RCI Credit card rewards

I have over 75k points to use on my RCI credit card. That puts me in the companion sails free to Caribbean itinerary. Is that $1500 limit applied to the sale price being advertised or is it applied to "list" price?

I don't need to sail but I hate to lose the points.

Thanks.

I have over 75k points to use on my RCI credit card. That puts me in the companion sails free to Caribbean itinerary. Is that $1500 limit applied to the sale price being advertised or is it applied to "list" price?

I don't need to sail but I hate to lose the points.

Thanks.

The points/$ will go against the current price being offered on their website. I believe that the points are good for at least 3 years then they start dropping off. I had that happen to a friend of mine so she made a reservation right away. LOL

I've continued digging for the answer. It looks like it will be the "list" price. So, I'll take the $750 credit and look for a new card.

You are correct, you would have to apply the "free" companion credit to the non-discounted price of the cruise. In other words, the contant fake sales have broken the best Visa point redemptions. Thanks RC.

The points/$ will go against the current price being offered on their website. I believe that the points are good for at least 3 years then they start dropping off. I had that happen to a friend of mine so she made a reservation right away. LOL

Points expire month by month after 60 months. BofA has a notice on the statement if your points are about to expire. Once used for a future cruise that portion is deducted from your balance.

I haven't seen a Cruise affiliated credit card that seems to make sense. Works out to 1% in OBC wheras cash back cards pay at least that and often more. If you spend a lot on cruises and not much else the 2% you get on RCCL spending might make sense but even then other cards have better returns.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't seen a Cruise affiliated credit card that seems to make sense. Works out to 1% in OBC wheras cash back cards pay at least that and often more. If you spend a lot on cruises and not much else the 2% you get on RCCL spending might make sense but even then other cards have better returns.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agreed - and to top it off, the rewards points that you earn eventually drop off? That's nuts!

Not worth it as previous poster stated. I now use a Citi issued card which gives me 3% CASH back on all travel which is much better than RCI points.

The only upside was the $100.00 worth of bonus points when I signed up for card initially. Other than that the rate of return even at 2:1 for RCI cruise related expense is not worth it.

Interestingly RCL is currently offering in addition to the 10,000 bonus points for making 1 purchase an additional 7,500 points if you spend $1,000 within 90 days.

The website says those 7,500 points are good for $75 OBC. Unless something has changed and it is not on their redemption site there are NO OBC rewards for $75, or $25, only for $50 and then $150.:confused::rolleyes:

Interestingly RCL is currently offering in addition to the 10,000 bonus points for making 1 purchase an additional 7,500 points if you spend $1,000 within 90 days.

The website says those 7,500 points are good for $75 OBC. Unless something has changed and it is not on their redemption site there are NO OBC rewards for $75, or $25, only for $50 and then $150.:confused::rolleyes:

Molly , If you want to redeem for 100.00, just order 2 of the $50.00 rewards.

Molly , If you want to redeem for 100.00, just order 2 of the $50.00 rewards.

Thanks but I am looking for the $75 OBC redemption option. RCL is advertising that the new bonus points of 7500 will get you $75 OBC but there is no option for that one

Thanks but I am looking for the $75 OBC redemption option. RCL is advertising that the new bonus points of 7500 will get you $75 OBC but there is no option for that one

It's RC marketing genius! They offer 7500 bonus points without telling you there's no way to redeem the entire amount without earning another 2500 points. If only they would put in half the effort they spend on fake marketing schemes towards fixing their IT problems.

It's RC marketing genius! They offer 7500 bonus points without telling you there's no way to redeem the entire amount without earning another 2500 points. If only they would put in half the effort they spend on fake marketing schemes towards fixing their IT problems.

I know- it's amazing. And while on hold I was listening to the promo advertising the contest to win a trip on the Harmony!!!! That ship has sailed!!!;)

• 5 weeks later...

I had to cancel our Feb 5th cruise on the Oasis today. :( I am very glad I had signed up for RCL Travel Protection program. Will get 100% back since it is due to illness.

I had redeemed 10000 RCL credit cards points for $100 OBC on this cruise. When I called to cancel the cruise, the guy did not know if I could get that $100 back or not. He suggested that I call BOA. But before I attempt to tackle that maze, I thought I would ask the most knowledgeable people around.... HERE....

So, is there any way I can get the $100 BOA OBC back?

Edited by Cruising-Snowbird

I am thinking of getting the card with the new promotion. I plan on charging 1,250 dollars towards my next cruise so I should get double points so I would get 2,500 points plus 10,000 points for charging once plus 7,500 bonus points for charging more than 1,000 dollars giving me 20,000 points. Redeem for 200 dollars on board credit which I will easily use. I believe my calculations are correct.

I had to cancel our Feb 5th cruise on the Oasis today. :( I am very glad I had signed up for RCL Travel Protection program. Will get 100% back since it is due to illness.

I had redeemed 10000 RCL credit cards points for $100 OBC on this cruise. When I called to cancel the cruise, the guy did not know if I could get that $100 back or not. He suggested that I call BOA. But before I attempt to tackle that maze, I thought I would ask the most knowledgeable people around.... HERE....

I'm not sure about getting the points back, but I had a situation similar to yours and they allowed me to move the OBC to a future booking.

You are correct, you would have to apply the "free" companion credit to the non-discounted price of the cruise. In other words, the contant fake sales have broken the best Visa point redemptions. Thanks RC.

Exactly why we switched to the Chase Sapphire Preferred then to the Sapphire Reserve. Can save more with other aspects of our travels (air/hotel) in comparison to the cruise itself.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

I just redeemed 10,000 pts for $100 OBC and was told by the rep that they aren't refundable but she also said, as RosieRoo posted, they could be applied to a future cruise.

This is a timely discussion for me! My SO applied for the card but hasn't received it yet. He is planning to use it for a $1,100 charge at a home improvement store. That is 1,100 points towards the 2,500 needed to bring $175 up to a usable $200. If we charge $700 of OBC, that would be the additional 1,400 required points, correct? Then we would in effect be paying $350 each for $450 each of OBC. Did I figure that right?

And, would he receive the points in time to use them for a cruise on May 1?

I just redeemed 10,000 pts for $100 OBC and was told by the rep that they aren't refundable but she also said, as RosieRoo posted, they could be applied to a future cruise.

Thank you for the information to transfer the RCL Visa card points that I redeemed and then canceled the cruise. I canceled our Feb 5th Oasis cruise on Feb 1st. I had $100 OBC on that cruise from the RCL Visa rewards. I called up the Crown & Anchor number today and asked if I could transfer the $100 to our March cruise on the Freedom. He said yes and then filled out the paperwork to do it. An hour later he sent the updated March Booking Confirmation showing the additional $100 OBC from BOA.

Thanks to those who told me that I could do the transfer....

BTW, I got the claim form today from the RCL Travel insurance company for me to fill out and get the Doctor to fill out his page. I expect to get 100% of the cruise cost back within a few weeks...