port of Miami cruise parking

Sunflower321

I've parked off site in Miami once at the one off site I found with decent reviews and it was awful. I dropped my party off at the port and went to park to take the shuttle. I got there and it ended up being over an hour wait for the shuttle and ended up taking a cab with two other cruisers because we were scared we wouldn't make it. When we got back the shuttle people said they wouldn't start running them until 9 and there was already 30 people in front of us at just our ship and 4 other ships in port. I again took a cab to the off site parking location. With all that I ended up saving like $15 and swore I'd never do it again. I wasn't worried about my vehicle here but the stress wasn't worth it. I now will only park at the port and just include that as the cost of cruising. I'm just thankful I live in Florida and don't always to fly to cruise like many other cruisers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I am local (Fort Lauderdale). If I cruise from Miami, I park at the Park-N-Fly lot next to the airport (private, off-premises lot). They will not shuttle you to the Port, but you can take an Uber. I think indoor parking is $10 per day, and outdoor is $7.50 (go to their site to be sure). Have to do the math to see if it is worth the extra cost of Uber, the extra time to drive to/from the lot vs. just paying the $20. I use PNF every week in Fort Lauderdale for work, and they are very reputable. I also earn tons of free parking, so it's totally worth it for me?

Avoid parking in Miami - at all costs!!!

Vandalism runs rampant. Security - hah! Safety - double hah!

Have some peace of mind. You've spent a sizable some for your cruise. Just a bit more for ground trans is a prudent expenditure.

People are put off by the $20/per day and that is fine. We have parked there probably 40+ times in the past 10 years and have never had a problem or heard of one. On the other hand, the biggest issues we've encountered at the Port of Miami were waiting for bus transport to the airport or downtown for a rental car. We'll happily pay $20/ to avoid that.

I have to agree that the $20 is worth it in convenience and security.

Sometimes we drive over to Miami (3+ hours) and stay at a hotel with long term parking the night before just to eliminate the early morning stress of driving and possible delays, and in the morning either take their free shuttle or Uber. The cost, though is at least as much or more than just parking at the port.

When the cruise ends, it's great to just walk across the street and drive home.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Any comments on Safe Parking Lot in Miami? What hotel do you use? Thanks for the info

Can't help with input other than the port of Miami garage, which as noted above is $20 a day but very convenient right across the street from the pier Celebrity is using.

We booked the Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West Park & Cruise in December, mainly because they have an inhouse restaurant serving dinner, which I find convenient. They were charging $12 extra per person for their port shuttle, so it was cheaper to just take Uber for $15 plus tip to the port.

For names of many other pre-cruise hotels with long term parking + shuttle info, you may want to check the cruise critic North American Homeports, Florida. You can also Google Miami Park and Cruise Packages.

Note that most of the Miami park & cruise packages seem to limit the free parking to seven nights, and most or all provide only a one-way shuttle from the hotel to the port, sometimes free. When you disembark, you then have to take either Uber or a pricey taxi to get back to your car at the hotel. Some provide breakfast, some charge for it. Rates per night seem to start about $150 plus tax and go much higher. Book early - package rooms get booked up and prices increase.

I find the Fort Lauderdale park & cruise hotels to be more plentiful and user-friendly.

We are driving down the day before our cruise and are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Miami Springs. We are leaving on 1/22 for a 14 day cruise and can keep the car there. I believe the total cost is $189 (includes parking). I had to pay. $10 more for the extra day since we are going down the day before. We booked this through parksleephotels.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hotels in downtown charge guests $25-30+/day to park, so the hotels offering cruise parking deals will be out near the MIA airport. Two options often suggested on the FLA departures board include the MIA Embassy Suites and the La Quinta East. Better hotels in a better area are found in the Blue Lagoon area near the airport.

None of these includes a ride back to your car after the cruise, so figure on a $30 cab.

Parking at POM is covered, convenient & secure, but costs $20/day. :( Parking anywhere else may save you $$, but is likely to not be covered, for sure will not be as convenient, and will not be as secure. :eek:

It is your car - do you feel lucky? :confused:

For our last two cruises from Miami we have used Safe Cruise Parking. It's about 15 min. from shipside, depending on where you are in the drop order. Google them. You pay in advance -- I think it's about $8 per day. They state forcefully that the parking is safe. We have had no problems -- very high fences and iron gates. They shuttle you to the ship for free (tip of course). They also shuttle you back for free, but we have decided not to wait and took a cab back both times. Cab fare should be around $15 but they will go the long way around if you don't insist they take the short route -- tell the taxi to take the US 1 bridge and the streets, not the tunnel, or just use Uber.

They also have a lot in Ft. Lauderdale.

We have driven from Georgia and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express-Miami Airport which had a great deal for parking. I think we paid about $120 for one night, parking included. We had to pay for taxis to the airport then back from cruise port. Still total spent about $160. We parked there for 35 days.

Reading some of these comments make Miami sound like a 3rd world country. Have all that made negative comments ever parked offsite? Spent much time in Miami?

I've parked off site and used hotel parking, both with no issues.

For the hotel I always use La Quinta East as the shuttle is good and the rooms are adequate. Also much cheaper than a lot of other hotels. They include a shuttle to the pier but not back to the hotel. You can buy a return shuttle for $10 each but I found it easier to use Uber. Only cost $17

For parking I've used Premier Cruise Parking - Port of Miami. Never had an issue.

enjoy your cruise.

My parents (big time cruisers) used a major hotel chain with a "secure parking" lot for cruise patrons. The car was stolen and recovered in Texas...but they did not want it back--it was trashed. :eek:

Reading some of these comments make Miami sound like a 3rd world country. Have all that made negative comments ever parked offsite? Spent much time in Miami?

For the hotel I always use La Quinta East as the shuttle is good and the rooms are adequate. Also much cheaper than a lot of other hotels. They include a shuttle to the pier but not back to the hotel. You can buy a return shuttle for $10 each but I found it easier to use Uber. Only cost $17

For parking I've used Premier Cruise Parking - Port of Miami. Never had an issue.

enjoy your cruise.

Considering the fact that there are approximately 2300 vehicle thefts per year in Miami (according to neighborhood scout) it is a legitimate concern.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

I'm a native from Miami. I wouldn't park my car anywhere other than the port.

Also native from Miami and parking at the port is just throwing your money away. Many hotels offer secure parking for a much cheaper fare. We use Comfort Suites, highly reviewed, never an issue. Many other hotels offer parking at less than half the cost of the port. Read the reviews on off site parking in Miami, lots of great alternatives.

enjoy your cruise.

Totally agree!

Also native from Miami and parking at the port is just throwing your money away. Many hotels offer secure parking for a much cheaper fare. We use Comfort Suites, highly reviewed, never an issue. Many other hotels offer parking at less than half the cost of the port. Read the reviews on off site parking in Miami, lots of great alternatives.

I drive to the port morning of. Why would I spend money on a hotel, wait around, and then grab a cab going the opposite direction? Far better to park at the port and then get in my car and leave. My time is worth something and I drive a more expensive car.

For ME, parking at the port is secure and convenient. We've already spent a good amount of money on the cruise and I'm not going to penny pinch about 150 bucks.

I drive to the port morning of. Why would I spend money on a hotel, wait around, and then grab a cab going the opposite direction? Far better to park at the port and then get in my car and leave. My time is worth something and I drive a more expensive car.

For ME, parking at the port is secure and convenient. We've already spent a good amount of money on the cruise and I'm not going to penny pinch about 150 bucks.

It's not about the cost, it's the convenience. They way we look at it is we get an extra day of vacation. My wife doesn't want to get up early to drive to the port. This way she can sleep in and have a relaxing morning. Also gives a little cushion if any roads are closed, breakdown, etc. And yes, I drive an expensive car but it's only a car and it's parked at a hotel.

We were out of the port on our way to the hotel within 5 min from when we cleared Customs. Uber drove the same route we would have going home so it probably added 10 minutes to our trip home. Not bad for an extra day vacation.

Edited by Duanerice1

It's not about the cost, it's the convenience. They way we look at it is we get an extra day of vacation. My wife doesn't want to get up early to drive to the port. This way she can sleep in and have a relaxing morning. Also gives a little cushion if any roads are closed, breakdown, etc. And yes, I drive an expensive car but it's only a car and it's parked at a hotel.

We were out of the port on our way to the hotel within 5 min from when I cleared Customs. Uber drove the same route I would have going home so it probably added 10 minutes to my trip home. Not bad for an extra day vacation.

We must have different definitions of early LOL. We leave Melbourne at 8, drop the dog at the kennel, and arrive at the port by 11. I find this far less stressful than messing around with hotels, shuttles, and taxis. Staying at a hotel out by the airport is not my idea of a good time.

I expect one's opinion on this subject may depend on the length of their cruise. We take long cruises and on the last time we parked at a hotel in Miami, we flew to Copenhagen spent several days there, then two B2B cruises totaling 28 days arriving back in Miami. With something like 34 days of parking, it would cost a fortune to park at the port.

I expect parking at the airport long term parking would be cheaper than the port. The taxi fare is an extra, but for a month or more, no way would we park at the port.

Another issue is that I drive an 8 year old Ford that while in good condition, is probably not high on someone's list for theft.

The port would be better for you, since you don't mind paying the extra money. I also agree with you that the port is also more convenient.

Those of us who prefer to save money, find the hotels a great place to park. They have gated security and great service. I would definitely prefer to pay $7.00 daily rate to a $20 daily rate. I wouldn't call that penny pinching but more like dollar pinching.

At the end of the day, it is important to do what you are most comfortable doing. Know your choices and take the option that works best for you. Happy cruising and Happy New Year!