Grandeur sailing 1/14 missing Charleston

Charleston is back on the itineraries, so it was some kind of glitch. We have friends who live near Charleston and we may meet up with them, but otherwise, can't decide what to do while there.

Take a carriage ride, walk thru the market, stroll down E Bay Street and look at the beautiful homes along Rainbow Row. Walk along the Quay and look out at our beautiful Ravenel Bridge! All of that will keep you close enough to the ship but allow you to see a lot of our beautiful city!

Avoid lunch at Hyman's. It is just a tourist trap. Instead try lunch at SNOB (Slightly North of Broad), 82 Queen, Husk, Magnolia's , Poogans Porch,

5 Church, etc. I could go on forever as we have so many fabulous restaurants! If you just want dessert, go to Kaminsky's right opposite the Market!

Enjoy our city! It is the #1 tourist city in the world. That's rated by Conde Nast, not just me!!!

yay! i am really looking forward to just going into town, going to the market, maybe touring some old homes, a carriage ride and a fabulous lunch.

You can't go wrong at Low Country Bistro on Market Street. :D

Not much we can do about it if they cancel it. At least some people got to see it. I don't think Charleston was too happy to have us there to begin with. I guess they would sooner have Carnival. I think Carnival have cruises that leave from there.

Most people here in Charleston are perfectly happy with cruise ships porting here, but there is a small but very vocal minority who keeps yapping about how bad the ships are. When argument fails, they try another. It's been going on forever, but we do get cruise ships although there is a limit to the total number of port calls that can be made in a year. Carnival has one ship that home ports here. There are occasionally port stops by other ships, mostly from smaller luxury lines, but I'd love to be driving over the Ravenel Bridge one day and see a Royal ship docked downtown!

Take a carriage ride, walk thru the market, stroll down E Bay Street and look at the beautiful homes along Rainbow Row. Walk along the Quay and look out at our beautiful Ravenel Bridge! All of that will keep you close enough to the ship but allow you to see a lot of our beautiful city!

Avoid lunch at Hyman's. It is just a tourist trap. Instead try lunch at SNOB (Slightly North of Broad), 82 Queen, Husk, Magnolia's , Poogans Porch,

5 Church, etc. I could go on forever as we have so many fabulous restaurants! If you just want dessert, go to Kaminsky's right opposite the Market!

Enjoy our city! It is the #1 tourist city in the world. That's rated by Conde Nast, not just me!!!

A few additional options:

Plantation tour to Middleton Place or Boone Hall

Ferry to Ft. Sumter and/or Patriot's Point Maritime Museum

Tour the Calhoun Mansion or Edmonston Alston House

Lunch at Sermet's, or take an Uber over the bridge the Shem Creek area of Mt. Pleasant and have lunch at Tavern & Table overlooking the creek and shrimp boats

I lived in Charleston for 8 years while in the Air Force. You all that are going there should really like it. I would really be interested in what excursions Royal is offering.

Here is a link to the Port Authority Schedule for 2017 and Grandeur is on there throughout 2017.

http://www.scspa.com/wp-content/uploads/cruise-calendar-all-ships-2017.pdf

This link is to an article about the cruise ship terminal controversy in Charleston

http://www.postandcourier.com/business/charleston-cruise-ship-terminal-hearing-delayed----again/article_ba55a60c-9f79-11e6-8b3c-ebf51258ff18.html

You don't get that much time in Charleston as you sail at 4 PM, so I wouldn't go too far. You could take the water taxi over to Patriots Point and tour our Naval vessel.

If you find out what your available tours are, we Charlestonians can advise you of other tour options!

Could have written this myself. Agree with every word. We too live in the Charleston area (about 20 minutes from the port). We absolutely love and are so proud of our fair city.

Could have written this myself. Agree with every word. We too live in the Charleston area (about 20 minutes from the port). We absolutely love and are so proud of our fair city.

Thank you! I live in Summerville, also!

Oh, if you have time and the weather is nice, another option for lunch or drinks is the rooftop bar at the Market Pavilion Hotel. It's a tad pricey but the rooftop is beautiful and has a view, and you can practically spit at the ship, it's so close. The food is great too!

Edited by waterbug123

Oh, if you have time and the weather is nice, another option for lunch or drinks is the rooftop bar at the Market Pavilion Hotel. It's a tad pricey but the rooftop is beautiful and has a view, and you can practically spit at the ship, it's so close. The food is great too!

I've noticed a couple of the restaurants that I've looked at have a lot of seafood on the menu. I'm allergic to shellfish (shrimp in particular) and DH could care less about seafood, so anyplace that doesn't have a lot of it on their menus? We'll need a place for lunch since we'll probably be out exploring all day. And yes, the itinerary for Charleston is 7 am to 4 pm which means since most things don't open til prob 10, we only have about 5 hours to tour. We're not going til April 8, but I'm trying to plan.