Luggage Tags, new slant on topic I promise!!!

tine-tine

I just got our tags in the mail yesterday. Why does it say to attach to luggage before leaving home????:eek::eek::eek:

Probably so if your luggage does not arrive when you do at the airport then the airline will know where the luggage has to go once it does arrive.

I was speaking with Celebrity recently about my account and brought up luggage tags. I used the Porter method last year and I was enquiring if they would be sent this year. She informed me that they are no longer sent to UK guests by mail but I could use one of two methods, either print from the doc or and this I find strange use the barcode and the Porters have a machine that prints similar to airline tags!!! I have never seen or heard of this but thought oh well must be new then a few days later back on to Celebrity again for another matter and brought up the tags once more as I was a bit unsure abut the barcode only to be told by this person that he had never heard of the barcode method. Anyone with any input on this, either way it does not really matter but I am intrigued!

I have always been concerned that the label you print and those issued by porters do not have barcodes. My reasoning is: why print barcodes on the labels that are posted if they are not important/useful? Never received an answer. All I know is that, yet again, I had to print our own and we received our luggage well before 3:00 p.m. However, I believe that may have been due to our great stateroom attendant rather than the system.

It does annoy me greatly that, even booking a PH, in the UK Celebrity cannot post me a few luggage labels. If there is not a UK company capable of producing them, for what we pay they could post them from the USA.

Edited by Project_gal

Well, who would have thought it! I decided to phone Celebrity to have a bit of a moan about official labels no longer being posted out in the UK, I had just got to the bit where I was explaining they were no longer showing as a request in the UK when he said I could either use the ones in the booklet or he could post them out!!! I did not want to beleaguer the point and he rather took me by surprise so I asked were they same as the plastic type coloured version and he assured me yes, asked how many I wanted, I said six and he said he would send me around 10 and they would be mailed that day. Well what more can I say than I will update you once they arrive if they are remotely like the ones supplied for previous cruises!:):):)

Well, who would have thought it! I decided to phone Celebrity to have a bit of a moan about official labels no longer being posted out in the UK, I had just got to the bit where I was explaining they were no longer showing as a request in the UK when he said I could either use the ones in the booklet or he could post them out!!! I did not want to beleaguer the point and he rather took me by surprise so I asked were they same as the plastic type coloured version and he assured me yes, asked how many I wanted, I said six and he said he would send me around 10 and they would be mailed that day. Well what more can I say than I will update you once they arrive if they are remotely like the ones supplied for previous cruises!:):):)
There should be no need for concern either way.

When we cruised from the UK, the luggage tags provided at the port were the same kind we get for cruises at US ports.

UK friends who cruise frequently assured us that there would be no problem getting our luggage tagged right there, and they were correct.

They had a plentiful supply of the usual blank luggage tags available, the kind with adhesive backing that takes less than a minute to write our cabin number on and attach.

The porters were right there tagging bags for anyone who wanted their help, but we did our own (being very accustomed to tagging our bags for flights ourselves at our local airport).

The porters then loaded our bags right on the same luggage trolleys together with the luggage that had been pre-tagged.

It was quick and easy, no problem at all.

There should be no need for concern either way.

When we cruised from the UK, the luggage tags provided at the port were the same kind we get for cruises at US ports.

UK friends who cruise frequently assured us that there would be no problem getting our luggage tagged right there, and they were correct.

They had a plentiful supply of the usual blank luggage tags available, the kind with adhesive backing that takes less than a minute to write our cabin number on and attach.

The porters were right there tagging bags for anyone who wanted their help, but we did our own (being very accustomed to tagging our bags for flights ourselves at our local airport).

The porters then loaded our bags right on the same luggage trolleys together with the luggage that had been pre-tagged.

It was quick and easy, no problem at all.

That misses the point that the pre-printed labels that (used to be) posted out (in the UK, at least) had barcodes. If there are barcodes, the assumption has to be that they are used during the embarkation of luggage and, therefore, the lack of barcodes reduces the efficiency. If the barcodes are not required, why print them?

I wait to hear if the OP receives labels (in the past, they have not arrived when the UK office has ordered them for me) and whether or not these have barcodes.

Edited by Project_gal

• 2 weeks later...

Well sadly I have to report the labels did not arrive! Contacting Celebrity UK again they had no record of my lengthy conversation and the offer initiated by the call handler!! Am I surprised, well only partially as my expectations were not great but he did appear convincing! What the new call handler tells me is they only have the labels that the Porters use, which are similar type to the printed variety, without the cabin number or colour! The staff personally appropriate these by taking handfuls when they take their training cruises etc, he tells me they are as scarce as 'hens teeth' and is sending out the six they have left in office. I told him not to bother as what I wanted was the same as the rest of US who still receive labels and my money is just as good as theirs. When pushed for the reason apparently they had problems with the U.K. supplier and as there was no demand for the labels did not feel the need to find another supplier! So my message was to those who cruise out of the UK - phone and ask and create the demand, why should we get a lesser product?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So my message was to those who cruise out of the UK - phone and ask and create the demand, why should we get a lesser product?
Speaking for myself, it's not worth expending the energy for a piece of paper that's going to be on the bag for no more than about 6 hours (and sometimes less) before going into the bin. If it works to get the bag to my room, it's fine! IME on other cruise lines, the porters' tags or the stapled printed electronic tags work perfectly well - and it sounds like Celebrity is no different.

• 4 weeks later...
The luggage tag at the back of our electronic ticket booklet looks like a single sheet of paper that you're supposed to fold and fold. The instructions then say: "After folding is completed, staple twice or tape the tag around the luggage handle in the areas indicated."

Do the porters or the pier staff have staplers handy for this? It would save them having to write out a new tag if we can print these and all that's needed is a couple of staples.

To answer my own question: Yes, the porters have staplers handy (you don't even need to go to a desk) and they weren't at all surprised to be asked to staple those folded sheets of paper. It all worked like clockwork.