Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

Always articulately & clearly stated and based upon vetted experience, including caveats for unknown situations/conditions. Having myself worked for NASA, I understand (though not necessarily agree w) why NCL doesn't provide a statement (team hasn't yet formulated resolution plan, etc). That said, I realize Florida TAs are bound by law (Seller of Travel) to divulge to their clients any issues that may lead to the detriment of their product (cruise, etc). Are the suppliers (I.e., NCL) required to do so as well?

Well, I guess that maritime safety professionals, and insurance underwriters (the classification societies) would disagree with you regarding a safety issue. Besides, while having no propulsion is undoubtedly an extreme inconvenience for your vacation, it is not a safety issue. Many ships have survived many storms without propulsion in the past. Besides, since this pod failure appears to be different from the previous one, it would appear to me that the ship could have taken the part needed for this second repair from the first failed pod to make the repair.
Edited by Birder1

Always articulately & clearly stated and based upon vetted experience, including caveats for unknown situations/conditions. Having myself worked for NASA, I understand (though not necessarily agree w) why NCL doesn't provide a statement (team hasn't yet formulated resolution plan, etc). That said, I realize Florida TAs are bound by law (Seller of Travel) to divulge to their clients any issues that may lead to the detriment of their product (cruise, etc). Are the suppliers (I.e., NCL) required to do so as well?

I really couldn't say, I don't comment on guest relations problems, as they are not my area of expertise.

Well, still not too clear. A "coil" could be anything from the size of a child's fist to something the size of a room. Unless it is one of the motor's stator windings, down in the pod, or a major transformer winding (which would most likely require a hole cut in the hull), it would be repairable while in service (and this is sort of what I get from the comments). Again, if the repair needs to be done in the pod itself (like the last repair), then it would need to be done in port. If it is outside the pod, it would be up in the ship, and repairable underway. As for lead time, without knowing what exactly is involved, I couldn't say, but this type of failure is more common, so spares may be available from the manufacturer's stock.

I noticed the overnight in Melbourne, and didn't understand why the port call in Burnie was cancelled for this, unless it is to schedule some dockside repairs.

Chengkp, what is your educated guess as to why the Star in particular has become so prone to azipod failures? Just the age of the pods? Lack of investment in servicing as it's an old ship? Coincidence...?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Chengkp, what is your educated guess as to why the Star in particular has become so prone to azipod failures? Just the age of the pods? Lack of investment in servicing as it's an old ship? Coincidence...?

Shipowners don't get any benefit from lack of maintenance, if they want to keep their insurance premiums down, as the better P&I clubs require good practices and good class societies.

The Star has been "snake bit" on her pods since the beginning, as she had a failure back in 2004, when she was only 4 years old. I'm a bit surprised at the continued problems, as the pods get new bearing/seal sub-assemblies at each drydock, and these sub-assemblies are rotated through all of ABB's clients that have the same size pods (the old one comes off the ship, goes back to ABB for overhaul, and is then kept for the next ship that needs one). The Star's pods and control system (which it sounds like this failure is in the control system) are among some of the oldest of this type in service, and it may just be that we are starting to see the end of the service life for some major components, that have not been seen before, and have not happened to younger units, so the manufacturer isn't aware of the need to renew components at this time.

Shipowners don't get any benefit from lack of maintenance, if they want to keep their insurance premiums down, as the better P&I clubs require good practices and good class societies.

The Star has been "snake bit" on her pods since the beginning, as she had a failure back in 2004, when she was only 4 years old. I'm a bit surprised at the continued problems, as the pods get new bearing/seal sub-assemblies at each drydock, and these sub-assemblies are rotated through all of ABB's clients that have the same size pods (the old one comes off the ship, goes back to ABB for overhaul, and is then kept for the next ship that needs one). The Star's pods and control system (which it sounds like this failure is in the control system) are among some of the oldest of this type in service, and it may just be that we are starting to see the end of the service life for some major components, that have not been seen before, and have not happened to younger units, so the manufacturer isn't aware of the need to renew components at this time.

Certainly sounds like it. I've been reading that their newer X models are a lot more reliable with bearings changeable in normal dock. The Star experience could have a lot of cruise lines looking closely at their older pods...

Anyway, not as bad as our Royal Navy who have a whole class of new destroyers (type 45) whose engines can't handle warm climates apparently!

Certainly sounds like it. I've been reading that their newer X models are a lot more reliable with bearings changeable in normal dock. The Star experience could have a lot of cruise lines looking closely at their older pods...

Anyway, not as bad as our Royal Navy who have a whole class of new destroyers (type 45) whose engines can't handle warm climates apparently!

Even the older V model azipods are becoming more reliable, as the manufacturer gains data on mechanical stress and metallurgy for the bearings. It has always been a problem of upping the power ahead of the length of service experience necessary to guarantee performance. Only the thrust bearings are renewable without dry docking, the roller bearings still need to be done in dock, regardless of which model is there.

Makes sense..I'm sure ABB are gaining lots of data from this! And Rolls Royce are probably grinning from ear to ear 😉

Silver linings....

I worked on the Rolls Royce pods some years back, they had some problems with oil leakage but not too many electrical problems. As a marine electrician and motor winder I saw some interesting situations.

Back in the day our motto was

"Armature Winders solve problems you don't know you have - in ways you can't understand"

While it is no doubt a very expensive job to replace the old azipods with brand

new propulsion systems and it is then not financial provident to do just that on

an old ship; but until NCL has replacement ships built they are stuck with what they have.

Then again having the thoughts of replacing this medium size ship with the

-AWAY class floating amusement park and questionable ability to fill in where

the small or medium size ship does the cruising job best leaves me wondering

just what is the big picture at NCL for the future.

All this recent piloting around on -1- azipod and the amount of money and other

compensation paid to the displeasure of the cruising customers when maybe

NCL could have just fixed the problem with NEW equipment. Maybe the port

repairs are cheaper in Asian ports but the reputation of NCL is sullied by keep

putting off real lasting repairs. The NCL JOY will joining the fleet soon and as

I have read it is designated for the Asian South Pacific Ocean and then the

NCL STAR will be pulled back to something in the Northern Hemisphere ???

Meanwhile back at the ranch NCL just keeps their customers in where do we

sail tomorrow - what ports will be missed - will the cruise stay be in one port

as repairs are made to find out that one was not the fix.

If possible NCL should consider bringing in a whole new Azipod on board a

Cargo airplane 747 Freighter or as needed AN224 or 226. The expense would

be worth it to put cruising back where it belongs - a pleasant worry free

experience along the lines I want to come back and do this again !

Comments appreciated and NCL if you have an Official reading this take note !

And unfortunately it is pouring rain so the passengers won't be happy at all especially as they have been given free trips to the GBR.

Thats awesome that NCL have offered free trips to the GBR. That may well be the highlight of their cruise which goes a long way to making one happy :):)

Thats awesome that NCL have offered free trips to the GBR. That may well be the highlight of their cruise which goes a long way to making one happy :):)

Quoting on the earlier statement to this...I must have missed that announcement but we weren't offered free trips to the GBR. We were offered a free shuttle service into Cairns since we tendered a but away from it...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quoting on the earlier statement to this...I must have missed that announcement but we weren't offered free trips to the GBR. We were offered a free shuttle service into Cairns since we tendered a but away from it...

That's interesting because l had several couples cancelling tours as they said they were given free trips to the GBR.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

That's interesting because l had several couples cancelling tours as they said they were given free trips to the GBR.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Looks like some are getting it and others aren't. That isn't going to please some people.

Edited by MicCanberra

While it is no doubt a very expensive job to replace the old azipods with brand

new propulsion systems and it is then not financial provident to do just that on

an old ship; but until NCL has replacement ships built they are stuck with what they have.

Then again having the thoughts of replacing this medium size ship with the

-AWAY class floating amusement park and questionable ability to fill in where

the small or medium size ship does the cruising job best leaves me wondering

just what is the big picture at NCL for the future.

All this recent piloting around on -1- azipod and the amount of money and other

compensation paid to the displeasure of the cruising customers when maybe

NCL could have just fixed the problem with NEW equipment. Maybe the port

repairs are cheaper in Asian ports but the reputation of NCL is sullied by keep

putting off real lasting repairs. The NCL JOY will joining the fleet soon and as

I have read it is designated for the Asian South Pacific Ocean and then the

NCL STAR will be pulled back to something in the Northern Hemisphere ???

Meanwhile back at the ranch NCL just keeps their customers in where do we

sail tomorrow - what ports will be missed - will the cruise stay be in one port

as repairs are made to find out that one was not the fix.

If possible NCL should consider bringing in a whole new Azipod on board a

Cargo airplane 747 Freighter or as needed AN224 or 226. The expense would

be worth it to put cruising back where it belongs - a pleasant worry free

experience along the lines I want to come back and do this again !

Comments appreciated and NCL if you have an Official reading this take note !

First off, "upgrading" the azipods to the newer model would most likely require a complete restructuring of the hull framework where the pods mount, so as you say, this is not really economically viable.

Secondly, not sure what "real lasting repairs" means. If your mechanic repairs the timing belt on your car, and then a couple of years later has to repair a leaking valve seal, was the timing belt not a "real lasting repair". To the best of my knowledge, no two failures of the Star's azipods have been repeated failures, and one was caused by poor workmanship at the US shipyard where the pods were overhauled, by the US shipyard workers, and under the supervision of the manufacturer's tech reps.

Thirdly, ABB does not keep complete azipods sitting around "on the shelf", just in case one is needed somewhere. They are built to order, so getting one would require somewhere in the 6-12 month time frame, depending on the current production schedule, and the fact that the older V model is no longer made.

And finally, I'm not convinced the latest failure is in the azipod, as you must understand that a great deal of the control system needed to operate the pod is not in the pod, but up in the ship. Any failure of a major component of this control system will render the azipod inoperable.

The captain said at the town hall that it was a coil of some sort (if he was specific, it went over my head) that burned out and they didn't know why. Technicians have come on board and will fabricate over the coming weeks

The captain said at the town hall that it was a coil of some sort (if he was specific, it went over my head) that burned out and they didn't know why. Technicians have come on board and will fabricate over the coming weeks

I heard of a similar problem on the USS Voyager with its warp coils. While I am not an engineer, I believe that warp coils are an integral part of a ship's warp drive. Mounted within the warp nacelles, the coils used the plasma generated by the warp core to create a subspace displacement field that allows propulsion. Warp coils were typically composed of cast verterium cortenide surrounding a core of densified tungsten-cobalt-magnesium. Hence, it takes a significant lead time to manufacture a replacement coil. I wish you a long and prosperous cruise.

I heard of a similar problem on the USS Voyager with its warp coils. While I am not an engineer, I believe that warp coils are an integral part of a ship's warp drive. Mounted within the warp nacelles, the coils used the plasma generated by the warp core to create a subspace displacement field that allows propulsion. Warp coils were typically composed of cast verterium cortenide surrounding a core of densified tungsten-cobalt-magnesium. Hence, it takes a significant lead time to manufacture a replacement coil. I wish you a long and prosperous cruise.

Interesting theory!

And unfortunately it is pouring rain so the passengers won't be happy at all especially as they have been given free trips to the GBR.

It is the tropics in the wet season. At least it isn't cold!

And son-of-a- ....... I'm beaming. Thanks also to the Chief for his explanations and reasoned comments.

Edited by Port Power