Room assignment /categories/Koningsdam

may1021

Just got my room assignment for the Koningsdam for the 1/8 cruise. I paid for a Guarantee VE room and got a VD room. Isn't VE a better room than VD?

It appears that way to me. Anyone be of help with this.

After cruising many times with HAL...even have one of those medallions!, am having annoying issues with 2 cruises I have booked this winter.

Thanks for help.

Isn't VE a better room than VD?

It appears that way to me. Anyone be of help with this.

HAL says the ranking (high to low) is VQ,VS,V,VA,VB,VC,VD,VE,VF,VH, so VD is better, but the only difference between VD and VE is location ... and there are some VE in locations that I prefer to some VD locations.

Edited by jtl513

No clue on letter meaning. I always book a guarantee and have gotten very good rooms. This time looks like not so much. We shall see. Have never been at the front on any ship and have been on probably 25 cruises.

Just got that medallion thing last year for cruising with HAL for 100 days.

Doesn't seem to be doing me much good.;)

The problem is that HAL's opinion of an upgrade can be vastly different than what we consider an upgrade. On paper, it looks impressive, but in reality, not so much.

We don't book guarantees for this reason. We pick what we want and then have it marked "No Upgrades".

If any designated name should be eliminated it should be "VD". Serious advice would be to look at the layout and see where you'll be . Deck 6 mid ship on Kdam was very convenient , seems like we always ended up at mid ship elevators most of the time . Vista suite A is a very nice configuration with a great bath / shower .

The problem is that HAL's opinion of an upgrade can be vastly different than what we consider an upgrade. On paper, it looks impressive, but in reality, not so much.

We don't book guarantees for this reason. We pick what we want and then have it marked "No Upgrades".

We have found the same, especially since HAL changed the rankings a couple of years ago.

We pick our cabin and "do not upgrade", but of course we still get upsell offers. Now, I fully understand taking a guarantee IF the price difference is substantial (often happens on cruises booked just prior to sailing date).

With very few exceptions all rooms of the same type (verandah, ocean view,etc) are identical. The different letter codes refer to different locations on the ship.

One thing that can vary, is the size of the balcony. IMO cruise lines don't put enough emphasis on balcony size in their determination of category. I would much rather have a larger balcony than a prime location.