Arctic Circle or Iceland?

I've always wanted to do an Arctic circle cruise but lately I've been thinking a lot about Iceland.

Traveling with DH and DS20 and the more I look at the Norway/Arctic Circle I'm afraid it's mostly scenery and not enough adventure/ shopping to keep the boys interested. Is that correct?

In your opinion, is it better to do an Arctic Circle cruise or a cruise that has some Norway and some Iceland?

Thank you for any thoughts on these two destinations.

Elaine

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While the tour of Iceland we did last year was land based, we found it a fascinating country. We haven't been to the Arctic Circle, but I do not think you'd be disappointed in Iceland which is a country on two continents moving in opposite directions. We learned a lot!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've done both. Like both.

But, I think Iceland is better suited to a land exploration, not really laid out to show it's best features on a cruise.

Norway, in contrast, is ideal for a cruise.....SO much scenery and character right on the thousands of miles of coast and fjords...

Why not take advantage of IcelandAir's stopover program and spend time in Iceland on the way to/from Norway? The best of both worlds.

I've been to Iceland twice, land tours only. I agree it is not an ideal cruise destination, in that there are few ports, and the beauty is the land itself. Within most of those ports there will be little to no shopping - only excursions to enjoy nature. Either ride out to see it, or be more adventurous and "do" it - glacier hiking, super jeep tours, diving the tectonic plates, etc.

We are looking to do both as well, but are focused on Norway. Both are not cheap, but agree that Iceland should be a land based vacation. We have Norway planned for my 40th in 2020. If saving goes well, we can hopefully do Iceland the following year. Good luck in your decision making.

We did a self guided land tour of Iceland in 2015. We loved it so much that we are going back this summer but are taking a small boat cruise circumnavigating the entire island, including a visit to the arctic circle in Grimsey. This cruise gives opportunities in each port for adventurous and not so adventurous excursions inland. The ship is small, accommodating only 199 passengers so it can get into small ports. I am really excited to explore Iceland during this cruise. This is an expedition type cruise, not unlike the Nat Geo cruises but for a lot less money!

We did a self guided land tour of Iceland in 2015. We loved it so much that we are going back this summer but are taking a small boat cruise circumnavigating the entire island, including a visit to the arctic circle in Grimsey. This cruise gives opportunities in each port for adventurous and not so adventurous excursions inland. The ship is small, accommodating only 199 passengers so it can get into small ports. I am really excited to explore Iceland during this cruise. This is an expedition type cruise, not unlike the Nat Geo cruises but for a lot less money!

What ship/line are you using? We also did a land tour and loved it. Should be interesting to circumnavigate.

Thank you!

And please come back after your cruise and let us know how it went.

I certainly will do that. There are reviews on the "Other Cruise Lines" forum If you want to read through them.

Edited by pmjnh