Blow Dryer Caught Fire on Coral Princess

hkmom

The scary thing to me is that the passenger was more worried about compensation for some singed hair and not the utter disregard of the danger of a clearly malfunctioning appliance. I mean, if I were drying my hair and the dryer caused the cabin to fill with smoke, I'd PICK UP THE FREAKIN' PHONE AND DIAL 911. What the heck is wrong with people?

Fire? smoke and she didn't follow thru on board....what will happen to the next person that will be occupying that cabin am I missing something?

Like u said OP she is easy going.....but how serious was it...she should not have allowed CS on the ship to blow her off...didn't she mention something to her cabin attendant?

Call Princess CR and explain the situation so it can be escalated immediately and they can contact the ship....

I have had strans of my hair caught in the dryer once had to have my DH cut them out, everyone knows that burned hair smell...no smoke but it taught me to pay attention when I use a Princess dryer.

Edited by land lover

• 2 weeks later...

As of this morning my friend received al call from princess. She was told that there was never an incident report done onboard the ship. The princess people apologized and told her that the incident was handled terribly by the onboard crew, especially with her cabin filling with smoke. They did compensate her and gave her $600 toward her next cruise on princess. She was not looking for any compensation she never asked for it or alluded to receiving anything.

I have been a member of cruise critic for a lot of years, and I cruise at least 3 times a year. I used to post a lot, now I usually stick to the roll calls and reading reviews. The reason for this is because a large number of cruise critic members are just RUDE AND MEAN! Don't you have better things to do than insult and belittle your fellow members, this forum is to give and receive information, but apparently many posters do not know this. Think before you type and remember you are talking to real people with feelings!

Hkmom

As of this morning my friend received al call from princess. She was told that there was never an incident report done onboard the ship. The princess people apologized and told her that the incident was handled terribly by the onboard crew, especially with her cabin filling with smoke. They did compensate her and gave her $600 toward her next cruise on princess. She was not looking for any compensation she never asked for it or alluded to receiving anything.

I have been a member of cruise critic for a lot of years, and I cruise at least 3 times a year. I used to post a lot, now I usually stick to the roll calls and reading reviews. The reason for this is because a large number of cruise critic members are just RUDE AND MEAN! Don't you have better things to do than insult and belittle your fellow members, this forum is to give and receive information, but apparently many posters do not know this. Think before you type and remember you are talking to real people with feelings!

Hkmom

I'm glad to hear Princess responded in a way that your friend was satisfied with-- and hopefully they went a step further and are implementing some safety evaluations of the blow dryers onboard the fleet.

And as to the rest of your comment, I have full sympathy and understanding. I wish the forums provided a more positive experience. There are many great people here, who go out of their way to help others. And some that seem to have other agendas.

Hkmom

Terrible iincident. If it indeed happened to your friend.:eek:

Just curious, since the stateroom was full of smoke, did the stateroom smoke detector go off?

And the smoke was confined only to your friend's stateroom, and not go into the passageway? :confused:

So when the incident occurred were any of the ships officers or stateroom stewards summoned to the stateroom? Ceraintly they could verify and smell smoke if your friend had her hair singed by a defective hair dryer, and be required to complete an incident report? Yes?

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, if the Lord wills.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Are you flipping kidding me!?

No, smoke detector did not go off.

She propped door open with a shoe to vent.

She called pursers desk, they sent the room steward and engineering person came to the room, looked at the blow dryer.

Kingofcool1947, remember what you learned as a child, if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all!

Hkmom

Are you flipping kidding me!?

No, smoke detector did not go off.

She propped door open with a shoe to vent.

She called pursers desk, they sent the room steward and engineering person came to the room, looked at the blow dryer.

Kingofcool1947, remember what you learned as a child, if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all!

Hkmom

HKmom,

Humm. You seem a bit rude and defensive. Are you?:D. Read my comments again. BTW, I for one, believe your story. So I could have flipped you off, and your story, but I didn't. So lighten up. :mad:

So, the room steward and engineering officer looked at the blow dryer. And no report? :eek:

And, may you find yourself living in interesting times.

Enjoy your cruising and health in 2017, if the Lord wills.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

You are right. I just checked on their web site. I assumed that as a heat producing device that they were not allowed.

DON

Hair appliances are the exception to the rule. They don't seem to be concerned with the yards and yards of extension cords and power strips that passengers bring on either.

Hair appliances are the exception to the rule. They don't seem to be concerned with the yards and yards of extension cords and power strips that passengers bring on either.

That's great to know.

However, I couldn't find that hair appliances are the exception to the rule. Please cite the reference.

BTW, my friend always brings a bonnet hair dryer with him, but has never been questioned about bringing it aboard. Maybe just lucky? :confused:

Happy cruising and good health in 2017?, if the Lord wills.

Hkmom

Nice to know Princess has finally taken attention and action on your friend's concerns.

That's great to know.

However, I couldn't find that hair appliances are the exception to the rule. Please cite the reference.

BTW, my friend always brings a bonnet hair dryer with him, but has never been questioned about bringing it aboard. Maybe just lucky? :confused:

Happy cruising and good health in 2017?, if the Lord wills.

It's not documented as an exception. It's implied because it's not listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums