Free WiFi at ports?

marc_b2001

Hi fellow cruisers, will be on Vista in Feb. and would like to know at which of these ports; Grand Turk - San Juan - St Kitts - St Marteen, can I find free Wi-Fi and where is it found (beach, bar, restaurant?) Thanks!

Hi fellow cruisers, will be on Vista in Feb. and would like to know at which of these ports; Grand Turk - San Juan - St Kitts - St Marteen, can I find free Wi-Fi and where is it found (beach, bar, restaurant?) Thanks!

St Kitts and St Maartin have bars and/or restaurants close to the docks. The "free" wifi means they expect you to buy something, but the time is unlimited. On NCL I saw the free wifi signs from the ship.:D

Grand Turk Margaritaville has "free Wifi" but very slow. Same with FROOTS in the cruise port Jack's Shack is password protected and you need to buy a drink to get the password. Not sure about other spots along the beach front.

If you head into town there's a hot spot at the Library (little pink building) but again it's not "free" you have the taxi fare $10 RT pp to add as well.

San Juan, you'll need to find a bar or restaurant or resort. There's a Starbucks close to the piers. The plazas like Plaza Colon, have wifi hot spots but they are totally unprotected.

In St Maartin, there's an internet café at the cruise terminal. The Greenhouse, Pirates in Paradise, Front Street Cafe and McDonalds in Phillipsburg all have wifi. I believe many other bars locally have or are getting wifi as well. You'll need to ask if you don't see any signs.

Orient Beach in St. Maarten has free wifi, as I've used it several times and never had to purchase food or drinks. Wifi worked great.

Grand Turk has free wifi but I was never able to access it because its to slow.

We always ask MDR staff the evening before a port - they always know :D

Also ..... San Juan and St Thomas are both US territories so most US cell phones work there just like they do in the continental US. Our Sprint and Verizon both have been "free" there but I'd advise checking with your company ahead of time.:)

Edited by summersigh

Grand Turk -- go into the plaza area and find the milkshake/smoothie shop. And the wifi there was free in February 2016

St Marteen never did find free wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to the many great suggestions here you might also have cell service from your phone carrier. My T-Mobile plan includes unlimited data throughout the Caribbean and Mexico - works just like I was at home. I know other carriers have similar plans so check with yours.

BUT you mostly only get 2g or 3g speeds. In a few places I was offered upgraded speed for a small fee but I never needed it for the little bit of texting I was doing.

Sometimes, 3g speed is still better than the wifi speeds when you're sharing it with all the other cruisers in port.