Dress code question

carlyshenk

There were four or five wearing a tux in December. I wore a long sleeved dress shirt like about 50%. About 35% had a suit or sport jacket and 10% in short sleeved shirts. I don't think you would feel awkward even though not many wear tuxes because it's still a dressy evening.

This was the third cruise I have done with Evening Chic and the number of tux and suits has been less each time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, Charles4515! That was the reason I asked the question. I just wondered if it was worth my husband packing his tux and not feeling like he was the only man wearing formal wear. I guess eventually, formal dress will disappear. So sad. We love to dress up and there's just nowhere else to do that for us except cruises. I guess everything changes. :(

There were four or five wearing a tux in December. I wore a long sleeved dress shirt like about 50%. About 35% had a suit or sport jacket and 10% in short sleeved shirts. I don't think you would feel awkward even though not many wear tuxes because it's still a dressy evening.

This was the third cruise I have done with Evening Chic and the number of tux and suits has been less each time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, Charles4515! That was the reason I asked the question. I just wondered if it was worth my husband packing his tux and not feeling like he was the only man wearing formal wear. I guess eventually, formal dress will disappear. So sad. We love to dress up and there's just nowhere else to do that for us except cruises. I guess everything changes. :(

Carly

We are just off 2 weeks on the Pacific Princess.

I don't know if it was the small ship, the long cruise or the holidays but we had 3 formal nights and the majority of men were wearing tuxes on this cruise.

So this still is somewhere that it's still happening!

That said - I don't expect my husband will be packing his tux for our Celebrity cruises this February.

Edited by chamima

Agree, you will not feel out of place. On our recent holiday cruise I did wear a tux and DW dressed it all up, others not so much

However on some nights in the MDR it's really gone downhill. Girls in cut off jeans, and guys in plain white t-shirts. Maybe I'm an old foggy but that is pushing it

This is not so much about the dress code, I understand that. We cruised last Jan/Feb and my husband wore his tux and I wore a long dress on the appropriate evenings and we didn't feel "out of place". We're cruising again next month and I was wondering if that's still the case. We do enjoy dressing up a few nights, but we don't want to be the only ones. So, my question is are there enough people who still wear formal wear or would we feel awkward if we dress up?

We prefer to not go the tux/evening route on formal night. But we enjoy watching the ladies and gentlemen who do. We feel like we're watching a red carpet event. Don't worry about others, do what you're comfortable with and enjoy your cruise.

On twentytwo days of cruising on the Eclipse just last month we went through five Chic nights. I noticed very few men in tuxes and many of them weren't really fully "tuxed", as they were not wearing dress shoes, cummerbunds and studs. Celebrity has killed the tradition, and though I'm a bit sad to see it go, I sure am glad I don't have to pack the paraphenalia any more. I can sit at home and look at our dress up pictures from past cruises. :) Lord knows we have plenty of them.

We are sitting on the Eclipse as I type. :) Have had one chic night so far. I made a note to check out apparel. It ran the gamut from tuxes to golf shirts for the men. Mostly men in sport coats or nicer shirts. But yes, some tuxes or white dinner jackets. (And one kilt.) Not many formal wear.

Women in cocktail dresses to nice pants outfits. I could definitely see that it was a dressier night. But not formal. I saw not one long gown.

This is a 14 night Caribbean Cruise.

we were on Solstice in November, there were plenty of people wearing formal wear, also plenty in casual chic....no one looked out of place. on our cruise there were 3 chic nights we went all out formal on just one of them, and dressed up but not formal on the others. I even managed to get a photo with the captain the night I wore my formal gown so very happy with that.

you will definitely not be out of place

cheers

belinda

Sailed on Connie (BTW we loved her) last February right after the changeover to Evening Chic and saw MANY more tuxes and gowns than we did aboard the Eclipse last month. Both were Caribbean trips. Very few were in formal wear, but most people were more dressed up than the other nights. Saw more sport jackets on men than tuxes and very few gowns on women, but a fair amount of cocktail attire. Do what makes you happy. It's your vacation that you're sharing with several thousand strangers.;)

Edited by Luvcrusn

;)You could get divorced, then have a formal wedding aboard ship! Just kidding. Make yourselves happy and enjoy your cruise.:D

We just disembarked 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Reflection.

2 Evening Chic nights. Most men were wearing collared shirts and slacks. Table next to us, one man had ripped jeans and a t shirt and one of the women wore gym shorts and a t shirt. The table across from them was suit and tie and evening gown. It runs the gamut. Wear what makes you happy.