Luggage Tags, new slant on topic I promise!!!

tine-tine

I was speaking with Celebrity recently about my account and brought up luggage tags. I used the Porter method last year and I was enquiring if they would be sent this year. She informed me that they are no longer sent to UK guests by mail but I could use one of two methods, either print from the doc or and this I find strange use the barcode and the Porters have a machine that prints similar to airline tags!!! I have never seen or heard of this but thought oh well must be new then a few days later back on to Celebrity again for another matter and brought up the tags once more as I was a bit unsure abut the barcode only to be told by this person that he had never heard of the barcode method. Anyone with any input on this, either way it does not really matter but I am intrigued!

The first time we sailed with Celebrity we booked with a well known British TA.

When it came to the tags, we were in Italy for a month before the cruise so, because of dates, post etc., etc., we just rolled up and smiled at the porters and they fixed us up.

I seem to remember it was a right going on. Don't know why. Since then I have always printed them out and stuck them on before boarding. The French department of Celebrity don't send them out either.

Last year I ordered tags and they never arrived.

I sail again with them in March, I have paid but there is nothing to click on to print tags

Not very helpful are they

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tags will not be available until about 40 days prior to sailing. The website states this.

Have never seen any barcode printers. I always have the porter do my tags -- I gave up on ordering them many cruises ago. They have blank tags and they write in the stateroom number and usually mark on the diagram which quadrant of the ship the room is in. I frankly can't imagine any line having these printers at each and every embarkation port, and there are dozens of porters involved. I think the barcode printer is a fantasy :rolleyes:

I use these luggage tag holders that you can get on Amazon. I've seen several of those flimsy tags, especially the ones the porters use at the pier, fall off. https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holders-Caribbean-Celebrity/dp/B00IAA82IE

You can easily print your own luggage tags to fit inside the above holders using this pdf luggage tag tool: http://www.zansstuff.com/luggage-tags

I use these luggage tag holders that you can get on Amazon. I've seen several of those flimsy tags, especially the ones the porters use at the pier, fall off. https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holders-Caribbean-Celebrity/dp/B00IAA82IE

You can easily print your own luggage tags to fit inside the above holders using this pdf luggage tag tool: http://www.zansstuff.com/luggage-tags

Bookmarkig this post! We usually let the porters tag but for the 2nd time a tag got lost and luggage got delayed. Not sure that's worth the $2-3 tip per bag.. :o

You can also buy clear luggage tag holders from cruise critic. This way you can print out the bag tag from you're docs and place in clear luggage tag holder. I did this for my one and only HAL cruise because HAL did not provide pre printed luggage tags like Celebrity.

We've used these for our last two cruises. In the U.K. they no lomger send out luggage tags but we print them from our edocs and pop them in these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used the Porters labels last year which worked just fine. I am just intrigued about being told their is a barcode system similar to airlines labels! I have received labels in the mail for all my previous cruises bar the last one, I prefer these are they are fairly sturdy, obviously coloured for the decks plus I cannot be bothered with the faff of clear tape and all that folderol of printed DIY that may fall off. The Porters labels will do for me but I thought airline style labels was a great idea, sturdy and with a barcode no lost luggage, well that is the theory!!!

The luggage tag at the back of our electronic ticket booklet looks like a single sheet of paper that you're supposed to fold and fold. The instructions then say: "After folding is completed, staple twice or tape the tag around the luggage handle in the areas indicated."

Do the porters or the pier staff have staplers handy for this? It would save them having to write out a new tag if we can print these and all that's needed is a couple of staples.

The OP is getting mixed advice. In the US, I understand tags are printed and posted out. In the UK this has ceased. You are expected to print your own, fold them up and staple them on your cases. What could possibly go wrong?

I assume that the barcode people are referring to is the one on your check in documents? I wouldn't trust unidentified luggage to any system but if others are happy with it, good luck to them.Last time out, after paying handsomely for a suite I used half a cartridge of colour ink printing labels and then laminated and punched them. It's nonsense and cheapskating by X.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

In the US they are available 40 days prior to your cruise. I went online last weekend and there's a button 4 luggage tags and there's also a button once there at your request that they mail them to you and sure enough I received them this week in the mail. You can print them out but I do not believe there is a barcode if you print them out. The tag that came in the mail are more like stickers but do you have the barcodes.

I order the tags online and print my own tags out that comes with our e-doc. I ordered holders on Amazon. The holders are great. I print my tags out then make labels with our last name on it in yellow. Then I laminate the tags and fold them into the holder. It is so much fun.

I printed ours as well and they also mailed them to us this week. But if I'm correct the tags you print yourself don't have the bar code in them like the tags they mail you. Am I correct on that? And if so, doesn't it need to have the bar code on it? Does it matter since your room number is on the tag anyway?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

I bought (Amazon) and use these tags also, work very well. Just printed, folded and slipped them in, appear to be very sturdy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always print, fold and put the tags in these sold at Cruise Critic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46

I like these ones because they have the wider ones for cruise lines like Princess and the narrower ones for cruise lines like Celebrity. They're clear plastic on both sides whereas a lot of the others aren't. They're bendable, so if they get caught on something, they don't bend and break, they just bend and pop back into the usual shape.

I was speaking with Celebrity recently about my account and brought up luggage tags. I used the Porter method last year and I was enquiring if they would be sent this year. She informed me that they are no longer sent to UK guests by mail but I could use one of two methods, either print from the doc or and this I find strange use the barcode and the Porters have a machine that prints similar to airline tags!!! ...

For all our cruises so far we have always requested and received luggage tags through the mail. So I have no experience with dockside porters creating tags by hand or any other way.

But the "barcodes" notion intrigued me. I remember many many years ago hearing a presentation describing how a large organization was streamlining their logistics through barcoding of basically everything, greatly simplifying inventory control etc. And of course FedEx and UPS (and other large shippers?) and airlines for several years now have used barcodes to track things. So sure, why not luggage on its way onto a cruise ship?

I just checked. Our tags for the upcoming cruise do in fact have a barcode section - I think this is not new but have never noticed before. I then checked our Xpress Passes. Those also have a barcode. But the Xpress Passes code is basically the reservation number. The luggage tag barcode is something totally else. So, again, I am quite intrigued by the barcode notion and am curious to know how it is implemented dockside. Thanks for bringing this up?

Stan

I was speaking with Celebrity recently about my account and brought up luggage tags. I used the Porter method last year and I was enquiring if they would be sent this year. She informed me that they are no longer sent to UK guests by mail but I could use one of two methods, either print from the doc or and this I find strange use the barcode and the Porters have a machine that prints similar to airline tags!!! I have never seen or heard of this but thought oh well must be new then a few days later back on to Celebrity again for another matter and brought up the tags once more as I was a bit unsure abut the barcode only to be told by this person that he had never heard of the barcode method. Anyone with any input on this, either way it does not really matter but I am intrigued!

Mine didn't arrive in time in 2015. The porter was able to print them out on the pier.

I order the tags online and print my own tags out that comes with our e-doc. I ordered holders on Amazon. The holders are great. I print my tags out then make labels with our last name on it in yellow. Then I laminate the tags and fold them into the holder. It is so much fun.

Thanks for the information....we'll use the plastic holders for the Celebrity tags we order prior to air/cruise and WILL put on our suitcases before we fly (some cruisers don't like to do that). Last cruise, we did this for the first time and very happy we did so. Airline lost our bags and when they found them (delivered one to the port after 3 days at sea, the other after we came home) we were told it was easier to identify with the cruise tags we had placed on them.

FYI Canadians: To order in Canada, use Amazon.ca, then travel accessories. I've been wondering where I could find these luggage tag holders (and the colourful towel pegs as well).

Edited by oceangoer2

Mine didn't arrive in time in 2015. The porter was able to print them out on the pier.

We took a last minute cruise once and couldn't get luggage tags. The porter hand wrote them out at the pier. They were pretty flimsy as I recall.

We took a last minute cruise once and couldn't get luggage tags. The porter hand wrote them out at the pier. They were pretty flimsy as I recall.

Yes, kind of like if you printed them at home. Kudos to the staff for getting all our luggage to our rooms without losing any tags.