Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

What if you don't have a smart phone? Some of us still have the dumb phones;)

Maybe you can borrow an old one or two from someone who upgraded recently. It doesn't have to have active service on it since it'll only be connecting to the Princess intranet. Any old android or iPhone will do.

Or even those who want to lock their device in the safe and de stress?

You must have it to open your cabin door from the corridor. Obviously you don't need it to open the cabin door if you are already inside but, in order to enter the room, you either need to have your medallion or have someone inside open the door for you. Exactly like with a cruise card.

You must have it to open your cabin door from the corridor. Obviously you don't need it to open the cabin door if you are already inside but, in order to enter the room, you either need to have your medallion or have someone inside open the door for you. Exactly like with a cruise card.

But I'm talking about the device (phone or tablet) that you need to get the full use of the medallion.

But I'm talking about the device (phone or tablet) that you need to get the full use of the medallion.

Exactly. The portals (TV or ship portals) take care of that. You can also use a smartphone, tablet, or laptop but don't need to have one.

Here's an idea: Instead of a gizmo that unlocks my door (I know that would be like totally awesome, but I think I can still manage to unlock it myself, thanks), how about a device that prevents your inconsiderate neighbors from invariably slamming their door, every time, without fail, 24/7?

I really like this idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly. The portals (TV or ship portals) take care of that. You can also use a smartphone, tablet, or laptop but don't need to have one.

One of the benefits they are touting is being able to order a drink from your lounger, not sure how I do that without a tablet or smartphone.

Here's an idea: Instead of a gizmo that unlocks my door (I know that would be like totally awesome, but I think I can still manage to unlock it myself, thanks), how about a device that prevents your inconsiderate neighbors from invariably slamming their door, every time, without fail, 24/7?

Wouldn't that be nice.

But one statement from Princess I read said that the medallions will improve safety. I was thinking that meant they could determine your location if missing, for example, or quickly determine if a passenger went overboard. Perhaps they will not be that sophisticated, though, and they just meant cabin access would be more secure, or something of that nature.

All they can do is locate medallions. You cannot assume that the people assigned to the medallions are anywhere near them.

I can see where they could quickly locate a mis-placed purse if someone had their medallion in that purse.

Next Art Auction tomorrow 10:00am in the Atrium???

Can't you imagine, everyone's medallion beeping at the same time in the theatre for an important message like this.

The medallions have no sound. They also have no screens.

The beeping or vibration would be to a smart-phone the passenger has with him/her.

The medallions have no sound. They also have no screens.

The beeping or vibration would be to a smart-phone the passenger has with him/her.

I don't think they will have push notifications like that and, if they did (highly unlikely) the certainly wouldn't give them an audible alert.

You are totally correct about the medallions not having any type of interface. They are just a passive device. The sensors can "see" the medallion and identify it by it's unique identifier. The main computer system will know that the identifier associated with that particular medallion is also identified with a specific passenger. That's it.

One of the benefits they are touting is being able to order a drink from your lounger, not sure how I do that without a tablet or smartphone.

My understanding is that you can set up a future drink order on the tv in your cabin. Just tell it what kind of drink and the time. The cocktail server will find your location via the medallian you have on and deliver the drink you ordered.

Al from Minneapolis

My understanding is that you can set up a future drink order on the tv in your cabin. Just tell it what kind of drink and the time. The cocktail server will find your location via the medallian you have on and deliver the drink you ordered.

Al from Minneapolis

If it's not done via my smart phone, forget it. I don't know when I'll want a drink or what I'll want for that matter.

Ordering a lunchtime drink at 8 AM doesn't work for me.

If it's not done via my smart phone, forget it. I don't know when I'll want a drink or what I'll want for that matter.

Ordering a lunchtime drink at 8 AM doesn't work for me.

A bloody mary or screwdriver works for me. [emoji13] Most likely, I will also use my smart phone. The alternative I mentioned is for travelers without a smart phone.

Al from Minneapolis

A bloody mary or screwdriver works for me. [emoji13] Most likely, I will also use my smart phone. The alternative I mentioned is for travelers without a smart phone.

Al from Minneapolis

Oh. Gotcha. :o

They've got to get with the times. We did, almost by being forced.

Try buying a flip phone & your selection is pretty limited.

I'll say we'll never go back to the old style with all the new features and now on the ships we'll get to utilize it even more. :D

Oh. Gotcha. :o

They've got to get with the times. We did, almost by being forced.

Try buying a flip phone & your selection is pretty limited.

I'll say we'll never go back to the old style with all the new features and now on the ships we'll get to utilize it even more. :D

Not everyone wants "to get with the times" and those who don't may be very happy with the "old style" and not need or want "all the new features".......IMHO:D

Not everyone wants "to get with the times" and those who don't may be very happy with the "old style" and not need or want "all the new features".......IMHO:D

It's not for everyone that's for sure but when I found out just what I had been missing out as well as being cheaper in the long run, I had to go with it.

While this is indisputably true, times do change. People used to say "Get a horse!!!" because they didn't like, want, or need one of those newfangled automobiles. People railed against technology and "that damned Internet". (OK, there is a lot of junk on the Internet but we all seem to be using it here.) Zip codes were seen by many as an unnecessary inconvenience. Why do I need to know somebody's zip code when the mail has always gotten there in the past? What's up with these darned area codes for phone numbers?

If you don't want a smart phone then, by all means, don't get one. Just don't be unhappy that you can't access things that require such a device. The rest of us aren't going to stand still so that others don't need to change. I love having GPS guidance. I love the convenience of texting. If I call someone on the phone it's like demanding they answer right now. If I text they get the message but aren't required to do anything immediately. I love it when I, or someone else, has one of those "What was the name of that guy?" moments or something like that. I touch my phone's screen and ask the question by simply speaking to the phone and I get an answer. Modern technology is amazing and enabling.

My wife goes to the Knitters and Natters meetings in the mornings onboard to meet with like minded folks who sew, knit, crochet, tat, embroider, etc. I will absolutely love being able to find out from my cabin if she's still there and then order a Bloody Mary to be ready for me when I meet up with her. It's annoying to walk clear across the ship only to find she left the meeting 3 minutes earlier and I just missed her. I'm really looking forward to the new medallions.

Resistance to change is inevitable. It is also useless. Nobody is required to own a TV, a car, a microwave, or any of the modern conveniences we all take for granted these days. If you don't like the medallion then just use it exactly as you have always used your cruise card. Nobody can fault you for that.

Edited by Thrak

I can't believe how convenient my smart phone has made life from a GPS, road accidents ahead/police, pricing products in stores, severe weather announcements, messaging photo's in stores to my wife, reading the news while waiting for someone, watching my movies anytime I want (on a ship waiting for show to start), a camera with video recording, etc. and now on the ships for just about everything.

Sure I can get by without it & revert to 10 years ago but why?

I'm not tethered to it by any means but it's made my life simpler in loads of ways.