Flight time to Miami, cutting it close?

clarkie138

I want to reserve my flights and the price is great for my cruise out of Miami. Thinking of flying into Fort Lauderdale and arriving at 11:03. Is that cutting it too close between baggage claim, travel time and check in? worried about a delay as well. Thanks.

I want to reserve my flights and the price is great for my cruise out of Miami. Thinking of flying into Fort Lauderdale and arriving at 11:03. Is that cutting it too close between baggage claim, travel time and check in? worried about a delay as well. Thanks.

That would be way to close for me. If you can't fly in the day before, try to get the earliest flight that morning. There can be delays for any number of reasons and sometimes for no reason at all.

Flying from NY, no conections. Earliest flight would get me there at 9:35. I guess better to be safe than sorry.

assuming you're flying in the NY winter, your only issue is weather (snow/ice).

i like to go on vacations relaxed and without stress.

if you are flying in winter and snow/ice is a possibility, then the earlier the flight the better. i'd even fly down the night before to build in any possible weather delays you could encounter. that's just me being risk averse and spending a few $k's on vacations and not wanting to miss my cruise.

when i fly to Miami from California, i budget arriving 1-3 days in advance of my cruise. it's just more vacation time in Miami to enjoy before cruising. this way, i'm not late or delayed to my ship.

Too close if you're flying into Ft. Laud....not if you were flying into Miami. It can take about 45 mins. to get to Miami, especially, if there's traffic....and you still have to claim bags, get through the crowds and get a cab.....

If you can arrive the day prior, do it. If you can't, take an earlier flight, or fly into Miami.

Thanks. I'll be flying in August so no worries about snow and ice. and the only flight before it lands at 9:35. Earlier but not much a difference. I guess better safe than sorry. Thanks all.

Better choice by arriving earlier ( 9:35). No need stressing day of cruise!

In 2016, I flew 3 times. I was delayed two times. Out of the 2 times, I missed a connecting flight, and arrived at final destination 10 hours late with no luggage. None of these involved a cruise, but if they did......

I would go with the earlier flight or the night before.

I get the 1st flight that morning out of NY to MIA or FLL and try to land in the same airport as the seaport I'm cruising out of by 10AM. I've done this for over 30 of my cruises. I fly direct, non stop and usually with just a carry on, minimizing luggage delays.

On several of my flights, I've watched while people who were flying in prior to the day of the cruise and got cancelled due to weather were frantically trying to get a stand by seat while I had confirmed seating. Just luck of the draw with the weather, im any season, and I'm fortunate that NY to MIA is like a shuttle with so many flights.

One day, maybe, I'll miss a cruise and I'll say I was due, but still ahead dollar wise with not paying for 30+ hotel nights, not a big deal.

Edited by evandbob

Fly in the day before.

Good friends were on the first flight of the day on Delta from Atlanta to Miami to take a cruise in June of 2015. They were due into Miami at 10:50am. The plane experienced mechanical difficulties and put down in Jacksonville. Delta didn't have any planes in Jacksonville they could use so they were supposed to send one down from Atlanta and get them into Miami by 2pm. The Delta plane never left Jacksonville until after 3pm. The Carnival check in desk at the Miami airport was closed when they arrived at 3:50pm. They collected luggage, grabbed a taxi and arrived at the pier at 4:20pm only to see the Breeze heading out the channel. They had been in contact with Carnival all day and they promised to hold the ship once they received the new flight info since there were a bunch of people on the same ship on that flight, even some who booked air through Carnival. Even though they had passports, Carnival would not give permission to catch up to the ship in the Dominican Republic (no flights into Grand Turk).

NCL did hold their ship for passengers on the same flight, but Carnival did not.

The checked into a hotel and got on the phone and managed to get on a Royal Caribbean cruise leaving the next day. Delta did change the return flight for them for no fee. They were loyal Carnival passengers until that happened, now they are Loyal to Royal.

Edited by DebJ14

I fly same day all the time. The earliest flight you can get is the best. If you absolutely have to do the flight that gets you there at 11:03, you might want to book the cruise lines transport. That way they handle having to get you there. Call carnival directly-make sure you have your flight info ready. They'll ask you for that when they book the transfer for you. Hope this helps.

And whatever you do, get the travel insurance. (I use insuremytrip). While i've not had to use it due to missed flights, have had to use it twice due to medical issues/visits. Paid for itself twice over.

And whatever you do, get the travel insurance. (I use insuremytrip). While i've not had to use it due to missed flights, have had to use it twice due to medical issues/visits. Paid for itself twice over.

Who would have thought the event at FLL would happen today.