Freestyle opinions? And specialty dining?

Sue1260

How many here like the new freestyle cruises? I have mixed feelings like the option of going to dinner at anytime but if I had a set time I have no problem making it to dining room on time. I think since freestyle cruising has become so popular so has dress as you want. I'm not that stuffy that I think men should have a jacket or ladies wear a dress but since freestyle cruising started the dress code has gotten to freestyle also they wear totally inappropriate things into dining room and no one refuses to entrance to main dining room. Also I liked having dinner with same people every night. If you want freestyle dining there are many options buffet or specialty restaurants. Would like others opinions on subject no need to be rude everyone is entitled to their opinion without being judged. Just miss the formality of dinner things seemed more elegant and food was definitely better.

WE, too, enjoy tablemates, and "anytime" or Your time" dining just doesn't allow that. We looked forward to seeing our tablemates nightly! Of course, nowadays, with all the specialty options, you aren't guaranteed that your entire table will be there nightly....I really enjoyed meals before specialty restaurants, when the dining room food was AWESOME and presented artfully!

How many here like the new freestyle cruises? I have mixed feelings like the option of going to dinner at anytime but if I had a set time I have no problem making it to dining room on time. I think since freestyle cruising has become so popular so has dress as you want. I'm not that stuffy that I think men should have a jacket or ladies wear a dress but since freestyle cruising started the dress code has gotten to freestyle also they wear totally inappropriate things into dining room and no one refuses to entrance to main dining room. Also I liked having dinner with same people every night. If you want freestyle dining there are many options buffet or specialty restaurants. Would like others opinions on subject no need to be rude everyone is entitled to their opinion without being judged. Just miss the formality of dinner things seemed more elegant and food was definitely better.

Freestyle dining is not new. NCL has had it for a long time. What is new is that more of the mass market lines are offering it as an option calling it something like Anytime dining. We prefer that type of dining because we do not like to be tied to a particular time. We often ask for 'shared' table so that we can meet others. But we like the option of also asking for a table for two, depending on our energy level.

We got tired of all the formal evenings so we are glad to see more cruise lines offer a more relaxed dress style.

we prefer the "open dining" we can eat when we are hungry & not when the ship tells us to eat

Freestyle does not mean sloppy dress but some main stream lines people think that free style applies to the dress code as well

Pick the style that suits you best ...

While flexibility is generally a good thing, one of the points of vacation travel is to do things you cannot do at home. One of these things is to dine in the evenings for a week or so with a group with whom to share experiences, thoughts, etc. Another is to make dinner something of a special occasion. Traditional dining does both. The rest of the year you can eat whatever you want while wearing whatever you want --- I do not need that so much on a cruise that I want to give up the other.

Actually, I am happy that a choice is offered on many lines - it increases the chances of having a compatible group at dinner because those who do not enjoy becoming part of a dinner table will not be there.

we prefer the "open dining" we can eat when we are hungry & not when the ship tells us to eat

Freestyle does not mean sloppy dress but some main stream lines people think that free style applies to the dress code as well

Pick the style that suits you best ...

I totally agree and many dining rooms don't even enforce there own rules. I understand everyone paid for their own cruise but if you want to wear your muscle ripped shirt or hat there are plenty of other choices besides main dining room

If you prefer traditional dining and formal dress codes that are enforced, then sail on those lines that have them. They exist.

I prefer the flexibility of anytime, or select, dining. I rarely want to eat at the same time every night. And I don't want to be forced to either the buffet (ugh) or a specialty restaurant as my only option. I also don't want to be forced to eat with half a dozen total strangers every night. But having the ability to join newly made friends for dinner on any given night is a pleasure.

As for dress codes, or lack thereof, blame the cruise lines. They cater to the lowest common denominator, and on some lines, it has become very low indeed. DH and I spent a good part of our adult life HAVING to don formal wear for business and social functions. It long ago became a chore rather than a pleasure. I am thrilled that I can leave those dresses in my closet when we cruise. That doesn't mean that I show up in the MDR dressed like a Walmart shopper though. As for what the other diners wear- I can't say that the sight of inappropriate clothing has ever affected my appreciation for the taste of my wine or my souffle. And there have been times when it has provided a certain entertainment value. ( Yes, I judge. Deal with it)

I can't really see how there is a direct cause and effect relationship between select dining and the lowering quality of the food in the MDR. I'll lay that at the feet of the accountants and their cost cutting.

Well said I agree!! But many lines don't effort their own policy but it does make for some entertainment. Doesn't always take place at MDR the bathing suits or lack of suits at buffet is another topic on its own

Edited by Sue1260

While flexibility is generally a good thing, one of the points of vacation travel is to do things you cannot do at home. One of these things is to dine in the evenings for a week or so with a group with whom to share experiences, thoughts, etc. Another is to make dinner something of a special occasion. Traditional dining does both. The rest of the year you can eat whatever you want while wearing whatever you want --- I do not need that so much on a cruise that I want to give up the other.

Actually, I am happy that a choice is offered on many lines - it increases the chances of having a compatible group at dinner because those who do not enjoy becoming part of a dinner table will not be there.

I agree. We've done both and even when we are choosing our own dining time under Freestyle we'll still dress a little nicer for dinner, even donning nicer clothes on whatever passes for formal nights (I leave my tux at home but do bring a suit). We've met some great table mates during assigned dining and it can certainly add to the enjoyment of the cruise.

We actually like both traditional dining and flexible dining and we go back and forth between different cruise lines that offer these. It is fun to make new friends with traditional dining, but sometimes, we just want a romantic private holiday and flexible dining is ideal for that as well.

I am not one for regimented anything. I abhor fixed dining. I was turned off to cruising after being forced to eat at one time every night with a group of strangers I had no desire to spend time with at a table. I did not like the idea that, as a solo, I had to relegate myself to the buffet for dinner if I did not want to be placed with others. I came back to cruising after freestyle/anytime/my time/ etc., dining was introduced.

The whole "what to wear" thing is propagated by the cruise lines who update their dress suggestions to match the current market demographics and those who want to keep the old standards. It'll never go away until those who want the old standards band together to create their own cruise ship and are the ones who stand at the door of the MDR and turn away those who are not dressed up to their standards/code. Until then, cruisers have the choice of "sucking it up" and dining with the unwashed or in-room dining or choosing a line that has dress standards that match their own (like Crystal or Cunard).

Edited by slidergirl

The introduction of freestyle dining had nothing to do with changing the dress code.

Freestyle dining started with the cruise lines introducing upcharge dining options. It is difficult to get passengers to voluntarily pay more at an alternate location on the ship when they are regulated to the MDR. Changing those traditions allowed the cruise lines to increase revenues onboard.

The changing of the dress codes is the result of the cruise lines building more and more bigger ships and having no choice but to market to a different passenger. The cruise lines embraced the "build it and they will come" philosophy and had no choice but to make cruising attractive to those who would never had cruised otherwise. And it has worked and has been hugely successful and it still continues.

Many large cruise lines now offer options for many different passengers. If you want a formal experience there is a restaurant for that. If you want casual, there is a restaurant for that.

I started cruising when there was only traditional dining room (at least on the cruise lines I've known about) and a casual type that was akin to cafeteria dining (you picked out your foods and then took your tray to an available table).

Seems like many cruise lines started offering the flexible dining as an option about some ten to fifteen years ago. We have always opted for late traditional all along and when being offered the choice, we still did. A couple of cruises ago, we booked only weeks before the cruise and never cleared the waitlist for traditional so we were given anytime. It was a 14-day cruise and it turned out that half of those nights, we looked at the menu (Princess posts that night's menu for the main dining rooms after lunch) and decided to head to the buffet. when going to the anytime dining room, we always asked to share a table to cut down on waiting time (my hubby hates waiting in lines) but we did have a major wait on one of he formal nights and had to get a pager.

there were a couple of times we were seated and some at the table had already ordered. It made for an awkward service -- some people got their courses ahead of others and sometimes everyone at the table ended up waiting for some courses.

A few weeks later, we were talking about the dining situation and we decided we didn't care for anytime. Besides the disorganized serving (the previous paragraph), hubby said he often felt the waitstaff was rushing service. we both felt that traditional dining adds something special about being on a cruise, as opposed to just going to a restaurant on land -- you often get waitstaff that remembers your tastes. I love it when I mention I like lemon slices and not dressing for my salad...and every night after that, a plate of lemon slices get placed near me without my mentioning it.

We were really glad to be able to get late traditional on our next cruise. We don't get concerned about waiting for the 8 or 8:15 meal as we usually will go to the buffet for a quick nosh in the mid-afternoon (my hubby likes to spread out little meals over the day). We haven't been on cruises with too many late ports, but we might eat in port those times or just head to the buffet if we miss our seating. Not a problem.

Another thing for me in favor of traditional dining is that I know where and when I'll be eating. We don't have that "where are we going to eat" discussion that we would if going to a restaurant back home. and one thing I wouldn't want to do on vacation (or at any time for that matter) is sit on the phone in the morning just to reserve a dining time.

We have only been on one cruise and chose Anytime Dining. Once on the cruise, we regretted it. We were always hungry and ready to eat at the first seating time, but had trouble getting a table in the Anytime MDR. Sometimes we waited and got hungrier, sometimes we went to the buffet. But I think it would have been nice to get to know tablemates. (There were no openings at the early seating by the time I changed my mind, and there is no way we wanted to wait for the late seating.)

Our upcoming cruise is on NCL, which only offers unassigned dining. I think the best approach would be to offer both and let the customer choose what suits them.

A reasonable dress standard would be nice (if enforced) but I don't miss formal night at all. DH would rather be staked out on an anthill than wear a suit, much less a tux, and I had to fight the "what can I take that will be dressy enough but not take up the whole suitcase?" problem. Guess I'll never get to cruise on Cunard. ;)

Edited by mamasylvia

I agree with a lot of comments here.. I to started to cruise before freestyle became the rage and enjoyed talking to table mates for the most part. We are from PGH and sailed out of Baltimore once and when we went to dinner we were seated with another lovely couple that noticed my husbands steeler pendant. It quickly there turned in to a unpleasant discussion since they were from Baltimore and we are huge rivals. My husband tried to tone things down but other couple would not quit or change subject. So we ended up switching dinning rooms. Lol

I think since all the specialty restaurants have started to appear on ships the MDR food has not been as good. I think cruise lines have done this so people will visit specialty restaurants for an up charge. One of the things I love about cruising is its all inclusive only need cash for excursions or souvenirs. So it's not fair I pay the same or more for a cruise for lesser quality of food. I can remember getting new York strip steaks and lobster in MDR.

I can understand that ships have to cater to all types of people but Breakaway has 3 MDR can't they dedicated one of those as having stricter dress codes than other two. To cater to people who like to dress and have more traditional dinner? It seems things have swung the other way. And I don't feel I should have to go on a more expensive cruise line to get what the same experience that was once the norm. So for people who enjoyed the tradition aspects of cruising are not catered to at all.

I'm sure I will get a lot of criticism for this post but everyone has their opinions.

I can understand that ships have to cater to all types of people but Breakaway has 3 MDR can't they dedicated one of those as having stricter dress codes than other two. To cater to people who like to dress and have more traditional dinner? It seems things have swung the other way. And I don't feel I should have to go on a more expensive cruise line to get what the same experience that was once the norm. So for people who enjoyed the tradition aspects of cruising are not catered to at all.

I'm sure I will get a lot of criticism for this post but everyone has their opinions.

Very good point. NCL's "Free Style" is advertised as letting you choose the cruise style you want --- while what it really does is deny you a major choice provided on other lines. With multiple dining rooms, they could easily set one aside for dress-code applied, traditional assigned dining. It seems that, in their effort to be all things to everyone, they are actually driving away a significant portion of the cruising population.

I agree with a lot of comments here.. I to started to cruise before freestyle became the rage and enjoyed talking to table mates for the most part. We are from PGH and sailed out of Baltimore once and when we went to dinner we were seated with another lovely couple that noticed my husbands steeler pendant. It quickly there turned in to a unpleasant discussion since they were from Baltimore and we are huge rivals. My husband tried to tone things down but other couple would not quit or change subject. So we ended up switching dinning rooms. Lol

I think since all the specialty restaurants have started to appear on ships the MDR food has not been as good. I think cruise lines have done this so people will visit specialty restaurants for an up charge. One of the things I love about cruising is its all inclusive only need cash for excursions or souvenirs. So it's not fair I pay the same or more for a cruise for lesser quality of food. I can remember getting new York strip steaks and lobster in MDR.

Just a couple of comments in terms of clarification. I agree that the MDR overall quality has declined, but I think it is more a result of trying to manage costs than to drive people to the specialty restaurants. With RCI as example the specialty restaurants are small in comparison to the MDR, typically seating less than 100 people at a time. That is a small percentage overall compared to the MDR capacity.

And steaks and lobster are still offered in the MDR at n/c, albeit not the same quality as that served in the specialty restaurants.

As to a dress code, the Quantum class ships have a venue named The Grande, which is designated as formal each night for those who wish to dress up, with the other venues as casual.

As to your topics of discussion at the dinner table, while as a season ticket holder (and sufferer) I am an Eagles fan, my wife is from Pittsburgh as well and certainly offers balance in that regards. We would have been fine in conversations over dinner as a result........;)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Very good point. NCL's "Free Style" is advertised as letting you choose the cruise style you want --- while what it really does is deny you a major choice provided on other lines. With multiple dining rooms, they could easily set one aside for dress-code applied, traditional assigned dining. It seems that, in their effort to be all things to everyone, they are actually driving away a significant portion of the cruising population.

Totally agree not to mention decline in quality of food and service. As a previous server it's very hard to be efficient when everyone arrives at different times food comes out at different times. I stretches a server and how much time they can give individual service.

We prefer the flexibility offered with MTD on RCI and typically eat primarily in the specialty restaurants as in our opinion they offer a better choice and quality of food than that served in the MTD.

But why does cruise line force you to pay for something that should be included in price of cruise. It use to be quality food and different choices every night and theme nights. Examples Italian, French and American

But why does cruise line force you to pay for something that should be included in price of cruise. It use to be quality food and different choices every night and theme nights. Examples Italian, French and American

I don't think they are forcing you to eat in the specialty restaurants at all - it remains an option. There are many venues - including the MDR - that remain included in the cruise price. The others are optional. Having the upcharge for this option in part keeps the cost of the included venues lower IMO. I think the debate maybe should be more with regards to an overall decline in quality in the MDR.

We've cruised for many years and have experienced that change, but many recent cruisers may not perceive it the same as they may not have the same reference point that we do. IMO most people probably feel that the MDR is very good and don't see an issue.

Our choice to dine in the specialty restaurants is not entirely driven by what we see as a reduced overall quality in the MDR, but also from a preference in the dining options offered in the specialty restaurants. Our style of cruising has changed as well considerably over the years. As example, we don't spend any money on cruise related excursions preferring to do everything on shore on our own. Spending extra on board for the specialty restaurants on balance is a choice that we make as a preference. Our Loyalty Program tier level also allows us some benefit in that regard as well, which helps.

It is a good discussion, either way.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I don't think they are forcing you to eat in the specialty restaurants at all - it remains an option. There are many venues - including the MDR - that remain included in the cruise price. The others are optional. Having the upcharge for this option in part keeps the cost of the included venues lower IMO. I think the debate maybe should be more with regards to an overall decline in quality in the MDR.

We've cruised for many years and have experienced that change, but many recent cruisers may not perceive it the same as they may not have the same reference point that we do. IMO most people probably feel that the MDR is very good and don't see an issue.

Our choice to dine in the specialty restaurants is not entirely driven by what we see as a reduced overall quality in the MDR, but also from a preference in the dining options offered in the specialty restaurants. Our style of cruising has changed as well considerably over the years. As example, we don't spend any money on cruise related excursions preferring to do everything on shore on our own. Spending extra on board for the specialty restaurants on balance is a choice that we make as a preference. Our Loyalty Program tier level also allows us some benefit in that regard as well, which helps.

It is a good discussion, either way.

That's is my whole point the quality of food in MDR has decined because cruise line feels if you want high quality you will pay extra and go to specialty restaurant. As you stated this quality of food was served in MDR now you pay extra for it. And price of cruise didn't decrease to compensate for decrease in quality of food included in price of cruise.

Unfortunately I have wasted a lot of time checking out many lines so I have not reached a higher tier on any of them. By booking early I did receive ultimate drink pkg and 3 nights in specialty restaurant. But cruises don't give things away so I'm sure the price of these options are some how worked into price of cruise.

How many here like the new freestyle cruises? ... Just miss the formality of dinner things seemed more elegant and food was definitely better.

It may be time to switch to a cruise lines that offers traditional dining in addition to 'any time'. My first cruise was on NCL a decade ago and the food was nothing to rave about then.