2018 Southern Caribbean- Adventure OS

SteelCityCruiser10

My wife and I are considering the southern Caribbean itinerary (7night) out of San Juan on RC adventure OS in Feb. 2018. We have always departed from a port in FL in the past so this would be a new experience for us. Anyone with recent experience embarking in San Juan? How was it? It looks like the airport is not too far. Any advice/tips? Good hotel for pre cruise 1 night stay?

Also, I've read AOS didn't quite get its renovation completed due to the hurricane while in dry dock. Specifically Chops Grille isn't finished? Thanks for any info you can provide!! Mark

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife and I are considering the southern Caribbean itinerary (7night) out of San Juan on RC adventure OS in Feb. 2018. We have always departed from a port in FL in the past so this would be a new experience for us. Anyone with recent experience embarking in San Juan? How was it? It looks like the airport is not too far. Any advice/tips? Good hotel for pre cruise 1 night stay?

Also, I've read AOS didn't quite get its renovation completed due to the hurricane while in dry dock. Specifically Chops Grille isn't finished? Thanks for any info you can provide!! Mark

Hello! As you can see in my signature, I am pretty familiar with sailing out of San Juan. In my opinion, it's the best! The airport is only about 20-30 mins from the port. We always go in a day before because we cruise in January and the likelihood of getting stranded in Kansas City is high!

We loved staying at Embassy Suites last year. It's only a couple minute walk from a gorgeous beach (Isla Verde). It was booked this year so we're staying at Hampton Inn in the same area. We've also stayed at Hilton Caribe which was awesome but a little more $$$.

I believe you are correct about Chops Grille but I think it will be done by the time you cruise. We don't use specialty dining so that's not a big deal to us. We love Adventure of the Seas. We leave in 2 weeks for our back to back cruise so we will soon find out what got done and what didn't on the ship. But in our opinion, the ship was perfectly fine before the refurbishment!

I hope this helps you a little bit!

Great info! Thank you! I'll definitely check out those hotels. We always go down the day before too since Pittsburgh weather in February is pretty sketchy too.

We normally don't care about the specialty dining either but we always get a suite which comes with meals that were in chops when we were on navigator. I bet they would have an alternative venue to serve the same purpose should chops not be ready. Not a big deal but I was curious.

What is your favorite port in the southern Caribbean?

We did a B2B on AOS this past May and had no need for the specialty restaurant . And from what I understand now post drydock you can order some of the Chops offerings at Giovanni's until Chops is officially completed.

We used the Sheraton Old Town for our pre-cruise stay...loved the location.

Looking forward to RCI opening the schedule for May 2018 to book again.

Enjoy AOS !!

It really depends on what you like to do! Our favorite beach port is Barbados. We are beach people and the sand is white and soooo soft. The beaches are flat and so beautiful. We love going to Boatyard beach. Can't beat the entry fee for what you get! Also, it's always super hot there because it's so far south! We love the heat, especially in January!

For shopping, we love St Maarten. We don't usually do too much shopping but they have a great little area right outside of the ship.

For tours, we enjoy St. Lucia. Ziplining at Treetop Adventure Park was the best tour we've ever done. That was about 3 years ago. It's gone up in price a tad but still not bad for what you get!

thanks again for the info. we mainly do beach excursions and shopping. i think we would enjoy the zip line too. we steer clear of scuba /boat ride to excursions and anything with a long bus ride.

we are looking at the st.Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St.Lucia, and Barbados intinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've sailed out of San Juan, twice, recently but we've gone on Carnival. I just saw the itinerary you posted. Your itinerary is very similar to the one Carnival does, only difference is St. Thomas USVI, instead of Antigua (which I've heard great things about). This is, hands down, our favorite itinerary. Favorite port? That is tough since we love them all. These islands are all very scenic and just beautiful to sail into. Barbados is more industrial where the ships dock, but the beaches/water are beautiful. I really can't say I have a favorite since I love them all and there is something for everyone on each of the islands.

We have also flown down the day before on each of our cruises. We were looking into the Caribe Hilton but the prices were more than we wanted to pay. We decided on the Courtyard by Marriott on Isla Verde Beach for a few reasons. We like that the hotel is right on Isla Verde Beach, the price was very reasonable, and it's located right across from the airport. We were impressed with it the first time (2013) so we booked again in 2015 when we did that same itinerary.

Since it's Carnival that we sailed on, I really can't help with the embarkation process. Carnival actually docks in Old San Juan while Adventure will be docked at the Pan American Pier. We have noticed since the ships leaving San Juan usually sail away later in the evening, embarkation for us on Carnival, has usually been a lot smoother since you don't have a lot of people checking in at the same time as you do for a 4PM sail away.

Hope this helps.

PS. I'm a displaced Pittsburgh gal living in VA :D

Edited by pghsteelerfan

i didn't realize there were different docks. good to know!

I've heard some good things about the Isla Verde area.

We have been to just about every caribbean port in the eastern and western itineraries at least once so i think the southern will be refreshing. after all i probably would still go even if we went to the exact same places each time! it's just good to be out cruising in the caribbean weather. especially when it's 19 degrees in Pittsburgh. Good to hear from yinz! thanks!

ship departs at 8:30 PM. does embark begin later?

No....boarding usually starts around 10:30am-11:00am.... We ended up having only approx one hour of the ship to ourselves on our B2B turnaround day this past May.

No....boarding usually starts around 10:30am-11:00am.... We ended up having only approx one hour of the ship to ourselves on our B2B turnaround day this past May.

Any chance you recall what time you had to be out of your room? And off the ship? We are staying in San Juan, so we aren't in a rush.

Any chance you recall what time you had to be out of your room? And off the ship? We are staying in San Juan, so we aren't in a rush.

Per the (my) form from our last May Adventure cruise "As You Depart" All guests are required to have vacated their staterooms before 9:30am...Latest debarkation luggage tag is 10:45am (independant guests) ask for that color code tags if you want to be in the last group off.

In addition to what Ashland posted- most hotels will store your luggage- as they fully know the patterns that customers get on and off the boat for.

Last Saturday, we got off the Adventure, put our stuff in Barrichinas, and then walked around town. Funny thing is- we had to wait for about an hour before the shops opened up... They were all waiting for the passengers to get off the other ships that were in the port.

BTW, if you are not looking for a beach resort hotel, as laura suggested, there are some cool places in Old San Juan, too. While there are hotels near the PanAm port, I'd much rather stay there. Basically, finding a good hotel isn't a problem- you need to figure out what you want to do in San Juan- beach, history, go driving someplace, etc. Everyone has their preference- and if you share what you like, I'm sure someone here likes doing the same thing and can suggest a great hotel.

thanks again for the info. we mainly do beach excursions and shopping. i think we would enjoy the zip line too. we steer clear of scuba /boat ride to excursions and anything with a long bus ride.

we are looking at the st.Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St.Lucia, and Barbados intinerary.

One other thing- with that itinerary- assuming you don't do it again, I would suggest that you violate your no boat rule in St. Lucia- the #1 highlight of island is arguably the Pintons- which is a pretty long way from the port- the fastest route there being a boat. (BTW, we heard some other suite guests talk to the Suite Concierge about a private speed boat there...)

Something to consider.

In addition to what Ashland posted- most hotels will store your luggage- as they fully know the patterns that customers get on and off the boat for.

Last Saturday, we got off the Adventure, put our stuff in Barrichinas, and then walked around town. Funny thing is- we had to wait for about an hour before the shops opened up... They were all waiting for the passengers to get off the other ships that were in the port.

BTW, if you are not looking for a beach resort hotel, as laura suggested, there are some cool places in Old San Juan, too. While there are hotels near the PanAm port, I'd much rather stay there. Basically, finding a good hotel isn't a problem- you need to figure out what you want to do in San Juan- beach, history, go driving someplace, etc. Everyone has their preference- and if you share what you like, I'm sure someone here likes doing the same thing and can suggest a great hotel.

Thank you!

We already have our hotel booked, staying at the Marriott Stellaris because we had points.

We were going to go straight to our hotel with hopes we can get into our room, but our actual check in isn't until 4. We didn't wanna have to rush off the ship if we aren't trying to make a flight like most people.

Did you find the same to be true on the times?

One other thing- with that itinerary- assuming you don't do it again, I would suggest that you violate your no boat rule in St. Lucia- the #1 highlight of island is arguably the Pintons- which is a pretty long way from the port- the fastest route there being a boat. (BTW, we heard some other suite guests talk to the Suite Concierge about a private speed boat there...)

Something to consider.

Thanks! We will have to consider that for st Lucia. Wife is ok on big ships but gets very seasick very quickly on smaller boats. Basically the tender boat trips are her max for small boats which is the reason for the boat excursion rule for us.

Thank you!

We already have our hotel booked, staying at the Marriott Stellaris because we had points.

We were going to go straight to our hotel with hopes we can get into our room, but our actual check in isn't until 4. We didn't wanna have to rush off the ship if we aren't trying to make a flight like most people.

Did you find the same to be true on the times?

Seems like it- I'd give them a call. We saw that happen at the Sheraton and El Convento when we stayed with them post cruise.

We've mainly done trips out of San Juan. I find it super easy. As mentioned there are 2 different docks. Where carnival docks it makes it easier to get back off and do a last minute run to CVS for water or anything you may of forgotten.

LOVE the southern ports (19 days until we're heading back).

Agree, boatyard is the best in Barbados.

St Lucia, treetop adventures was amazing (we did the triple which was open aired safari truck, zip line and waterfall)

St Kitts if you like a tour that consists of everything check out Javin. We've been twice. He's awesome!!

We too have always gone in a day or two early. If you've never been to San Juan go early to extend your trip and tour the forts. They are incredible. Enjoy!

We've mainly done trips out of San Juan. I find it super easy. As mentioned there are 2 different docks. Where carnival docks it makes it easier to get back off and do a last minute run to CVS for water or anything you may of forgotten.

LOVE the southern ports (19 days until we're heading back).

Agree, boatyard is the best in Barbados.

St Lucia, treetop adventures was amazing (we did the triple which was open aired safari truck, zip line and waterfall)

St Kitts if you like a tour that consists of everything check out Javin. We've been twice. He's awesome!!

We too have always gone in a day or two early. If you've never been to San Juan go early to extend your trip and tour the forts. They are incredible. Enjoy!

thanks for the info, we are looking forward to the southern itinerary

Mark

We are doing that exact itinerary on the Adventure in March!

• 2 months later...
Hello! As you can see in my signature, I am pretty familiar with sailing out of San Juan. In my opinion, it's the best! The airport is only about 20-30 mins from the port. We always go in a day before because we cruise in January and the likelihood of getting stranded in Kansas City is high!

We loved staying at Embassy Suites last year. It's only a couple minute walk from a gorgeous beach (Isla Verde). It was booked this year so we're staying at Hampton Inn in the same area. We've also stayed at Hilton Caribe which was awesome but a little more $$$.

I believe you are correct about Chops Grille but I think it will be done by the time you cruise. We don't use specialty dining so that's not a big deal to us. We love Adventure of the Seas. We leave in 2 weeks for our back to back cruise so we will soon find out what got done and what didn't on the ship. But in our opinion, the ship was perfectly fine before the refurbishment!

I hope this helps you a little bit!

I read that the Chops Grille opened on the March 4th sailing...