Are we being ripped off?

wassup4565

We will be arriving back from our ten-day cruise to FL on Friday, Feb 24/17 in the morning. Our flight back to Canada does not leave until 7:40 pm. We decided to rent a car, so we can safely stash our luggage. We will use the time to visit a friend nearby and do some shopping for items we can't buy in Canada. Then we want to drive to FLL airport, drop off the car, and fly home.

Enterprise has offered to rent us a car for $25.99 plus some taxes. There will also be a "drop" fee of $50.00 to pick us up at the port and take us to get the car, which we can then return later at the airport. Altogether, then, this will cost us about $80.00. Any advice will be very welcome.

We will be arriving back from our ten-day cruise to FL on Friday, Feb 24/17 in the morning. Our flight back to Canada does not leave until 7:40 pm. We decided to rent a car, so we can safely stash our luggage. We will use the time to visit a friend nearby and do some shopping for items we can't buy in Canada. Then we want to drive to FLL airport, drop off the car, and fly home.

Enterprise has offered to rent us a car for $25.99 plus some taxes. There will also be a "drop" fee of $50.00 to pick us up at the port and take us to get the car, which we can then return later at the airport. Altogether, then, this will cost us about $80.00. Any advice will be very welcome.

Am I understanding you correctly...Charge you $50.00 to pick you up at which port...PE or POM and take you to the Enterprise rental office :confused::confused: If you're arriving at POM just take a taxi to the rental office...If you're arriving into PE there should be a free shuttle (most rental agencies have them) or take a taxi. Have you checked with any other rental companies ?

Edited by Ashland

OK, I had a few minutes so I checked OP's itinerary and it is Serenade from Fort Lauderdale, returning same.

If you rent a car from Enterprise, according to one local resident they are part of the shared shuttle bus which services Port Everglades. You might have to show them your confirmation but you should have no issue with taking the bus to the airport to rent your car.

Alternatively, here is some more information:

ONLY Alamo/National/Enterprise run a shared shuttle bus from Fort Lauderdale Airport.

Off site offices include:

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit.

Enterprise in the Hilton Marina on 17th Street

Contact them to see about a shuttle or take a cab to their office.

EDITED TO ADD: Reading my own information, I wonder if OP has the car reserved at the Enterprise on 17th Street, thus incurring the $50.00 charge, which I think is preposterous, by the way. Check around. We rent from Alamo and they're awesome.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

OP...since it now seems you are indeed arriving into PE...you might consider Thrifty/Dollar they have a free shuttle that will pick up at the port and take you to their office which is just outside the gate (actually the closest company) you can then return it to FLL...Agree the $50.00 added expense is not necessary to incur at all. Best of luck.

We had a late flight out of Fl when we were there a few weeks ago, I looked at prices for the car rentals near the port and those at the airport and found the rental price from Enterprise at the airport to be lowest so we booked a car with them and just took a cab from the port to the airport. Cab ride was $20 with tip, super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a late flight out of Fl when we were there a few weeks ago, I looked at prices for the car rentals near the port and those at the airport and found the rental price from Enterprise at the airport to be lowest so we booked a car with them and just took a cab from the port to the airport. Cab ride was $20 with tip, super easy.

If you're a member of Costco I hope you compared their pricing too on your rental...regardless, glad you feel you got a good deal...always great to hear some very recent experiences.

If you're a member of Costco I hope you compared their pricing too on your rental...regardless, glad you feel you got a good deal...always great to hear some very recent experiences.

Yup, booked the enterprise rental via Costco [emoji16] they almost always have the best prices.

You wasted 20 bucks. Enterprise, Alama and National have a free PE shuttle to the airport. Enterprise also has a rental location at the Hilton Marina on 17th Street.

You wasted 20 bucks. Enterprise, Alama and National have a free PE shuttle to the airport. Enterprise also has a rental location at the Hilton Marina on 17th Street.

Sometimes the few $$'s spent on a taxi rather than waiting for the free shuttle is well spent ... JMHO ;)

Sometimes the few $$'s spent on a taxi rather than waiting for the free shuttle is well spent ... JMHO ;)

I'll second that! Waiting with my 2 young boys can be quite challenging, absolutely worth the extra $ to avoid.

We like to use Budget, with BCD code S208200 using an Amex card.

A dummy booking for pickup at the 17th Street location with FLL drop off for a full size comes up to $41.29 USD all in.

Pickup at 9AM on 24FEB2017 and drop off at 6PM the same day. Just call the local office before your cruise and let them know you will need shuttle service.

I am really so sorry to be so stupid or naive, but I don't even know what you mean by mock booking. Please, somebody just tell me how to book a car so I don't get ripped off. I don't know this port, or US rental car and shuttle arrangements in FLL.

It's OK; by a mock booking, I mean a pretend booking. Enter all your information and it will give you the price. :)

I gave you some info in my previous post; here it is again. Use the website for each company and do a mock booking, or use a website like Expedia or something similar to have them run the search for you. :)

ONLY Alamo/National/Enterprise run a shared shuttle bus from Fort Lauderdale Airport.

Off site offices include:

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit.

Enterprise in the Hilton Marina on 17th Street

Contact them to see about a shuttle or take a cab to their office.