Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

Here's the letter, "technical failure";

16649506_1259310074117246_1834713778787610832_n.jpg?oh=50afa5850eb47d9123a716c835ca3813&oe=593C0197

"We have full power, but will be towed to make repairments."

This is such a dumb letter. Saying everything is OK when everyone knows it's not OK is what makes people feel cheated. Losing trust is a perfect recipee to make people angry.

IMHO, in this letter NCL should have explained exactly what happened down to technical details and what they can and cannot do. Anyone owning a car would understand. I'd still be disappointed to miss a few ports but wouldn't blame NCL.

I think that is what will make our decision for us. 2 azipods we sail, 1 we fly. No way I am letting what happened the other night occur in the middle of the Tasman or worse, close to land. We were very lucky to have had around 20 miles between us and land when we were adrift.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

But to whom and when do you ask if the ship is fixed or is this another patch up job. You need to do this before you sail

Regards john

But to whom and when do you ask if the ship is fixed or is this another patch up job. You need to do this before you sail

Regards john

Aye there's the rub. No updates from the Captain since yesterday. No one knows anything so nothing concrete. Don't want to wait until we sail and have to count wakes...too late at that point. Will start pushing for info tomorrow AM.

"We have full power, but will be towed to make repairments."

This is such a dumb letter. Saying everything is OK when everyone knows it's not OK is what makes people feel cheated. Losing trust is a perfect recipee to make people angry.

IMHO, in this letter NCL should have explained exactly what happened down to technical details and what they can and cannot do. Anyone owning a car would understand. I'd still be disappointed to miss a few ports but wouldn't blame NCL.

From a legal point of view they would be really silly to put in writing technical details when the problem hasn't been accurately assessed. As observed on my last cruise not all people were angry. Unfortunately the loud, aggressive, ranting passengers tend to stand out, more than the passengers who accept the situation and get on with enjoying their cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aye there's the rub. No updates from the Captain since yesterday. No one knows anything so nothing concrete. Don't want to wait until we sail and have to count wakes...too late at that point. Will start pushing for info tomorrow AM.

Well keep at them l am sure you understand what the risks are you we so lucky with the weather yesterday a southerly gale could have put the ship ashore in about ten hours. Buy a lotto ticket it was your lucky day

Regards john

Well keep at them l am sure you understand what the risks are you we so lucky with the weather yesterday a southerly gale could have put the ship ashore in about ten hours. Buy a lotto ticket it was your lucky day

Regards john

Right now in the area where the Star was disabled winds are 30 knts blowing onshore and 3.5 meter waves.

Very lucky they were 48 hrs earlier.

https://www.windytv.com/?waves,-37.195,159.565,5

Edited by yatchet

I think that is what will make our decision for us. 2 azipods we sail, 1 we fly. No way I am letting what happened the other night occur in the middle of the Tasman or worse, close to land. We were very lucky to have had around 20 miles between us and land when we were adrift.

Judging by their projected departure time of Tuesday noon, they must be expecting to average around 20 knots to make it to Auckland early Saturday am, according to sea distances.org, which would mean they expect to have both pods working..

I said no such thing. I said they were going to assess the situation this AM and go from there. I only posted because there has been discussion about working on the pods while we sailed (they didn't) that all the repair parts are here (they told us no such thing) and that pax were angry (we've seen no anger)

I don't know if we will be sailing or flying to Auckland and will make that decision when I have verified info.

Are you sure you spelled those right?

The post after yours offends too. On the 7th Dec the Star was in Langkawi and on the 9th in Port Klang.

If people are going to post then surely the information should be accurate; proof read before posting and if there are indicators check.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Saw this on Sunrise this morning. This guy from Texas is making the most of it and has a great attitude, love him.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/watch/34393839/stricken-cruise-liner-towed-back-to-melbourne/#page1

Love it! Go Francis!

PS- the YouTube footage of chanting is the Jan 16th cruise. A ringleader organized the mass protests in the atrium.

Judging by their projected departure time of Tuesday noon, they must be expecting to average around 20 knots to make it to Auckland early Saturday am, according to sea distances.org, which would mean they expect to have both pods working..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Two days across the Tasman sea, another day to get up the north island, Saturday am is doable but as you say, they need a good speed (17-20) to do it.

Love it! Go Francis!

PS- the YouTube footage of chanting is the Jan 16th cruise. A ringleader organized the mass protests in the atrium.

You seem to be critical of those people but i assume you are not donating the extra compensation they obtained for you back to them or charity?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I notice that the repairs are well underway and the parts have come form the other side of the world. Triptolemous has gone very quite as I said they were flown to Aus. not by deep sea cargo and BTW its New Zealand not Zeland!

Did you see this with your own eyes....or our you speculating.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I notice that the repairs are well underway and the parts have come form the other side of the world. Triptolemous has gone very quite as I said they were flown to Aus. not by deep sea cargo and BTW its New Zealand not Zeland!

If the "Zeland" comment is directed at me then you obviously missed the joke ... but judging from these posts that does not surprise me :rolleyes:

As I said read the tech press the parts are coming from Italy and yes there are plenty of aircraft capable of flying the parts - If they can fly entire 777 engines they can fly a pod

I believe what triptolemous was disputing was the claim in your post quoted above (about 10 pages back) that I have bolded above, claiming that they should fly an entire azipod in, not that the parts were being flown in, and I refuted that claim stating the relative dimensions of the two examples you used.

I looked back, and don't see anyone debating that parts are being flown in, and in response to triptolemous' acknowledgement of the facts stated in my rebuttal post, you answered by saying "not really, it pays to get the facts right". Again, no one disputed your statement about parts being flown, but it seems like you are disputing my facts about how large an azipod is. The only one seemingly getting their shorts in a wad is you.

Regards john

Or they could have Anchored

Or they could have Anchored

Design limitations of anchoring equipment

The IACS16 ‘Requirements concerning mooring, anchoring and towing’ includes the following in respect

of the design of anchoring equipment:

‘The anchoring equipment required herewith is intended for temporary mooring of a vessel within a

harbour or sheltered area when the vessel is awaiting berth, tide, etc;

The equipment is therefore not designed to hold a ship off fully exposed coasts in rough weather…;

You might like to consider this

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c6f23ed915d4c1000000b/StenaAlegra.pdf

Kindest regards

John

Gee, I guess we'd better tell the 60 or so ships currently anchored off Galveston, that their anchoring equipment isn't designed to hold them off fully exposed coasts in rough weather. Yes, we've left the anchorage before due to weather, but that was when a hurricane was coming.

Yes, every mariner knows there are limits to their ground tackle, and the incident you note was more human error and poor decision making than failure of the ground tackle. And in the Star's instance, the decision to anchor would be an "in extremis" decision to prevent grounding, and would be a logical step for the Master to take, regardless of weather.

Passengers are disembarking and talking to the press, people seem quite pragmatic.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/norwegian-star-liner-docks-in-melbourne-passengers-break-their-silence-20170211-guavpi.html

I'm on the March 9th leg and would like the option to cancel with a refund but don't have that choice at the moment.

that has been the no. 1 sticking point over the last 3 cruises. Whether the azipod issues are related or how safe the problem is can all be put down to conjecture but the FACT is there has been at least one azipod problem on all cruises and none have been given the option to cancel BEFORE sailing.

that has been the no. 1 sticking point over the last 3 cruises. Whether the azipod issues are related or how safe the problem is can all be put down to conjecture but the FACT is there has been at least one azipod problem on all cruises and none have been given the option to cancel BEFORE sailing.

not true, the dec 22nd sailing we were on was given the option to cancel before boarding