Amsterdam, Zuiderdam Port Everglades/Veendam San Diego Sail-Aways January 4th, 2017

Boytjie

I think that the agreed upon rules for us in the condos is 8-9 for air horns and midnight for bells. You probably don't pick the bells up on the webcam, but there are a few bell ringers.

I think that the agreed upon rules for us in the condos is 8-9 for air horns and midnight for bells. You probably don't pick the bells up on the webcam, but there are a few bell ringers.

I often hear the bell ringers. They keep ringing even when the captain is not doing his part by tooting!:D

Well, you did better than I did, just one quick view of the aft. veensd.jpg.4b983f9fe222becd7efff4cf369b272b.jpg

Ironically, earlier in this thread I listed the Silver Whisper as one of the ships at the bottom of my list to return to and it was in SD right next to the Veendam today.

Roy

Out of curiosity why do Grand Voyages leave at night opposed to leaving at 6 or 7?

Good question. I'll bet that when Kathi and/or Roy come back they can answer that. Both have been on Grand Voyages. I'd like to know the answer to that one too.

Out of curiosity why do Grand Voyages leave at night opposed to leaving at 6 or 7?

I would guess that part of it has to do with the tremendous amount of luggage they have to screen, way more than a regular cruise. probably more spiffing up of the ship for the WC too.

Two guests coming from the airport??? I would have had a stroke by now if I was just arriving in FLL and my world cruise was scheduled to leave in 40 minutes.:eek::eek::eek:

But the airport is only 10 minutes away, plenty of time. :D This from someone who always arrives at least one day early. :p

I have always heard that it takes longer to get all the provisions on but not sure if that is the real reason or one of many. Princess was able to get her world cruise out by 5 yesterday.

I know today that the President of HAL was coming for some ceremony and dinner(?) - some really long time cruisers or something are on board. This was according to one of the deck officers - plus new captain on board today - Capt Mercer.

I know today that the President of HAL was coming for some ceremony and dinner(?) - some really long time cruisers or something are on board. This was according to one of the deck officers - plus new captain on board today - Capt Mercer.

One of the blogs said that the President had to leave at 5 for his flight.

Here's another question--what time is muster? The usual is something like 3:15 for a scheduled 4pm departure. Really if you go any later, you're starting to interfere with dinner and bedtime. Also I completely agree with scrapnana, i don't care if the airplane lands right on the ship, no way do i want to cut it that close and risk missing my world cruise! that's nuts.

Good question. I'll bet that when Kathi and/or Roy come back they can answer that. Both have been on Grand Voyages. I'd like to know the answer to that one too.

My one world cruise was on Cunard (out of Southampton). We were scheduled to leave at 6 but did not leave until 8. The next year I was on the first segment of the world cruise but the ship did not even get back to Southampton until 3 pm (rough weather in the English Channel). I boarded just after 7 pm and we left around 12:30am.

The World and the Grands usually leave late...sometimes as late as 11PM (ET) from the east coast. There are a lot of provisions to get on along with the luggage, etc. A couple years ago they waited til the last second for people to come aboard....imagine coming down for the WC in January...from Nova Scotia the DAY the cruise leaves! That's just nuts.

Muster is the usual time; even though the ship leaves much later, you still have to be on by the "usual" time.

I'm waiting for the ship to sail (watching webcam) and I am sooooo stinkin' jealous..... We've been on 3 WC's but I tell ya, it never gets "old!!!

Edited by cruzingnut