author as Real Havana)

The Best of Havana

I haven't seen any of these yet, except the Real Havana one, which has some valuable info about getting around more like the locals do.

Yes but i know of No other book that is comes from a cruise prospective other then ( 12 Hours in Havana) the Insight Author Greg shapiro has from being a Crew member on Fathom should be far superior for our needs

Thrilled2012 you are correct Most guidebooks are a couple of years old and out of date but chatting online i found a new guidebook called ( 12 Hours in Havana) the ebook is about to release 5/20/17 for Kindle Or Ipad. i talked to the Author Greg shapiro he was a Crew member on Fathom Cruiseline and was part of the 1st wave of cruises heading to Cuba he has a new unique insight into a day inport in cuba. you can Pre_order it on Amazon for $4.99

51Kvap3MLwL_zpsbfs5wpkl.jpg

Thank you! I will most certainly check it out

• 4 weeks later...

We booked just the other day going on a 7 day 6 night cruise in April 2018 to the Yucatan Peninsula and overnight in Havana, ocean view stateroom, travel protection, all fees included except the tourist visa and maid service We paid $1891 for both of us, which roughly breaks down to $945 pp

Edited by bubba hubby

We booked just the other day going on a 7 day 6 night cruise in April 2018 to the Yucatan Peninsula and overnight in Havana, ocean view stateroom, travel protection, all fees included except the tourist visa and maid service We paid $1891 for both of us, which roughly breaks down to $945 pp

What Ship/Line was that? Price sounds good.

What one pays for a cruise is sort of like Beauty...in the Eyes of the Beholder. If you have the money and you would enjoy going, what's the big deal? I can't take my money with me when I go.

If cruise vs. Havana hotel it's more like

A Rolex or a Cassio for the price of a Patek-Philippe

Or not worth it at all. People are said to be very nice, but to see a bunch of broken down buildings and 50 yer old cars? I think the real reason is that Cuba has been the forbidden fruit for all these years and people like that thing. Much nicer places in the Carib. to go. We have run out of other places to go or wouldn't go to Cuba.

People are said to be very nice, but to see a bunch of broken down buildings and 50 yer old cars?

No, you were right the first guess. The people are the real treasure of Cuba.

After all, you can go to Brazil or many other tropical places to see "a bunch of broken down buildings" from the Colonial era ravaged by the climate.

No, you were right the first guess. The people are the real treasure of Cuba.

After all, you can go to Brazil or many other tropical places to see "a bunch of broken down buildings" from the Colonial era ravaged by the climate.

It was not a guess. I know a lot of Cuban people that live here in Florida so it is no guesswork to know they are very nice hardworking people. Just too bad that they have been repressed all these years. I still hope to go but do not want to overpay for something I can get elsewhere for much less.

I'm amazed at all the people that are willing to pay such expensive prices to go to Cuba.

I'm thinking that many of these people were already booked, before the changes were made, because the prices increased once they announced that Empress was going to Cuba.

It's like a grand per person for a 5 day cruise to Cuba, and this is for an inside cabin. That does not include any port fees, taxes, or tips, and let's not forget about the $75 visa, the health insurance that is required, the shore excursion you need to pay for, and the fact that it's Royal's smallest ship in the fleet. Is it really worth all that extra money to go to a place for like 8 hours? It's not like you can get off the ship and go where you want, right?

I'm just curious as to what it is about Cuba that will have people paying outrageous prices to go there.

That is absolutely not true about an inside cabin being $1,000; our balcony was less than 100.00 over a thousand. Inside is $699.00!

I'm amazed at all the people that are willing to pay such expensive prices to go to Cuba.

I'm thinking that many of these people were already booked, before the changes were made, because the prices increased once they announced that Empress was going to Cuba.

It's like a grand per person for a 5 day cruise to Cuba, and this is for an inside cabin. That does not include any port fees, taxes, or tips, and let's not forget about the $75 visa, the health insurance that is required, the shore excursion you need to pay for, and the fact that it's Royal's smallest ship in the fleet. Is it really worth all that extra money to go to a place for like 8 hours? It's not like you can get off the ship and go where you want, right?

I'm just curious as to what it is about Cuba that will have people paying outrageous prices to go there.

PS: The health insurance is included! You should check before giving incorrect information!

That's a good point. Current admin can rollback changes and make Cuba effectively off-limits again for American tourists.

In that case what happens with cruises that you paid a big premium to visit Cuba?

I know some people "lucked out" paying for a Bahamas cruise that got switched to Cuba, but what happens if Cuba gets switched to the Bahamas? Many of these 4 day Cuba cruises are significantly more expensive than a Bahamas cruise; on par with many 7 day cruise costs. Will the cruise line just say well, that's the way the cookie crumbles? Can you cancel before final payment without penalty?[/quote

Don't see how a Bahamas cruise can be diverted to Cuba since special paper work has to be completed BEFORE you set sail!

You have to understand human nature and the desire to say you did something first. Same mentality of those who like to sail inaugural cruises.

Well, that's an insult!!!!! mentality?? we're sailing to Cuba on the 26th and I really take offense to your statement. People don't want to go, don't go, but leave those of us who want to alone!:rolleyes:

There are several reasons that I would like to go to Cuba:

1) I should be allowed to travel anywhere I want without restrictions placed on me by my government. I do not care if I am supporting a dictatorship. Our government has supported and continues to support monarchies, dictatorships, and oligarchies throughout the world. Freedom of movement is a human right.

2) Any interaction between different cultures and societies is a positive experience. I want to find out first-hand what life is like there now. Of course, I am getting only a slice of life there but talking to other people has to dispel stereotypes and myths.

3) The world is slowly but surely becoming more homogeneous. The same restaurants will be found in all counties. Languages are disappearing everyday. We are all watching the same movies and using the same phones. A unique way of life will disappear in Cuba in a few decades. We must go now!

1) agree

2) Cubans are on the whole very welcoming. Unfortunately a cruise with a very brief stopover, and big bus cruise excursions, keeps you as isolated from the Cuban people as possible (except for the guide who will tell you what you want to hear, for tips).

3) That is pretty selfish on the part of folks from countries that have been allowed to develop.

If you had to live there, you'd be anxious for the shortages of food and construction supplies and other items to end permanently. Most Cubans would welcome access to more variety of food (including MickeyD's if it were priced so they could afford it). Beef hardly exists on tables in Cuba. Most Cubans would love access to a car that didn't break down regularly on the side of the road. Yes, it could be said to be "a unique way of life" to watch Lowe's and Home Depot ads on TV, have the money in your pocket to buy, and be denied the opportunity.