Jacket Optional ?

Pennbank

Informal (Jacket Optional):

The Informal (Jacket Optional) dress code amendment applies to Queen Victoria's summer fly Mediterranean season on embarkation days only, in Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice. Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth will continue to have the standard Formal and Informal (Jacket Required) dress codes. The ship's newspaper will confirm the dress code of the day.

Guests who have Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice as a port during their voyage and are already settled in on board are encouraged to wear a jacket.

Happened to us on a 4 day Hamburg trip. Formal was optional on the second day as many were leaving and other joining in Hamburg next day. On their second day, our fourth day, formal was again optional because many were leaving in Southampton next day.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Happened to us on a 4 day Hamburg trip. Formal was optional on the second day as many were leaving and other joining in Hamburg next day. On their second day, our fourth day, formal was again optional because many were leaving in Southampton next day.

We all know about formal/informal

I am mentioning about an informal/formal departing Hamburg at temperatures around minus -1C at 1830 with jackets optional ?

Informal (Jacket Optional):

The Informal (Jacket Optional) dress code amendment applies to Queen Victoria's summer fly Mediterranean season on embarkation days only, in Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice. Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth will continue to have the standard Formal and Informal (Jacket Required) dress codes. The ship's newspaper will confirm the dress code of the day.

Guests who have Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice as a port during their voyage and are already settled in on board are encouraged to wear a jacket.

Well that does not make sense as this is from Queen Elizabeth ? In Hamburg at -1C !

Edited by Pennbank

It probably is due to Flights, as it is the Start of The World Cruise for Queen Elizabeth, however I would have thought with a departure time of only 1830 it would have had a very limited effect about jackets. Especially with the cold weather.

It's not the departure time that's critical, it's the embarkation time.

You have no idea when the last bus/train/plane/car was due to arrive.

Well if the departure time is 1830 then surely that must mean that passengers are all aboard and that buses/trains etc had arrived . The General emergency drill is at 1730

It's quite confusing

Outside the restaurants they say one thing, in the Daily programme they say two things.

Front page says Formal/ Informal and back page says Dress Requirement :Informal

IMG_0901.jpg.264a096618dbbba25e2c350b333bf0a0.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg.41daaa475b0d8e9bd93d3e0bd3e50bea.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg.0211a68f0e7b4ba63a5b93cb198e4507.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

It's quite confusing

Outside the restaurants they say one thing, in the Daily programme they say two things.

Front page says Formal/ Informal and back page says Dress Requirement :Informal

I get the impression these 'unusual' [not on the daily programme] dress code decisions are taken late on.

A couple of years ago QV made an extremely early [around 12 hours early] arrival into Muscat. As we docked late afternoon, the dress code was changed on the board outside the restaurants to 'no jacket required'. We assumed this was because evening excursions had been hurriedly arranged and jacket/tie attire wasn't appropriate in these circumstances.

We never did find out the definitive reason, but it was interesting to see at least half the gentlemen in QG wore jackets.

but it was interesting to see at least half the gentlemen in QG wore jackets.

But men are not going to not wear a jacket just because it's optional. I've now taken to wearing a jacket quite a lot of the time whilst going out even just into the town shopping because it's become very on trend for the middle aged gent about town !

The majority of seasoned Cunarders have no problem with a flexible dress code when common sense prevails, ie in very hot climates e.g. the Gulf area etc.

What we have here with this evenings dress code on the QE is a total mish mash, 'Three' variations that could have easily been avoided.

*Formal

*Informal

or

*Jacket not required at all ?

I expect the notice is another example of a printing error , and should read Informal, 'Jacket Required, Tie optional'

Agree with Pennbank , minus 1C and a jacket is optional , what's all this about ?

Another case of the Queen Elizabeth doing their own thing again. Don't get me started on this. ;)

This does indeed show signs of something hastily put together.

Note the first attachment (which appears to be the sign by the entrance to the restaurant) states "ark business suit". I wonder if that means one is allowed to dress like Noah in Old Testament attire? :D

Evidently, even Cunard is having to go so far down market to fill their summer Med cruises that they realize the folks they are selling to do not have a wardrobe that contains a jacket. Oh well as long as they keep the NCL and Carnival main line attire codes confined to the Med. Hopefully they will not also strip the tables in the dinning room of the linen

Evidently, even Cunard is having to go so far down market to fill their summer Med cruises that they realize the folks they are selling to do not have a wardrobe that contains a jacket. Oh well as long as they keep the NCL and Carnival main line attire codes confined to the Med. Hopefully they will not also strip the tables in the dinning room of the linen

This was in Hamburg in January! The jacket optional dress code on Mediterranean cruises is for the first night only when luggage can be delivered late.

Bell Boy

"The majority of seasoned Cunarders have no problem with a flexible dress code when common sense prevails, ie in very hot climates e.g. the Gulf area etc.

What we have here with this evenings dress code on the QE is a total mish mash, 'Three' variations that could have easily been avoided.

*Formal

*Informal

or

*Jacket not required at all ?

I expect the notice is another example of a printing error , and should read Informal, 'Jacket Required, Tie optional'

Agree with Pennbank , minus 1C and a jacket is optional , what's all this about ?

Another case of the Queen Elizabeth doing their own thing again. Don't get me started on this. "

Assuring that when after 6 pm came, everyone I saw in the Restaurants had jackets on.Also quite a few were wearing dinner jackets with ladies in their beautiful dresses. Another smart evening on board . You wonder why all the printed confusion ? However the passengers knew what to wear.

Edited by Pennbank

However the passengers knew what to wear.

As [looking back at my photographs] did the majority of gentlemen in the restaurant [QG] when the advised code said nothing about 'optional', just

'Casual

No jacket required'

although the board was revised later in the afternoon to

'Casual

No jacket required [no shorts or jeans]' [which as an aside would indicate shorts are permitted on a normal 'casual' code :)]

The heavens didn't fall, no-one fainted at the sight of quite a few well dressed and jacketless chaps and Cunard life continued.

although the board was revised later in the afternoon to

'Casual

No jacket required [no shorts or jeans]' [which as an aside would indicate shorts are permitted on a normal 'casual' code :)]

Or it says to those who think that a "casual" code in the restaurant allows jeans and shorts, that they are wrong :)

I assume we can certainly agree it's ambiguous!

We certainly can and can I say jacketless chaps or not, the ladies, as usual, scrubbed up well! ;)

The Muscat early arrival is the only time we've ever encountered a 'Casual' evening dress code, and we have a few Cunard trips under our belts. I wouldn't like to see it become a regular feature during a cruise, but I can see it has its place on [rare] occasions.