Freestyle opinions? And specialty dining?

Sue1260

That's is my whole point the quality of food in MDR has decined because cruise line feels if you want high quality you will pay extra and go to specialty restaurant. As you stated this quality of food was served in MDR now you pay extra for it. And price of cruise didn't decrease to compensate for decrease in quality of food included in price of cruise.

Unfortunately I have wasted a lot of time checking out many lines so I have not reached a higher tier on any of them. By booking early I did receive ultimate drink pkg and 3 nights in specialty restaurant. But cruises don't give things away so I'm sure the price of these options are some how worked into price of cruise.

I think we are saying much the same thing but just with different cruise line motives behind it. IMO - and specific to our experience with RCI - the decline is more based on cost control to keep the overall cruise costs from escalating too high. While it is still a steak, choice is less expensive than prime, etc., which over enough items over enough time affects the quality. While they clearly enhance the ship's bottom line, as I mentioned before, the sizes of the specialty restaurants are too small to drive too many people there as an intentional effort.

On a given cruise if promo's including the specialty dining venues are offered, then you would likely be correct that somewhere in the cruise price some of this cost is mitigated. But I don't think so in general - the up-charge for each likely offsets the venue premium.

Either way, I hope you continue to enjoy cruising and not let the changes over the recent years take away from that. :)

And although my Birds are done, go Steelers.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Unfortunately I have wasted a lot of time checking out many lines so I have not reached a higher tier on any of them.

I see you have switched lines. So did we, but the reason is that we travel for the destination and not only on ships. We will not book again some of the ~10 lines on which we have travelled for various reasons, mostly because they don't go where we want to go.

I think we are saying much the same thing but just with different cruise line motives behind it. IMO - and specific to our experience with RCI - the decline is more based on cost control to keep the overall cruise costs from escalating too high. While it is still a steak, choice is less expensive than prime, etc., which over enough items over enough time affects the quality. While they clearly enhance the ship's bottom line, as I mentioned before, the sizes of the specialty restaurants are too small to drive too many people there as an intentional effort.

On a given cruise if promo's including the specialty dining venues are offered, then you would likely be correct that somewhere in the cruise price some of this cost is mitigated. But I don't think so in general - the up-charge for each likely offsets the venue premium.

Either way, I hope you continue to enjoy cruising and not let the changes over the recent years take away from that. :)

And although my Birds are done, go Steelers.....

I do enjoy cruising and is in my opinion the only way to go and will never quit. Maybe part of my feelings are in had so very relaxing enjoyable cruises in the past when things were more traditional. I now choose a cruise based on destination since I have been to many post. For instance I'm booked on Breakaway this May because we love Bermuda and staying at one port for a couple of days. And can save on airfare and drive. But I'm not real crazy about breakaway. The ship is beautiful and has many activities but would have been nice to see a different ship to take out of NY to Bermuda. And I will never sail carnival again.

Hopefully we can wear super bowl Steeler T shirts to Bermuda!!!lol☺

I see you have switched lines. So did we, but the reason is that we travel for the destination and not only on ships. We will not book again some of the ~10 lines on which we have travelled for various reasons, mostly because they don't go where we want to go.

I agree when you have been to so many ports we are always looking for a different one. How many times can you go to Bahamas and see straw market? I'm over it!! One line I will never sail again is carnival. I'm booked on Breakaway this May to Bermuda second time and can't wait.

I do enjoy cruising and is in my opinion the only way to go and will never quit. Maybe part of my feelings are in had so very relaxing enjoyable cruises in the past when things were more traditional. I now choose a cruise based on destination since I have been to many post. For instance I'm booked on Breakaway this May because we love Bermuda and staying at one port for a couple of days. And can save on airfare and drive. But I'm not real crazy about breakaway. The ship is beautiful and has many activities but would have been nice to see a different ship to take out of NY to Bermuda. And I will never sail carnival again.

Hopefully we can wear super bowl Steeler T shirts to Bermuda!!!lol☺

You may want to consider Celebrity Summit. Not as many whistles and bells as NCL and is an older ship, but the food is good (IMO) and they have a longer port stay in terms of arrival time day one and departure time day three. We sailed on her this past July and liked it very much. I know you are already booked but it may be worth a comparison or consideration for a repeat visit. We love Bermuda - one of our favorite destinations!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

One of the benefits of a huge ship like Oasis OTS is the variety of included restaurants. Besides the MDR and buffet, both of which I found quite good, there were a very nice sandwich/soup/dessert venue, a patisserie-type 24-hour spot, and even a pizza restaurant! I'm pretty sure there were more that I can't remember. Even the much smaller Norwegian Pearl has 6 included restaurants as well as the 2 MDRs, although several of them are "bar and grill" places that don't sound very exciting.

I only paid for 1 meal on Oasis, the Chef's Table, and enjoyed trying the variety of included restaurants. I have every intention of sticking with the included restaurants on the Pearl as well (although no one knows yet what will survive the remodel). Lotus Garden and O'Sheehan's sound promising. I'm not an omelet or pasta fan but will probably try Great Outdoors for the fruit soups. But since food isn't my primary goal in cruising, as long as it is tasty and varied, I don't really care that it isn't top-notch gourmet.