How much alcohol can you bring back to the state on ncl

bklynfinest77

I will like to rack up on a few bottles of alcohol that I can't get in the states and a few of my friends want me to bring back some for them to but not sure how much we are allowed to bring back per person .. is there a different amount if I buy on the boat then if I buy at Port.. is just combined .. just wondering .. oh I guess yall know I'll be on a ncl cruise cause I know all cruise lines have different rules

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I will like to rack up on a few bottles of alcohol that I can't get in the states and a few of my friends want me to bring back some for them to but not sure how much we are allowed to bring back per person .. is there a different amount if I buy on the boat then if I buy at Port.. is just combined .. just wondering .. oh I guess yall know I'll be on a ncl cruise cause I know all cruise lines have different rules

You can bring back as much as you want, you will just need to pay a duty tax over a certain amount depending on what countries you visited. This is a US Customs and Border Protection rule, has nothing to do with cruise lines.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/~/bringing-alcohol-(including-homemade-wine)-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

You can buy and take all you want off the boat. It is U.S. Customs that cares.

You also have to pack in checked bags. Hope your friends understand if you have to pay extra baggage fees due to weight. And if the bottles break in your bags.

I was just going to ask if that the case why would ncl promote buying 6 bottles of white Henny cause it cheaper if you can't take it off the boat ... thanks for the info

Doubtful you will have to pay duty on just 6 bottles. It's just not worth, the extra time it takes to the agents.

Even if you did, it's worth it for pure white Hennessey, since you can't buy it in the states.

Edited by BuckeyeCruiseGuy

Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes, which will be assessed and collected at the port of entry.

It is important to remember that Alcoholic beverages purchased in duty-free shops are subject to duty and federal excise tax when accompanying you into the United States.

Most States restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought into that State apply only to residents of that State. Usually people transiting a state are not subject to those restrictions, but sometimes regulations change, and if this is a matter of utmost importance to you, you can check with the state Alcohol Beverage Control Board where you will be arriving to find out what their policies are.

You can buy and take all you want off the boat. It is U.S. Customs that cares.

You also have to pack in checked bags. Hope your friends understand if you have to pay extra baggage fees due to weight. And if the bottles break in your bags.

Live in GA driving back from my port so it not a issue

We don't even bother anymore - the prices we find are not the greatest. In St Thomas a couple weeks back Crown Royal more than at local Costco. They had a sign "not to take pictures" of prices if that tells you anything.

If there is something you are really interested in, check your prices at home to see how much of a bargain you get while traveling.

We don't even bother anymore - the prices we find are not the greatest. In St Thomas a couple weeks back Crown Royal more than at local Costco. They had a sign "not to take pictures" of prices if that tells you anything.

If there is something you are really interested in, check your prices at home to see how much of a bargain you get while traveling.

She is buying Pure White Hennessey, it's not available for purchase in the states, so you have to get it in the Caribbean or overseas.

Even non drinkers buy it for resale purposes. You can get $75+ a bottle.

Coming off a cruises in Ft Lauderdale and NYC carrying those liquor boxes I have been stopped by customs inquiring how many bottles, I answered truthfully 5, as did all my friends , we were just waved on ...On the Jade last year in Europe, the liquor bottles on NCL was no bargain ..

I have found that the customs officers don't want to bother with the hassle of collecting the duty on alcohol since it's not much and probably costs the govt more to process the forms, etc. Plus they have more serious things to watch out for. But even if they bother it won't be much.

I think the limit for USVI is 4 liters per person plus another liter if USVI made which is basically Cruzan Rum.

Edited by cruise pup

I have found that the customs officers don't want to bother with the hassle of collecting the duty on alcohol since it's not much and probably costs the govt more to process the forms, etc. Plus they have more serious things to watch out for. But even if they bother it won't be much.

I think the limit for USVI is 4 liters per person plus another liter if USVI made which is basically Cruzan Rum.

Better to be "surprised" they let you pass than to assume it and get a customs agent having a bad day who makes you pay. :eek:

She is buying Pure White Hennessey, it's not available for purchase in the states, so you have to get it in the Caribbean or overseas.

Even non drinkers buy it for resale purposes. You can get $75+ a bottle.

Actually you can buy it (White Hennessy) from a number of importers in the U.S. It ranges in price from $70 to $100, including shipping.

Sorry to hear this. Haven't been to ST in a while but it was always way less than half price. Always brought back at least 20 bottles. I believe it was 5 per person (4 people) as long as 1 was local.