Guaranteed Balcony Question

Hey all,

My wife and I are planning on sailing on the Allure of the Seas in April and we chose the guarenteed Ocean view room with balcony. This is our first time sailing with RC (we've done a couple other cruises with a different company before this). Just wondering how the room selection works. Do you not find out until embarkation day? Is there a risk of getting a shared balcony and shared room? I'm worried about that. This is one of the few times we will not have our kids with us and probably our last vacation for awhile without them. The Web site only gave me the choice of picking a large balcony room and it was significantly more expensive.

Could anyone provide some experience and comments on this? Thank you in advance. Cheers!

You can receive your stateroom assignment anytime between now and the day you arrive at the pier.

Not sure what you mean by a "shared" balcony or "shared" room. All the balconies are private to my knowledge.

Confused - typically a balcony guarantee is less costly than the standard fare when picking your own stateroom, otherwise why choose a guarantee where the stateroom is assigned to you?

There are no shared rooms or shared balconies - also not sure what you mean by that.

We've done guarantees in the past and if the assigned stateroom was not to our liking we were able to select another available room in the same assigned category.

The staterooms can be assigned anytime from several weeks prior and up to day of sailing. In our experience it has usually been 1-2 weeks before departure.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You can receive your stateroom assignment anytime between now and the day you arrive at the pier.

Not sure what you mean by a "shared" balcony or "shared" room. All the balconies are private to my knowledge.

Sorry let me clear that up. I assume there's a glass divider for the balconies anyway but I've read that the rooms with a door so groups or families can go between rooms without going in to the hallway can be less than private. You can hear everything going on in the other room. I'd rather not have that problem. Is there any chance of getting one of those rooms without specifying?

Sorry let me clear that up. I assume there's a glass divider for the balconies anyway but I've read that the rooms with a door so groups or families can go between rooms without going in to the hallway can be less than private. You can hear everything going on in the other room. I'd rather not have that problem. Is there any chance of getting one of those rooms without specifying?

You cannot specify any stateroom with a guarantee purchase option - they are selected for you. There are ships with balcony dividers that are locked but at the passengers request and with ship staff permission can be opened. But that would not occur between strangers.

And yes there are connecting rooms - just as in a hotel - but the doors between are locked unless both parties request them to be opened. It is possible that these rooms can be less noise insulated at the connecting door. If assigned one you can ask to change to a non-connecting room if available prior to sailing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Confused - typically a balcony guarantee is less costly than the standard fare when picking your own stateroom, otherwise why choose a guarantee where the stateroom is assigned to you?

There are no shared rooms or shared balconies - also not sure what you mean by that.

We've done guarantees in the past and if the assigned stateroom was not to our liking we were able to select another available room in the same assigned category.

The staterooms can be assigned anytime from several weeks prior and up to day of sailing. In our experience it has usually been 1-2 weeks before departure.

The RC Web site didn't give me an option to choose a specific balcony room. The only option was this Guarenteed Ocean view stateroom with balcony and then it went right to inputting the guests names. I was assuming they would just assign you one. No options for deck # or room #

The RC Web site didn't give me an option to choose a specific balcony room. The only option was this Guarenteed Ocean view stateroom with balcony and then it went right to inputting the guests names. I was assuming they would just assign you one. No options for deck # or room #

You can ask to change to a different room AFTER it is assigned if a preferred location is available within the assigned category. As mentioned, you cannot specify any room requests prior to assignment.

All balconies are private and the connecting door will not be opened without your consent.

You may be assigned a connecting stateroom. If you are booked under US/Canadian rules, RC normally allows you to change your assigned stateroom to another available stateroom in the same exact category as has been assigned.

Then that is the only available category. How soon is your sailing? This usually only occurs near the embarkation date.

As others have written, you could receive your cabin assignment any time between THISVERYSECOND and the morning of embarkation at the pier.

Do you live in North America?

You should create a My Cruises page on the RC website. http://www.royalcaribbean.com

Then you will populate it with your cruise reservation, and your cabin assignment, when made, will appear there. You will then also be able to make reservations on line for entertainment and dinner.

Then that is the only available category. How soon is your sailing? This usually only occurs near the embarkation date.

As others have written, you could receive your cabin assignment any time between THISVERYSECOND and the morning of embarkation at the pier.

Do you live in North America?

You should create a My Cruises page on the RC website. http://www.royalcaribbean.com

Then you will populate it with your cruise reservation, and your cabin assignment, when made, will appear there. You will then also be able to make reservations on line for entertainment and dinner.

We don't leave until the end of April so there's time (about 108 days but who's counting right?!?!) I have created a My Cruise profile and have excursions, dining and massages set up already. Can't reserve shows until 90 days out from what I've read. We do live in North America

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Benwah311

We don't leave until the end of April so there's time (about 108 days but who's counting right?!?!) I have created a My Cruise profile and have excursions, dining and massages set up already. Can't reserve shows until 90 days out from what I've read. We do live in North America

Thanks for the info!

Keep checking that My Cruises page for your cabin assignment.

Since you are in North America, they will allow you to switch to any other cabin in your EXACT category.

That means that if they assign you a D8, you can only switch to another D8. Not a D4. Not a D1. Not a D7. ONLY a D8.

My email address is in my signature for more advice. ;)

I was glad to see this.

I booked a balcony guarantee on Grandeur in July. There was no option at all to choose a balcony. The only balcony option was a guarantee. Seeing as all the balconies are on deck 7, I wasn't too concerned. I hope I am reading this info correctly.

We booked the same category and I just got my cabin assignment- 4 days after making final payment and after I started the Check-in paperwork online. Not sure if that's why, but I am sailing early April. Try doing the passenger check-in and see if that triggers a cabin assignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

We don't mind where we are located on the ship, we are just pleased to have a balcony and whenever a balcony guarantee is available we nab it immediately! Under UK booking rules, we can not change the cabin assigned which is a pity as it makes it a bit more 'risky' - but it doesn't stop us booking them because they are usually a real bargain.

If I am not 100% happy, I make the call to try and change location, but without exception, we have been denied the swap. :rolleyes:

But as I say, we feel there is no such thing as a 'bad' balcony.

If you mind where you are located, don't book one, but if you don't mind - go for it !! :)

It's fun checking every day to see if the assignment has been made (not that you have to, they do email to advise, but I love the anticipation!), and only once was our assignment within a couple of weeks of sailing, all the others have been made weeks/months ahead of the sailing date.

On 4 occasions we have booked a suite guarantee - and twice been allocated a GS!

Good luck with your choice and I hope it works out for you :)

Jean

Edited by Jeannie333333

We booked the same category and I just got my cabin assignment- 4 days after making final payment and after I started the Check-in paperwork online. Not sure if that's why, but I am sailing early April. Try doing the passenger check-in and see if that triggers a cabin assignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just went on to the My Cruise page and it says I can't start the check in paperwork until 90 days prior to the cruise. Not quite there yet so maybe that's when they will assign the rooms. I'll keep checking... we have made the full payment on the cruise so it doesn't have to do with not being full on the payments. Thanks for the info though!

Hi,

We don't mind where we are located on the ship, we are just pleased to have a balcony and whenever a balcony guarantee is available we nab it immediately! Under UK booking rules, we can not change the cabin assigned which is a pity as it makes it a bit more 'risky' - but it doesn't stop us booking them because they are usually a real bargain.

If I am not 100% happy, I make the call to try and change location, but without exception, we have been denied the swap. :rolleyes:

But as I say, we feel there is no such thing as a 'bad' balcony.

If you mind where you are located, don't book one, but if you don't mind - go for it !! :)

It's fun checking every day to see if the assignment has been made (not that you have to, they do email to advise, but I love the anticipation!), and only once was our assignment within a couple of weeks of sailing, all the others have been made weeks/months ahead of the sailing date.

On 4 occasions we have booked a suite guarantee - and twice been allocated a GS!

Good luck with your choice and I hope it works out for you :)

Jean

Ah that would be awesome to be upgraded! We couldn't afford anything more than the balcony guarantee choice and are celebrating our anniversary. That would be a nice treat :)

If it's the April 23rd Allure cruise you're on, counting 108 days from yesterday, there are plenty of D balconies available and I've found in the past with our well over 20 guaranty bookings assignment is usually very quick, with in a week or so, with this situation. For example we booked our upcoming this week Anthem cruise as a X Gty on October 22 while onboard Brilliance and had our deck 12 D5 cabin assigned 2 days later as there was a huge number of Cat D5 cabins and actually all D balconies available for selection.

With us it's when cabin availability is poor that it is when we've had to wait for our cabin assignment. Latest this has been done for us is 3 days prior to sailing although one could have to wait until arriving at the ship but I suspect this rarely happens.

Edited by robtulipe

If it's the April 23rd Allure cruise you're on, counting 108 days from yesterday, there are plenty of D balconies available and I've found in the past with our well over 20 guaranty bookings assignment is usually very quick, with in a week or so, with this situation. For example we booked our upcoming this week Anthem cruise as a X Gty on October 22 while onboard Brilliance and had our deck 12 D5 cabin assigned 2 days later as there was a huge number of Cat D5 cabins and actually all D balconies available for selection.

With us it's when cabin availability is poor that it is when we've had to wait for our cabin assignment. Latest this has been done for us is 3 days prior to sailing although one could have to wait until arriving at the ship but I suspect this rarely happens.

So I booked ours about 5 or 6 days ago and according to the My Cruise page, our cabin is still unavailable. Should I just keep waiting or call?

So I booked ours about 5 or 6 days ago and according to the My Cruise page, our cabin is still unavailable. Should I just keep waiting or call?

No, just wait for your assignment. Remember the assignment can happen anytime up to when you board the ship but IMO you won't have to wait that long.

I suspect you'll have your assignment within two weeks or so. It may be just after the final payment date which is 90 days prior.